Pre-Game Talk: Panthers vs. Edmonton 1/11/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I remember when people were upset this team didn't hire Bylsma because it meant they were cheap and Gallant meant more of the same. :laugh:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He's way too nervous. You can see how his hand shakes when he's holding the microphone up to players.
You'd think he would have lost it over the years, but nope, still there.

Janne Niinimaa started as a studio analyst for Liiga games last season, he was so nervous and stuttering at the start, but he started to get better as he got more used to it. It's got to a point this season that you barely notice it and he doesn't sound like a robot anymore either. He's actually a really good analyst.

Then there's people that are just born to do it, like Sami Kapanen. I'm pretty sure he'd never done analyst gigs before, yet when he's been there a couple of times this season, he's sounded like he's done the job for his whole life and his face didn't even flinch. He was so calm that you'd think it was a president giving a speech or something lol.

Nope. Thornton actually has a goal :laugh:
tumblr_mp5or13dgb1qzeyu3o1_500.gif

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
How so? I actually liked Lindsay as a color commentator last year and found him much more bearable than some other team's analysts. There's even a post on sbnation ranking the Goldstein-Lindsay duo as one of the best commentating teams in the league. Potvin was on the low-end of the spectrum.

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/7/8/2250696/nhl-broadcaster-rankings-announcers-commentators

Just read the part about Potvin and it is spot on:

"Denis Potvin knows a ton about hockey and he wants the audience to know it. He's self-assured to the point of arrogance in his analysis, and why not? He's a Hall of Fame player, one of the greatest defenseman in NHL history. But being a great player doesn't make a man a great analyst and Potvin misses many of the little things that the really good analysts are able to pick up on the fly and explain. He gets caught up in the "oohs" and "aahs" of big hits and big shots and becomes a fan much too easily."

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Billy is a good comedian, but that's about it. He's a terrible analyst.

Disagree and the article states how I feel about him:

"Bill Lindsay was a plugger during his playing days, totaling 224 points in 777 games as a checking wing. His days on the penalty kill paid off as he, along with Andy Brickley, is among the very best at explaining special teams and individual breakdowns as they occur. He also understands coaching and systems like few other men on television. It's a treat to listen to him explain the tactics and strategies used by the Panthers and their opponents."

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
The #character is strong in Bolland :laugh:

He has other traits too

tumblr_luimrpwNqu1qmrfbao1_400.gif

ouuf didn't realize this. nooooow i'm starting to understand why that-bolland-thingy makes sense. he works two jobs, double shift for the panthers. :handclap:

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
Just read the part about Potvin and it is spot on:

"Denis Potvin knows a ton about hockey and he wants the audience to know it. He's self-assured to the point of arrogance in his analysis, and why not? He's a Hall of Fame player, one of the greatest defenseman in NHL history. But being a great player doesn't make a man a great analyst and Potvin misses many of the little things that the really good analysts are able to pick up on the fly and explain. He gets caught up in the "oohs" and "aahs" of big hits and big shots and becomes a fan much too easily."

I think Potvin has gotten better since then because I can't agree entirely with that opinion. I think Potvin starts talking without thinking about what he's going to say first so sometimes he ends up just stating what just happened without providing any sort of analysis. He also messes up the names more often than I think he should. Biekstad comes to mind. Overall, I like his voice and I think his analysis isn't too overbearing to the point that it interrupts the play-by-play, like the Penguins commentators, but he relies too much on certain phrases like "Oh I'll tell you" or "Let me tell you something," before he actually starts saying something. I like Lindsay more but Potvin is okay. Plus, he's a legend so he's got that going for him.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I think Potvin has gotten better since then because I can't agree entirely with that opinion. I think Potvin starts talking without thinking about what he's going to say first so sometimes he ends up just stating what just happened without providing any sort of analysis. He also messes up the names more often than I think he should. Biekstad comes to mind. Overall, I like his voice and I think his analysis isn't too overbearing to the point that it interrupts the play-by-play, like the Penguins commentators, but he relies too much on certain phrases like "Oh I'll tell you" or "Let me tell you something," before he actually starts saying something. I like Lindsay more but Potvin is okay. Plus, he's a legend so he's got that going for him.

I think we might be the only two who like Potvin lol.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

"Bill Lindsay was a plugger during his playing days, totaling 224 points in 777 games as a checking wing. His days on the penalty kill paid off as he, along with Andy Brickley, is among the very best at explaining special teams and individual breakdowns as they occur. He also understands coaching and systems like few other men on television. It's a treat to listen to him explain the tactics and strategies used by the Panthers and their opponents."
I guess he knows those well, it's just the way he presents the information that makes it annoying and unbearable. Billy makes it sound like he's some trainee that's reading a script, when he should be assuring the viewers that he's knowledgeable through convincing speech.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
A typical Panthers loss after a few good wins. Its so typical us losing to the worst team in the league.. I hope I'm wrong.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
I guess he knows those well, it's just the way he presents the information that makes it annoying and unbearable. Billy makes it sound like he's some trainee that's reading a script, when he should be assuring the viewers that he's knowledgeable through convincing speech.

I never found this to be the case. Actually, I don't even what you guys are talking about when you say he always looks and sounds nervous. I think that's just how he is. Always smiling and cheerful. If you guys would rather have him stern and assertive instead of the way he is now then I would say you guys are nitpicking and asking for too much. We have a pretty good telecast team as it stands with Goldstein being an absolute stud on the play-by-play. Neither Lindsay or Potvin are awful commentators and we should be fortunate enough as it is that we don't have the pens or rags telecast team.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida

The most composure I've seen Billy have is when he went off on those Philly cheese steaks.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I never found this to be the case. Actually, I don't even what you guys are talking about when you say he always looks and sounds nervous. I think that's just how he is. Always smiling and cheerful. If you guys would rather have him stern and assertive instead of the way he is now then I would say you guys are nitpicking and asking for too much. We have a pretty good telecast team as it stands with Goldstein being an absolute stud on the play-by-play. Neither Lindsay or Potvin are awful commentators and we should be fortunate enough as it is that we don't have the pens or rags telecast team.
Well, it could be a speech impediment instead of nervousness, but his body language suggests it's the latter.

You can smile & sound cheerful and still manage to remain calm & collective. Billy stutters so much that I'm surprised he got into the broadcasting business to begin with.

Erick*

As someone who's studying journalism, I can tell you that Billy does not belong on TV or anywhere near a microphone.

He knows the game, but he's tough to listen to because he can't put a sentence together without stuttering.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
The most composure I've seen Billy have is when he went off on those Philly cheese steaks.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's not even a lie. He was way more confident chowing down than interviewing, well, anyone ever.

I see why they want Potvin from a broadcast POV but as a hockey fan I'll take Billy as the colour guy 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Overall I really like Goldie and the broadcast quality in general. And if there's one thing in hockey Vancouver does right it's broadcasters and I usually can't stand other play-by-play (listening to LA broadcasts on the radio almost made me drive into a ditch once it was so bad) but I look forward to the Cat's broadcasts.

Goldfarb being my least favourite personality.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Can they break the curse? 3 in a row? It's time to do it now

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

I can't belieeeeve they went back to Potvin. It still annoys me. It was a reason why he got fired in his first stint.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I don't remember Potvin being this "condescending" last time he was here. He analyses games like the viewers don't know anything about hockey and it's getting really annoying. Billy was at least good for a laugh or two a game Potvin just drives me nuts. I was happy when I first heard Potvin was coming back but now I miss Billy. Goldfarb is a putz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad