Post-Game Talk: Panthers @ Senators

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Beyond belief that Hoffman got zero PP time last night because of stiffs like Legwand and Chiasson.

I know Wiercioch was in and he plays the left point and they want to trade him. But it makes no sense that our leading scorer - who has a sick pair of hands and a great shot - isn't playing LW on the 1st PP unit. Would it be too much to ask anyone in the media to push this issue a bit instead of giving us the usual drivel?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Beyond belief that Hoffman got zero PP time last night because of stiffs like Legwand and Chiasson.

I know Wiercioch was in and he plays the left point and they want to trade him. But it makes no sense that our leading scorer - who has a sick pair of hands and a great shot - isn't playing LW on the 1st PP unit. Would it be too much to ask anyone in the media to push this issue a bit instead of giving us the usual drivel?

You say this like Hoffman hasn't been historically awful on the PP in the time he's been given so far this year.

Seriously. Hoff is like... wait, let me check.

... ok, just checked. Out of every Sens forward who has even a single PP point this year, Hoffman is the least productive out of all of them. He's done the least with the PP minutes he's been given out of any Senator forward. Well, the least out of anyone with a PP point, at least. Zach Smith has been far worse, but that goes without saying.

I'm just saying.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
The Sens need picks but I don't know if it's that much important than usual, I'd say it's on par with most years: we are a low budget team and that means drafting well is important every year

If I have to pick between winning more games than we lose in the home stretch or lose and improve the first rounder however it's an easy choice

Winning breeds winners: I'll take "meaningless" wins over a few spots in the draft

This.

The only thing actual intentional tanking got anyone was an Oilers type situation.

Play smart. Build smart. Win every game you can.

A top pick in the lottery is just that; a lottery. A random chance it will pan out into a Crosby or what have you. Almost never happens.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
You say this like Hoffman hasn't been historically awful on the PP in the time he's been given so far this year.

Seriously. Hoff is like... wait, let me check.

... ok, just checked. Out of every Sens forward who has even a single PP point this year, Hoffman is the least productive out of all of them. He's done the least with the PP minutes he's been given out of any Senator forward. Well, the least out of anyone with a PP point, at least. Zach Smith has been far worse, but that goes without saying.

I'm just saying.

Which is funny because in the Q he was a dominant pp player and the AHL it was his bread and butter. So far hes been bad in the NHL and thats why he hasnt been used much but his skill set and histroy show he has what it takes to at least be average or ok on the pp

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Only problem with this is, that is all Murray has been doing in his tenure with crappy results. Now the Farm teams cupboard is now empty too. Can't keep doing this and keep having crappy results!

Glad to see your vendetta against Murray has worked its way into a post game thread.

The cupboards are bare because Stone, Hoffman, Condra, Pageau, Cowen, Ceci, Zibanejad, Lehner (plus Greening, Gryba, Weir) have all graduated into the NHL. It's a cycle, and now that many have moved up the ranks in the last couple of years, Bingo needs to be restocked. It's as simple as that.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

I think this is a classic case of "oh hey he's a goal scorer he must be good at the powerplay", which he most certainly isn't.

I don't think Pmac and Cameron are that thick. Neither has played Hoff on the PP much, because every time he is on, he isn't good at it. That may change, of course.

Which is funny because in the Q he was a dominant pp player and the AHL it was his bread and butter. So far hes been bad in the NHL and thats why he hasnt been used much but his skill set and histroy show he has what it takes to at least be average or ok on the pp

I actually heard he wasn't great at the PP in Bingo either. Can't provide a source, unfortunately. Just memory.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This.

The only thing actual intentional tanking got anyone was an Oilers type situation.

Play smart. Build smart. Win every game you can.

A top pick in the lottery is just that; a lottery. A random chance it will pan out into a Crosby or what have you. Almost never happens.

I agree with the underlined, but the bolded doesn't make any sense. You don't get a top pick "in the lottery". The worse you are, the higher your chances at winning, ok fine, but even if you lose, sitting 3rd is much better than 10th.

sorry for the triple post.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Only problem with this is, that is all Murray has been doing in his tenure with crappy results. Now the Farm teams cupboard is now empty too. Can't keep doing this and keep having crappy results!

Not for long and if we wanted to be real about making the farm team awesome.

Next year we could of had.

Prince-Zibanejad-Stone
Puempel-Pageau-Schneider
Lindberg-dzingle-Lazar
Paul-Grant-Robinson

Claessan-Ceci
Englund-Wideman
Harpur-Grant
Wikstrand

Lehner
Hogberg
Dreigder

These are all players who could be in the AHL had we developed them slowly. Didnt include Wier, Gryba or Boro because they would have graduated no matter what by now. Next year we should have quite a few decent prospect coming over to bingo anyways.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think this is a classic case of "oh hey he's a goal scorer he must be good at the powerplay", which he most certainly isn't.

I don't think Pmac and Cameron are that thick. Neither has played Hoff on the PP much, because every time he is on, he isn't good at it. That may change, of course.

I actually heard he wasn't great at the PP in Bingo either. Can't provide a source, unfortunately. Just memory.

I could be wrong but i recall him being good or at least not as pathetic as hes been in limited NHL viewing. He had 12 ppg in the AHL last year. Second to puempel with 15. No other player had double digits. Surprised Petersson only had 2. You'd think his skill set would transfer better with more open ice.

I feel Petersson could of had some more NHL time. To bad things didnt work out for him.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It'll probably be another thing he needs a while to get good at

Thing is I don't think we're in the mood to give him quality PP minutes to help him "get it": the NHL isn't a developmental league so it's produce or get off.

Also: how was Puempel? I missed the game

Last edited:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

He was by far the best in AHL actually. 12g 23a in 51 games. 1st in PP points despite playing 20 games fewer than others.
Da Costa was big part of his success. They were tearing it up together.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

So you mean a lot of our draft picks have panned out to the point they are on the NHL team ? And to you that means Murray has done a poor job ? Very interesting take.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
When he was on the power play he didn't really look like he knew what he was doing. He tends to hold onto the puck for way too long and force shots. Maybe this could be remedied with more practice time.

He kind of strikes me as a 'do it yourself' kind of player.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
When he was on the power play he didn't really look like he knew what he was doing. He tends to hold onto the puck for way too long and force shots. Maybe this could be remedied with more practice time.

Cameron has said numerous times they look good on the pp in practice and have set plays theyve worked on but when it comes to game time they dont do anything they practiced on. IMO inexperience as well as quite a few players not having worked together alot is a problem plus karlsson being pressured really hard.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

This is how Hoffman was in his first couple years in the A too.

There's always an adjustment period with this guy in almost everything.

When he gets things together again, I think PP can he absolutely lethal with him, Karlsson, Ryan and Stone.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is how Hoffman was in his first couple years in the A too.

There's always an adjustment period with this guy in almost everything.

When he gets things together again, I think PP can he absolutely lethal with him, Karlsson, Ryan and Stone.

That's one thing I like about Hoffman though, he isn't afraid to shoot, especially given how lethal his shot is.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Cameron has said numerous times they look good on the pp in practice and have set plays theyve worked on but when it comes to game time they dont do anything they practiced on. IMO inexperience as well as quite a few players not having worked together alot is a problem plus karlsson being pressured really hard.

Maybe it's what RKL had stated. He just needs time to adjust. I'd still put him on the second unit if not the first. Let him get his feet wet.

The EnigmatiC Soul*

Hoffman gets no time on the PP not because he's not useful, but they are sheltering Hoffman so they don't have to pay him as much.

He's so dangerous and gets limited minutes.

The organization values Mark Stone much higher, and you will see this reflected on their next contracts.

It's an asset management situation. I mean noone really believes Chiasson is better on the PP then Hoffman right?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think Chiasson is better - we need semi-skilled guys who will stand infront of the net and clean up. He's one of them.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hoffman gets no time on the PP not because he's not useful, but they are sheltering Hoffman so they don't have to pay him as much.

The organization values Mark Stone much higher, and you will see this reflected on their next contracts.

It's an asset management situation. I mean noone really believes Chiasson is better on the PP then Hoffman right?

Hoffman doesnt get a ton of ice time because its quite clear he'll lose match up against other players imo thers some good players he can play against but he is a guy that could get completely dominated physically and hes plays a risky style. Not sure i'd want hoffman protecting a one goal lead. He's not an all situations players at this point.

For contracts i think hoffman gets more or they get the same. RFAs the age of stone rarely get paid much but RFAs hoffman's age get paid a bit more because you have to buy UFA years.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

I think Chiasson is better on the PP his job is to stand in front and win battles something Hoffman can't do. Hoffman has been used on the point and hasn't been effective. It seems management wants the biggest and strongest forwards up front on the PP - turret of course. Hopefully next season they will have a better idea and more creativity on the PP and find a role for Hoffman on it.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think Chiasson is better on the PP his job is to stand in front and win battles something Hoffman can't do. Hoffman has been used on the point and hasn't been effective. It seems management wants the biggest and strongest forwards up front on the PP - turret of course. Hopefully next season they will have a better idea and more creativity on the PP and find a role for Hoffman on it.

IMO Chiasson is a more effective Neil in front of the net. He provides a bigger screen and has the hands to finish off some scramble/garbage goals. I wish he'd start converting a few more chances. There is no sense in comparing Chia and Hoffman on the PP, they play completely different roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad