GDT: Panthers @ Stars 07:30 CST

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
And we didn't trade our UFA's because....

Seriously. Like 8 points back now with like 15 games left, and the Preds are hot. The only possible reason for not trading them that I can think of is Nill wants to bring all of them back.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Seriously. 7 points back now with like 15 games left, and the Preds are hot. The only possible reason for not trading them that I can think of is Nill wants to bring all of them back.

True. I'd love to have Cogliano and Comeau back on 2-3 year deals at 3.5 million myself.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
And we didn't trade our UFA's because....
But as we all predicted, Nill said we are getting new additions soon in the injured players returning, he lies where we are at, it's because of the schedule etc etc.
We blew our chance to get a decent return on some players, to chase a wafer thin chance of a 4th place. We will finish 5th and get a shitty draft pick which Nill will blow anyway.
Sorry I'm a bit peeved tonight.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Adding players in two weeks, who missed the entire season and will take another two weeks to get up to speed isn't going to help much.

Reactions: DieselPig

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Any chance Nill is on the hot seat if we miss playoffs?

I think he’ll get a pass based on the bubble success and the succession of the injuries, COVID, and the winter storm - and to his credit with that many winnable one-goal games, it could be argued the talent was there.

I really like Nill as a human and Bowness too, but it seems like something needs to change a bit in the culture of this team and it may be easier to start at the top than bust the roster. Even if he wanted a change though, I’m not sure Gaglardi wants to pay these guys to not work. Most likely scenario in my eyes is one more year to see what happens.

It will be interesting to see the price Nill has to pay to get away from the three-headed goalie monster though. I could see the extra term on Khudobin being a considerable mistake, especially with a flat cap ahead.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
While I can't know, and coaches and GM's have been released for a bad season largely caused by injuries, our biggest problem is offensive production. IF Nill is let go, its because the guys he signed/drafted didn't live up to their goal scoring contracts. Take a look at our relative production to expectations this year, in above, at, or below expectations, plus absent full or partial where applicable, for the guys paid to score, i.e., our top six forwards and top 3 offensive D.

Top 6 forwards

Hintz - Partial Absent, Above
Robertson - Above

Pavelski - At

Benn - Below (1 goal per 4.6 games, career 1 per 2.76 games)
Gurianov - Below (last year anyway at 1 per 4.7 career, high of 1 per 3.2 last year, 1 per 6.8 now)

Seguin - Absent
Radulov - Mostly Absent, but at expectations (1 goal every 2.75 games vs 1 per 3.2 games career)

For fun, other Top 9 forwards expected to score a bit.

Faksa - Below (career is about a goal every 5-6 games, this year, 1 goal every 8 games)
Dickinson - At (career, 1 goal every 9 games, this year, 1 goal every 7.4)
Kivi - Absent

And for D.....

Miro - Below
Klingberg- At
Oleksiak - Above

So, of the top half of our roster, who we hope will score, we have:

- 2.5 equivalent absent (Seguin, Rads and half of Hintz),
- 2 forwards above expectations or career averages
- 1 at expectations (since coming to Stars, slightly low for career - 1 per 2.76 this year, 1 per 2.56 career)
- 2 below expectations

The bottom half forwards about average in scoring.

D

1 above, 1 at, 1 below expectations, about average in scoring.

Not entirely sure what to make of this, other than what we already know. We are actually a bit better statistically this year. We get 2.67 GF. Last year we were 2.58 GF per game. We are now 2.46 GA per game, vs. 2.52 GA per game last year, but not much margin for error in either year.

Honestly, is the record a bit of "differences are very slight, i.e., even though we are actually statistically a bit better, but may have had a run of bad luck?

Every mistake they make, someone here will post "this team is total garbage" but in reality, they are a .500 NHL team (which is below average) and it appears this just isn't going to be our year. We just end up on the wrong side of that thin line too often, but probably about as often as we should expect.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Because a handful of extra 6th round picks isn’t helping anything.
Well we have been lucky with 5th round picks in the past, even if they were 6th round picks something is better than nothing. We have been doomed for over a month so not moving these UFA's and losing them for literally nothing is bad management. It reminds me of Brad Richards all over again. In what world is Cogs, Kero, Dowling and Psysk going to help us out even if we were actively competing for a playoff spot?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well we have been lucky with 5th round picks in the past, even if they were 6th round picks something is better than nothing. We have been doomed for over a month so not moving these UFA's and losing them for literally nothing is bad management. It reminds me of Brad Richards all over again. In what world is Cogs, Kero, Dowling and Psysk going to help us out even if we were actively competing for a playoff spot?

Brad Richards had a NMC . There was nothing to be done. He only wanted to go to Rangers and didn't want his new team to trade for him and lose assets.

Outside of Cogs , who has a 6 team NTC , none of those guys would've returned more than conditional late round picks at best.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Brad Richards had a NMC . There was nothing to be done. He only wanted to go to Rangers and didn't want his new team to trade for him and lose assets.

Outside of Cogs , who has a 15 team NTC , none of those guys would've returned more than conditional late round picks at best.
A late conditional is fine especially when there was/is no good indicator this team was going to do anything even if they got into the playoffs which now seems like a stretch. Dowling, Cogs and Fedun could of easily brought back a pick of any kind. One of the 15 teams on his list im sure would of taken a seasoned veteran with playoff experience. Cogs is not a player a team is going to call about, it has to be initiated by Nill.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
A late conditional is fine especially when there was/is no good indicator this team was going to do anything even if they got into the playoffs which now seems like a stretch. Dowling, Cogs and Fedun could of easily brought back a pick of any kind. One of the 15 teams on his list im sure would of taken a seasoned veteran with playoff experience. Cogs is not a player a team is going to call about, it has to be initiated by Nill.

Andrew Cogliano thanks to his reputation was probably the teams second best trade chip despite his overpaid contract. Dowling , Kero and Fedun are AHL players. I doubt you get anything back for those . Maybe other minor league players.

Fedun hasn't dressed in an NHL game this year why would a team trade for him ?

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Andrew Cogliano thanks to his reputation was probably the teams second best trade chip despite his overpaid contract. Dowling , Kero and Fedun are AHL players. I doubt you get anything back for those . Maybe other minor league players.

Fedun hasn't dressed in an NHL game this year why would a team trade for him ?
Fine take Fedun out of the mix but the others could of at the very least returned something of value.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
They probably could have made a trade, but GM's have taken to reading fan boards before making a trade, and when they found out that Cogs, Comeau, Fedun, Hanley, etc. were just total trash according to our expertise, they decided against their own judgement, and skipped the trades with us.....

Seriously, cap issues, etc., made trading even for the remains of a $3Mil salary (in Cogs and Comeau cases) for a depth forward even more nonsensical than most years.

Nill, like about half of us here, made the decision that 6th and 7th round picks weren't worth the look of giving up when a chance to make the PO still existed.

Reactions: sportswastaken

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If the team would've been willing to retain 50% the team could've gotten a 2022 6th to 7th rounder for our depth forwards. Thats just meh . Oleksiak was the only guy with any value . How much was on the table ? Who knows but doesn't sound like it was a 1st or anything close to that.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As to Jamie, no it didn't sound like a first. A few teams got firsts and seconds and Nill probably held those trades out as examples of value, but other GM's held out the low picks and salary retention, etc. as this year's market value. Neither side budged, and no deal was struck. At least, that is the most likely scenario. As mentioned in another post, had the Stars not won those two games, the tank decision would have been cleared, and I bet Nill would have been happy with a second, maybe a third, but nothing lower.

Or, the fourth that Jamie had been traded for twice already, although I would argue he has raised his value now, and a normal TDL year would have raised it further.

Water, meet bottom of bridge.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We more or less did the same as the Hawks. The only guy the Hawks sold off was Janmark they didn't want to keep around anyway. Everybody who had value i think the Stars still realistically could bring back for next year. Pysyk and Fedun are the only guys who are UFA who aren't coming back 100% and what was even their value ? Was it more or less than Gubransson who returned what a 2022 7th ?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, I think Nill is in the "we are in the window, tinker around the edges" mode.

Pysyk and Fedun are out, everyone else is planned on being back. One exception would be one of our goalies not named Otter. He can't go back to AHL (or shouldn't) and we can't keep three goalies. And, one expansion draft forward or D. (Maybe a G in Dobby)

As much as one poster here is against Cogs coming back, Nill, Bones, and I think a good portion of the NHL regards the FCC line as a solid third line, among the top third (at most) in the league. So I can see Nill offering Cogs one year at no raise, maybe a pay cut. He is usually pretty tough on those without a lot of leverage. If the price isn't right, and JD isn't the expansion loss, he should be able to shuttle in there.

Nill still needs to come up with one more scoring forward, although Guri (if he recovers his last year form) Hintz and now JRob coming up in the last two years has been a pretty significant upgrade. Wonder if any of Delly, Riley D, or other AHL forwards can make that offensive splash next year? Or, if he needs to go mega trade or UFA (and probably can't do latter without doing the former)

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
They probably could have made a trade, but GM's have taken to reading fan boards before making a trade, and when they found out that Cogs, Comeau, Fedun, Hanley, etc. were just total trash according to our expertise, they decided against their own judgement, and skipped the trades with us.....

Seriously, cap issues, etc., made trading even for the remains of a $3Mil salary (in Cogs and Comeau cases) for a depth forward even more nonsensical than most years.

Nill, like about half of us here, made the decision that 6th and 7th round picks weren't worth the look of giving up when a chance to make the PO still existed.
Nill probably knew the playoffs were out of reach and probably also knew Radulov was done along with Seguin and Kiviranta maybe not playing at all as well.

There are still games left to be played. If Nill traded away these UFAs for a collection of late round picks, how do the Stars finish the season? He doesn't seem to want to burn any ELCs of any of the kids in the AHL. Even if he knows the season is cooked, he still needs bodies to play the remaining games.

Reactions: sportswastaken

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
We were a better team last year . With seguin , radulov and bishop . no Robertson and a not as good hintz . Next year we will have a healthy radulov and seguin plus sophomore Robertson and hintz 2.0 , there’s no reason to think we have to make major moves to be in contention IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad