Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign goaltender Ryan Bednard (2015, #206)

Pragmatic Panther

Feb 7, 2018
It means: (1) Lu to LTIR beginning of next season, (2) Reimer shot in a rocket to space or Ottawa whichever is cheaper, (3) Bobby Rovsky to the Cats, (4) Monty as second Fiddle, (5) Bednard as Goalie #3, (6) ????? (7) Profit.

Reactions: Vilam and 5 Hole

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It means: (1) Lu to LTIR beginning of next season, (2) Reimer shot in a rocket to space or Ottawa whichever is cheaper, (3) Bobby Rovsky to the Cats, (4) Monty as second Fiddle, (5) Bednard as Goalie #3, (6) ????? (7) Profit.

Pretty much.

Driedger and Bednard in SPR will be a good tandem. If Monty has to slide down to SPR if Lu is back, Bednard would probably be ECHL bound for a year. I just like the idea of finally building up some of our own goalie prospects.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Pretty much.

Driedger and Bednard in SPR will be a good tandem. If Monty has to slide down to SPR if Lu is back, Bednard would probably be ECHL bound for a year. I just like the idea of finally building up some of our own goalie prospects.
He's gonna bend Driedger over his knee and spank the starting spot outta him, you kidding me?

Soon we're gonna have him and Monty in what I expect to be the most awesome fight for a goaltending career we may have ever seen!

It's been a great night!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Hope it means a stopgap in the NHL, with Monty as the backup for 2/3 years and Bednard in the AHL for the same timeframe. Then a Monty/Bednard dou for many years
That's duo*, sir. And also, no Monty as back up. Ever again. I'll go for the no label split sentiment at worst.

All this means, to me, is that I might actually get my wish for Lu and Sam next year as our AHL team, and now our pro team is covered should someone get hurt! I'd keep Bednard as far away as possible until Seattle blows over...but he wouldn't be eligible at that point anyway even with Sam protected right?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Pretty much.

If Lu is back....why would Monty have to slide down? I hope you're not still on with the Bobrovsky thing? Or that we wouldn't buy out Reimer should Lu decide to play (which I hope he does and I hope we would)

and also to you my friend @Pumaconcolorcoryi , what in your right minds makes you think...if you were Sergei Bobrovsky, would you go anywhere near the Florida Panthers? Please be real with yourselves for a minute and remember it's not a slave auction and certain UFAs, like the Vezina winner...2x Vezina winner, have the ability to choose where they want to play. Usually a couple bonafide contenders are be a top tier goalie like him away from a deep run.

Why on earth would Bobrovsky want to come here?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If Lu is back....why would Monty have to slide down? I hope you're not still on with the Bobrovsky thing? Or that we wouldn't buy out Reimer should Lu decide to play (which I hope he does and I hope we would)

and also to you my friend @Pumaconcolorcoryi , what in your right minds makes you think...if you were Sergei Bobrovsky, would you go anywhere near the Florida Panthers? Please be real with yourselves for a minute and remember it's not a slave auction and certain UFAs, like the Vezina winner...2x Vezina winner, have the ability to choose where they want to play. Usually a couple bonafide contenders are be a top tier goalie like him away from a deep run.

Because of who is available that can actually sign him, who is a better fit?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Because of who is available that can actually sign him, who is a better fit?
I reallllly hate to say it...the Islanders easy. EAASSY. Imagine Bobrovsky behind that?? My god!

Otherwise, Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, or staying in Columbus are slightly better choices for each other, esp. for a goalie that cares about numbers and trophies you won't get behind the giveaway masters down in paradise...I originally had SJ up there but they're just as frustrating in the back end as we are, as many offensive masterminded dmen they have..

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

and also to you my friend @Pumaconcolorcoryi ,

We have a team filled with talent and potential. If we pick up a good coach and a solid D man, Bob would look like an all start if the team made a turn around.

That and TAXES / Weather / retirement.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I reallllly hate to say it...the Islanders easy. EAASSY. Imagine Bobrovsky behind that?? My god!

Otherwise, Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, or staying in Columbus are slightly better choices for each other, esp. for a goalie that cares about numbers and trophies you won't get behind the giveaway masters down in paradise...I originally had SJ up there but they're just as frustrating in the back end as we are, as many offensive masterminded dmen they have..
Columbus has several young goalie prospects - personally, I'm a fan of Merzlinkins who's 24, has been fantastic internationally (single-handedly carrying Latvia at WC for multiple years in a row) and is just coming off an excellent season in the NLA. I guess they might want to look into a 1-2 year stopgap but re-signing Bob blocks their goalie prospects... plus it seems the relationship with Bob has kinda soured.

How would Calgary even afford Bob? They have 12 mill cap space but they need to re-sign Tkatchuk who's looking like an upcoming superstar and won't be cheap. Then they'd need to sign a backup and some other pieces... I just don't see it.
They also have Rittich - obviously he's nowhere near Bob but if he does well in the playoffs, then IMO they go for keeping their team together instead of overpaying for Bob in FA.

Edmonton has less than 8 mill of cap space for next year and for better or worse they committed 4.5 mill a year to Koskinen until 2022. They'd need to clear cap space first but they have so many holes, do they really put that much money on Bob? I don't see it.

Carolina is definitely an option though - they have over 26 mill of cap space; they have to re-sigh Aho who won't be cheap and possibly Ferland and Williams but it's doable. So I guess it depends on how much they like Nedeljkovic and how things go in the playoffs...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

He isnt staying in Columbus.

Carolina is the only other option but I'm sure he is aware that the only reason the Panthers arent in is because of goaltending which he himself would address.

Plus the city matters here.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
We have a team filled with talent and potential. If we pick up a good coach and a solid D man, Bob would look like an all start if the team made a turn around.

That and TAXES / Weather / retirement.
..so would the goalies we already have..

Reactions: zeroG

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He isnt staying in Columbus.

Carolina is the only other option but I'm sure he is aware that the only reason the Panthers arent in is because of goaltending which he himself would address.

Plus the city matters here.
He's aware of what now? Matheson isn't a goalie, nor are the other 2 giveaway artists...how does Bobrovsky address that?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He's aware of what now? Matheson isn't a goalie, nor are the other 2 giveaway artists...how does Bobrovsky address that?

I aint touching again. Its game 81 and its tiring.

20 games didnt involve giveaways...just terrible goaltending.

That's that. You dont want him to come. You want Monty to start. Leave it at that.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I aint touching again. Its game 81 and its tiring.

20 games didnt involve giveaways...just terrible goaltending.

That's that. You dont want him to come. You want Monty to start. Leave it at that.
If we're gonna have to agree to disagree on anything here it's gonna be on that 20 count lol

But for now* well leave it at that. We have alllll summer, 6 months to argue all of that, and we will lol Especially when this years grading threads come out!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad