Confirmed with Link: Panthers trade Drew Shore to CGY for Corban Knight

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I don't think so. If Shore turns out to be another Trocheck than you'd be dumb not to take Shore over Mac. Trocheck has 13 pts in 27 games while Mac has 6 pts in 39 games.

You cant really compare those two. Mac is playing way more on the denfensive side.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I don't think so. If Shore turns out to be another Trocheck than you'd be dumb not to take Shore over Mac. Trocheck has 13 pts in 27 games while Mac has 6 pts in 39 games.

MacKenzie is the perfect forth liner, and much more valuable in that role than Shore would be. He's the team's best penalty killer, wins faceoffs, brings energy, and is great in the locker room. It'd be a mistake to swap those two.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN

And Mackenzie is a beast on the PK. Points aren't the only thing one can do to help the team. If I'm not mistaken, I think Mac is also our best faceoff guy and is an excellent 4th line center

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

You cant really compare those two. Mac is playing way more on the denfensive side.
+ Trocheck has played in the top6 and that's where he's got most of those points. He's 2+0 in the last 13 games, almost as cold as Pirri.

MacKenzie is purely a 4th line & PK guy, it shows.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015

I get that bottom 6 forwards tend to be more defensive but if you want shut-down center on the fourth line then just put Bolland on the fourth and alternate Trocheck and Shore on the third. Not a big deal at all. What MacKenzie contributes in defense is exactly what Bolland brings to the table. What this team desperately needs is offense and I think losing MacKenzie to bring up Shore would definitely be a net positive if Shore can put up the kinds of numbers I think he can.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
+ Trocheck has played in the top6 and that's where he's got most of those points. He's 2+0 in the last 13 games, almost as cold as Pirri.

MacKenzie is purely a 4th line & PK guy, it shows.

If you look at Trocheck's average total ice time it's only about a minute more than MacKenzie's. If Trocheck or Pirri got cold next year like they have gotten as of late, I would have liked Shore to be able to fill in for them. I mean who knows. Maybe Pirri or Trocheck would have to move to the wing or something. Maybe Pirri is gone next year.

I'm just saying I would rather move the team forward with a player like Shore than a player like MacKenzie.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I get that bottom 6 forwards tend to be more defensive but if you want shut-down center on the fourth line then just put Bolland on the fourth and alternate Trocheck and Shore on the third. Not a big deal at all. What MacKenzie contributes in defense is exactly what Bolland brings to the table. What this team desperately needs is offense and I think losing MacKenzie to bring up Shore would definitely be a net positive if Shore can put up the kinds of numbers I think he can.

i'm fine with having two very defensively capable centers (three if you count barkov who's a beast defesively also). that's what this team is all about. if we're gonna score more it has to come from the wings on the top 6. anything else is just a plus IMO.

on the other hand, bolland can center a line beeing that guy who mostly does the defensive work and have a sniper + playmaker on the line.
jokinen - bolland - pirri would be a sweet third IMO.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
i'm fine with having two very defensively capable centers (three if you count barkov who's a beast defesively also). that's what this team is all about. if we're gonna score more it has to come from the wings on the top 6. anything else is just a plus IMO.

on the other hand, bolland can center a line beeing that guy who mostly does the defensive work and have a sniper + playmaker on the line.
jokinen - bolland - pirri would be a sweet third IMO.

Yeah I mean I dunno what the lines would be next year. I'm not going to speculate about what lines would be good nor am I trying to say who must play on what lines but I would liked to see Shore stay even if it meant MacKenzie, who I happen to like a lot, would have to leave.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
If you look at Trocheck's average total ice time it's only about a minute more than MacKenzie's. If Trocheck or Pirri got cold next year like they have gotten as of late, I would have liked Shore to be able to fill in for them. I mean who knows. Maybe Pirri or Trocheck would have to move to the wing or something. Maybe Pirri is gone next year.

I'm just saying I would rather move the team forward with a player like Shore than a player like MacKenzie.

The team has moved forward this season with Barkov, Bjug, Bolland and Mac compared to last season with Barkov, Bjug, Pirri/Tro, Shore/Mathias.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
The team has moved forward this season with Barkov, Bjug, Bolland and Mac compared to last season with Barkov, Bjug, Pirri/Tro, Shore.

I think you're missing Willie Mitchell, Ekblad, Luongo, and Jokinen. You're trying to paint the wrong picture. I would have liked to see how Shore fit in with these acquisitions.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I get that bottom 6 forwards are more defensive but if you want shut-down center on the fourth line then just put Bolland on the fourth and alternate Trocheck and Shore on the third. Not a big deal at all. What MacKenzie contributes in defense is exactly what Bolland brings to the table. What this team desperately needs is offense and I think losing MacKenzie to bring up Shore would definitely be a net positive if Shore can put up the kinds of numbers I think he can.

Bolland brings offense as well, which is why he's the ideal 3rd line center (albeit overpaid). He's hovering around 0.5ppg lately which is excellent for his role. Shore can't replace MacKenzie's leadership, penalty killing ability, or defensive play. This team is better with Bolland and MacKenzie as the bottom six centers.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
Bolland brings offense as well, which is why he's the ideal 3rd line center (albeit overpaid). He's hovering around 0.5ppg lately which is excellent for his role. Shore can't replace MacKenzie's leadership, penalty killing ability, or defensive play. This team is better with Bolland and MacKenzie as the bottom six centers.

I still think that what we lose from MacKenzie would be offset by what we gain from Shore.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
I think you're missing Willie Mitchell, Ekblad, Luongo, and Jokinen. You're trying to paint the wrong picture. I would have liked to see how Shore fit in with these acquisitions.

Luu was on the team last season, ofc Mitchell + Ekblad + JJ helped, but we have a way more solid center line now, Mac is probably one of the most important players on the team if we want to make the playoff. Look at a team like Preds, they have Gaustad as there 4th line center, and he had about the same amount of points as mac last season both a great at face offs. thats the kind of players you want on the 4th line, not someone that make some extra points.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
There is no way you can assume that given the amount of time Shore has spent in the NHL. Sure, he played well for us during his call-ups, but Mac has done a lot more in his time as a Panther.

What kind of player do you expect Shore to be anyway? I can't picture him being more than 2nd line Center anyway. He has the potential to become a solid bottom 6 forward which is exactly what Mac is.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
What kind of player do you expect Shore to be anyway? I can't picture him being more than 2nd line Center anyway. He has the potential to become a solid bottom 6 forward which is exactly what Mac is.

but mack has veteran leadership which is something shore is gonna have to wait for awhile to get.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
Luu was on the team last season, ofc Mitchell + Ekblad + JJ helped, but we have a way more solid center line now, Mac is probably one of the most important players on the team if we want to make the playoff. Look at a team like Preds, they have Gaustad as there 4th line center, and he had about the same amount of points as mac last season both a great at face offs. thats the kind of players you want on the 4th line, not someone that make some extra points.

You know what, I think you're right. I think Tallon expects Knight to turn into the kind of player MacKenzie is when Mac is gone. I'm starting to think that maybe he had this all figured out.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

He has the potential, that word is the key. We know what we are have with Mac already. Listen, I like Shore, and I wanted to go with him as our 3rd line center this year, but the way it has worked out, he just didnt fit here now. I think this trade does have the chance to end up biting us in the butt, but much later on.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
You know what, I think you're right. I think Tallon expects Knight to turn into the kind of player MacKenzie is when Mac is gone. I'm starting to think that maybe he had this all figured out.

Knight has played some wing as well, which Shore is not comfortable doing. I think that played a part in the deal as well. I wish we would have just held on to Shore until the summer, and maybe used him as part of a bigger trade.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden

Shore is the perfect 3rd line center for me, but we got bolland for another 4,5 year there so yeah, the only bad thing about this trade is that Shore got a higher value then knight so we should have got a pick (4th or 5th) or something aswell.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
We just called him up today.

Any scouting reports? I've tried finding info about this kid. The San Antonio Rampage commentator was on the radio to talk about Shore on Monday and he was like... "he's really good. he's a player" and then spent the rest of the time talking about how great of a person he was. :laugh:

But how? How does he play? What are his strengths? Any input appreciated.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
We just called him up today.

Any scouting reports? I've tried finding info about this kid. The San Antonio Rampage commentator was on the radio to talk about Shore on Monday and he was like... "he's really good. he's a player" and then spent the rest of the time talking about how great of a person he was. :laugh:

But how? How does he play? What are his strengths? Any input appreciated.

Pretty decent two-way player, responsible, more of a playmaker than a scorer. He wasn't likely to be more than the 3rd line center with Florida, but he was perfectly suited for that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad