Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign goaltender Ryan Bednard (2015, #206)

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If we're gonna have to agree to disagree on anything here it's gonna be on that 20 count lol

But for now* well leave it at that. We have alllll summer, 6 months to argue all of that, and we will lol Especially when this years grading threads come out!!

I made a list of 10 back in December. And theres been at least another 10 since.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Let's be realistic about this signing. He's a prospect being developed, but he may never reach NHL-caliber, or he may...rule of thumb is the more goalie prospects you have the better your chances of getting a legit NHL netminder.

On that note, I continue lobbying Tallon to sign this guy.
Stefanos Lekkas - Men's Ice Hockey - University of Vermont Athletics

2018-19 saw the Catamounts miss the Hockey East playoffs...but Lekkas started all 34 games for the team, allowing 78 goals on 1118 shots (2.27GAA) and posting a single season team record .930 save %. Only 12-19-3 with 1 SO due to Cats' anemic offense, but he gave them a chance every night. He's committed to returning for his senior year already, but that gives Tallon another year to stop overlooking him ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CHGoalie27

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
..so would the goalies we already have..
Not to get into the "it's the goalies' fault" vs. "it's the defenses' fault" thing, but on this I have to disagree. Reimer has always been inconsistent, ranging from good (not great) to downright awful, and the main reason I was uncertain the Panthers would make the playoffs this season when discussing things last summer. Luongo, meanwhile, has shown consistently the past two seasons that age is taking its toll on him and he can't make it through a full season. Monty needs seasoning and should not be rushed into a starter's job. It's even arguable that he should get another season of conditioning as starter in Springfield. I think what works best for the Panthers is attempting to land Bobrovsky, getting rid of Reimer, and trying to run next season with a Luongo/Bobrovsky tandem with Monty being called up when...uh, I mean if...sure...one of them gets injured.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Let's be realistic about this signing. He's a prospect being developed, but he may never reach NHL-caliber, or he may...rule of thumb is the more goalie prospects you have the better your chances of getting a legit NHL netminder.

On that note, I continue lobbying Tallon to sign this guy.
Stefanos Lekkas - Men's Ice Hockey - University of Vermont Athletics

2018-19 saw the Catamounts miss the Hockey East playoffs...but Lekkas started all 34 games for the team, allowing 78 goals on 1118 shots (2.27GAA) and posting a single season team record .930 save %. Only 12-19-3 with 1 SO due to Cats' anemic offense, but he gave them a chance every night. He's committed to returning for his senior year already, but that gives Tallon another year to stop overlooking him ;)
Is there anymore available on Lekkas than what's on yt?

Bednard is basically a bit better version of Bishop. Much better 5 hole coverage too.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Not to get into the "it's the goalies' fault" vs. "it's the defenses' fault" thing, but on this I have to disagree. Reimer has always been inconsistent, ranging from good (not great) to downright awful, and the main reason I was uncertain the Panthers would make the playoffs this season when discussing things last summer. Luongo, meanwhile, has shown consistently the past two seasons that age is taking its toll on him and he can't make it through a full season. Monty needs seasoning and should not be rushed into a starter's job. It's even arguable that he should get another season of conditioning as starter in Springfield. I think what works best for the Panthers is attempting to land Bobrovsky, getting rid of Reimer, and trying to run next season with a Luongo/Bobrovsky tandem with Monty being called up when...uh, I mean if...sure...one of them gets injured.
Sooo basically, " what 99.999% of every other member of the 'pro-sign-Bob' crowd said" lol

basically basically basically LMAO

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Is there anymore available on Lekkas than what's on yt?

Bednard is basically a bit better version of Bishop. Much better 5 hole coverage too.
Don't know - I've seen him at least 3 times, including two this season (oddly, he's won every game I've attended). He's gotten better each time I see him, is very athletic, quick, good with the glove (had one amazing catch in the game I went to in February), seems good positionally, doesn't get shaken when he lets in a goal...was just looking at the team's individual stats and the top goalscorer this season was Joey Cipollone with 9 in 34 games...yeah, that's right. College hockey and not even a single double-digit goal scorer. This is why Lekkas lost most of the games. But he does everything he possibly can to win the game except score.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Sooo basically, " what 99.999% of every other member of the 'pro-sign-Bob' crowd said" lol

basically basically basically LMAO
except probably more cynical about the situation ;) Bob is the best free agent available (except he's not yet) near as I can tell. Reimer just is not an acceptable option, sorry. He never gets serious about the season before January, which in a worst case scenario is still one month too late. So getting Bob seems to be the best bet...from what I can tell he's only slightly less fragile than Luongo, but maybe the two of them with Monty as a third string can get the Panthers through the season and with enough back end talent to make the playoffs. When they can sign Lekkas whose season will likely be done by early March and use him in the playoffs to replace whichever of the two starters happens to be injured at that point since I'm sure at least one will be :laugh:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
except probably more cynical about the situation ;) Bob is the best free agent available (except he's not yet) near as I can tell. Reimer just is not an acceptable option, sorry. He never gets serious about the season before January, which in a worst case scenario is still one month too late. So getting Bob seems to be the best bet...from what I can tell he's only slightly less fragile than Luongo, but maybe the two of them with Monty as a third string can get the Panthers through the season and with enough back end talent to make the playoffs. When they can sign Lekkas whose season will likely be done by early March and use him in the playoffs to replace whichever of the two starters happens to be injured at that point since I'm sure at least one will be :laugh:

I dont think Bob is "slightly less fragile" than Lou. He is supposedly a fitness freak, and hasnt missed much that many games since joining the Blue Jackets.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@Acadmus you expect us to sign Stefanos Lekkas and he's gonna leap frog Sam(and now Bednard) when his college year is over, and he's gonna be NHL experienced(when Sam isn't for some reason) enough to jump into the NHL playoffs when either Lu or Bob (who we should also sign) take their inevitable trip to the trainers office?

With all due respect my dearest OG mod...

I mean Lekkas looks good from the few moments I've seen, but doesn't give near the impression of the technical miracle that Sam looks to be. Not to say he doesn't stop the puck better than someone who is more technically sound though...I dunno, nothing's impossible...don't think you'd bring him up for nothing...

Last edited:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
If we're gonna have to agree to disagree on anything here it's gonna be on that 20 count lol

But for now* well leave it at that. We have alllll summer, 6 months to argue all of that, and we will lol Especially when this years grading threads come out!!

word

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
@Acadmus you expect us to sign Stefanos Lekkas and he's gonna leap frog Sam(and now Bednard) when his college year is over, and he's gonna be NHL experienced(when Sam isn't for some reason) enough to jump into the NHL playoffs when either Lu or Bob (who we should also sign) take their inevitable trip to the trainers office?

With all due respect my dearest OG mod...

I mean Lekkas looks good from the few moments I've seen, but doesn't give near the impression of the technical miracle that Sam looks to be. Not to say he doesn't stop the puck better than someone who is more technically sound though...I dunno, nothing's impossible...don't think you'd bring him up for nothing...
I'd have thought the laughing emogee at the end of that would've clued people in about how serious I was.

As to pb, dunno, just seemed anytime I was paying attention to Bob it was because he was injured again.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad