Confirmed with Link: Panthers Sign Ryan Whitney

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
at 900K for a year it's a low risk deal. he can add some offense if he can stay healthy but he's like the Scottie Upshall of dmen. Decent bottom pairing guy.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Not terribly excited by this, but it gives some guys that need to grow in the A the time to do so. And keeps a few guys off the roster that should be.

One thing is sure, I trust Tallon and he knows what he's doing. Kuba wasn't a bad pick up based on his prior year, he just didn't pan out.

Heimy

Feb 28, 2002
I was just here
Visit site
I'm not wild about this one. The Whitney I recall was a turnover machine. I'd rather have given Brennan another shot but we'll see.

I hope we still snag somebody off waivers. :dunno:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Whitney is pretty gross, but he's better than Gilroy and the way Robak has been playing this preseason, I'm better than him.

Bottom pairing D who can move the puck, but yes, turnovers are inevitable with his style of play. He's never been very good positionally either. Paired with Weaver on the bottom pair, hopefully.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Not sure about this signing, he puts up points which is what counts most for our scoring woes, but could be another Kuba in the defensive end.....guess it could be worse, we could have signed Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Last edited:

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I have always liked Whitney. Question, up in Edmonton wasn't he counted on to be a top 4 guy? Hope that him being a bottom pairing dman here and the change of scenery will do him some good.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I was going to make a thread here asking what everyone thought of him, now I'm mad I didn't lol. Decent low risk signing that keeps Gilroy off the ice. No complaints here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad