Weekes: Panthers working on extensions for Montour and Forsling

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
These will be very interesting deals.

Montour will be 30 soon, and Forsling isn't far from 30.

Does Forsling get a Weegar deal? 6-ish for 7-8years?

Does Montour get 8 years? Or does he take a higher AAV for 4-5 years?

Montour deal could age very poorly if they overpay for his last season.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If we re-sign these two to extensions it pretty much guarantees we lose Reinhart in the offseason. Especially due to the incredible start he has had this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Forsling will be 28 in 2024. That's basically the standard age for players hitting UFA. Anywhere from 6-8 years is what I would expect. This is the big contract for him. I mean, if Severson got $6.25 per, I think that's ballpark what Forsling is seeking.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

If youre not 22 then you're 35.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I swear to god, everyone in this league is 29 or 30 yo.

I can't remember the last time I looked someone up and was like "Oh wow, they're 23. Cool!" It's always 29, 30, or 31 yo.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
All jokes aside like the Panthers are trying to win the damn thing. Barkov is 28. Tkachuk is goin to be 26 in a couple months. Their core is like 23-29 years old right now.

Who cares about this after 6 seasons. They need to push for the next half decade and worry about it later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I swear to god, everyone in this league is 29 or 30 yo.

I can't remember the last time I looked someone up and was like "Oh wow, they're 23. Cool!" It's always 29, 30, or 31 yo.
When talking UFA contracts, need 7 years experience, it's going to be late 20's or early 30's. 23 is coming off elc contract.

Reactions: Daz28 and bossram

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
All jokes aside like the Panthers are trying to win the damn thing. Barkov is 28. Tkachuk is goin to be 26 in a couple months. Their core is like 23-29 years old right now.

Who cares about this after 6 seasons. They need to push for the next half decade and worry about it later.

Ehh it kinda matters when we still have Bob signed at $10mil for 2 more seasons after this one and Knight getting his pay raise.

Reinhart is a UFA next season that we probably can't bring back.
Verhaeghe, Ekblad and Bennett are UFA after next season.

There's still pennies to be saved to keep the best parts of the core intact if possible.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Very big deal for the Panthers, no pun intended, determining how their cap situation looks moving forward.

If they're lower than expected, then that's huge. But if not, then it's going to be tough to keep good depth up front when the goalie tandem makes 13M.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Ehh it kinda matters when we still have Bob signed at $10mil for 2 more seasons after this one and Knight getting his pay raise.

Reinhart is a UFA next season that we probably can't bring back.
Verhaeghe, Ekblad and Bennett are UFA after next season.

There's still pennies to be saved to keep the best parts of the core intact if possible.
Dollar amount matters 100%. I was more talking about their age and the possibility of having a bad year or two at the end. If it saves you a mil or two now, you definitely do it.

Reactions: Gizmo Tkachuk

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Very big deal for the Panthers, no pun intended, determining how their cap situation looks moving forward.

If they're lower than expected, then that's huge. But if not, then it's going to be tough to keep good depth up front when the goalie tandem makes 13M.
Bob can be moved, starting this off-season he has a modified no move, Bob at 5-6.5 mil for a team is a good deal. As to who that team is…no idea. Could be bought out, it’s more doable than most realize/care to understand.

Fwiw, Ek has the same.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I legitimately have no idea how much each of them deserve.

Maybe something like Cernak's range for Forsling - 5.5 x 8 to keep the cap hit low.

For Montour...man I don't know. He had 73 last year, but tht's way above his average. Maybe something shorter around 6? Toews got 7.25 x 7 and he's a better player, so It's gotta be sub 7 I would guess.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I legitimately have no idea how much each of them deserve.

Maybe something like Cernak's range for Forsling - 5.5 x 8 to keep the cap hit low.

For Montour...man I don't know. He had 73 last year, but tht's way above his average.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they get pretty much identical deals. Points pay but Montour is a couple years older and they basically average identical ice time.

I mean by usage and performance they are both squarely “first pairing” defensemen even if their overall profiles don’t scream “proven #1” for either. Feels like the Panthers basically have a three-man committee at the top of their blueline with these two and Ekblad, who has the biggest name but actually the least usage of the bunch.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Wouldn’t surprise me if they get pretty much identical deals. Points pay but Montour is a couple years older and they basically average identical ice time.

I mean by usage and performance they are both squarely “first pairing” defensemen even if their overall profiles don’t scream “proven #1” for either.
If their usage is 1st pairing, I may have been a little low. 1st pairing D don't ask for 5.5m.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Forsling will be 28 in 2024. That's basically the standard age for players hitting UFA. Anywhere from 6-8 years is what I would expect. This is the big contract for him. I mean, if Severson got $6.25 per, I think that's ballpark what Forsling is seeking.

Forsling is going to get 6.5-7 mil and people are going to lose their shit.

I guess I am more surprised? I didn't think he had the offensive output to get into that level of $$,

I figured 4-6 years around $4.5M range

Let's see what the next contract is now, I am really curious.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It will be interesting to see what this means for Ekblad. I imagine there won’t be the money left over to extend him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad