Post-Game Talk: Panthers @ Senators

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Your post was going great... but then you said that... Of course we need picks. We need to restock the cupboards. We have zero blue chippers in the pipeline.

And we have a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th this year to restock. Problem solved.

Do we really need another 5th and another 7th this year? inb4 mark stone was a late round draft pick.

Sens have 2 home games against Boston left and 1 home game against Florida.

We also play Philly twice. Who we will need to beat to have a chance.

I'm in the small minority that would rather have an exciting 6 weeks of hockey and finish 9thrather than continual sucking game after game.

We're not getting a top 5 pick. I don't really care if we pick 9th-14th. If you have enough faith in the sens scouts to find late round gems then you shouldn't care where we draft in the 1st round.

BigBush*

Nice to see Lazar score. Also happy to see that aside from Niel, he's leading our forwards in hits per game. Very impressive for a rookie
Maybe sending him to juniors would have been better (who knows?), but I can see why management loves him. Plays a pro style type of game

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You know how Zibanejad might become the sexy top line centre most of us hope he can be?

By being part of a team that wins games; losing games sucks and makes it that much harder to reach full potential

People rave about the "intangibles" on players like Lazar or Toews, well winning has a lot of "intangibles" too

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
You know how Zibanejad might become the sexy top line centre most of us hope he can be?

By being part of a team that wins games; losing games sucks and makes it that much harder to reach full potential

People rave about the "intangibles" on players like Lazar or Toews, well winning has a lot of "intangibles" too

This is another part I didn't address in my post. Finishing the season strong is great from a player moral perspective and for development. I'd rather see our players be able to turn up the intensity and go on a winning streak.

This team isn't really that bad, we just had a rough season. I wonder how differently things might have gone if Methot played the full year?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Well said. A losing culture breeds losers. That's why I think Buffalo and Toronto will ultimately fail. Toronto's players have already quit. You think they're going to flip a switch and suddenly compete again?

As for Buffalo, trading Enroth basically told the team "**** you guys, I don't care about winning at all." Long term, Buffalo is screwed. They have nothing in the pipeline. And signing a FA like Niemi won't change things either.

BigBush*

I ended up having to miss the game tonight. Going by the stats sheet it looks like Turris had a monster game.

Ya, pretty good game.
Goal was a tap in off a nice set up by Stone.
First assist was a nice point shot on the PP tipped by Ryan.
Second assist was just getting Karlsson the puck and watching Karl go to work.

Solid game at both ends though.
Michalek-Turris-Stone has looked great recently.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think we need to worry. All this hard work and continuing to work for wins even with the playoffs unlikely is giving us a boatload of good karma. Either we're going to win the lotto, or we'll pick wherever and somehow walk away with a gem that should've been a top 5 guy. I can feel it.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Ya, pretty good game.
Goal was a tap in off a nice set up by Stone.
First assist was a nice point shot on the PP tipped by Ryan.
Second assist was just getting Karlsson the puck and watching Karl go to work.

Solid game at both ends though.
Michalek-Turris-Stone has looked great recently.

Yeah, that line combo surprises me. When I look at it I wonder where the speed comes in, but they seem to click. They are all crafty.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
A better way to put it would have been to say we don't need more picks, we have enough as is. I'd also argue that Prince and Puempel could be considered blue chip prospects. Both certainly have top 6 potential.

With all due respect, this is the wrong mindset. My hope for this organization is not that they do well, its that they make runs for Stanley Cups. To do this, we need to utilize every asset and try to gain as much talent as humanly possible for the possibilities of trades and extended cup runs. You mentioned that that you consider Prince and Puempel as blue chip prospects, they were the results of selling off assets. Puempel's pick was our 2nd and Chris Campoli's pick. Prince was because we traded Chris Kelly.

Guys who are set to have big years next year in Bingo(Max McCormick and Ryan Dzingel) were the results of getting 6th and 7th round picks from Jarkko Ruutu and Alexi Kovalev.

Mark Stone was a 6th round pick as a result of trading Alex Auld (a back up goaltender ala Andrew Hammond).

Right now our draft board is:

Ottawa's 1st Round Pick (6th-10th overall)
Ottawa's 2nd Round Pick
Dallas 2nd Round Pick (Currently the 40th overall pick) (Last 5 40th overall picks were OTT Andreas Englund, Remi Elle, Dylan Blujus, Alexander Khokhlachev, and Christan Thomas)
Ottawa's 4th Round Pick
Ottawa's 5th Round Pick
Ottawa's 7th Overall Pick

A team as bad as we are, not willing to spend any money and relies on player development almost moreso than any other team in the league, badly needs to improve our draft standings. We cannot have another year of just putting nothing in the system.

Id be estatic if we could even add a 4th (Condra), 5th (Legwand) so we have 8 prospects enter our system. Moving Phillips or Hammond for anything would also be a homerun for this organization.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Well said. A losing culture breeds losers. That's why I think Buffalo and Toronto will ultimately fail. Toronto's players have already quit. You think they're going to flip a switch and suddenly compete again?

As for Buffalo, trading Enroth basically told the team "**** you guys, I don't care about winning at all." Long term, Buffalo is screwed. They have nothing in the pipeline. And signing a FA like Niemi won't change things either.

I agree with the winning culture, but at the same time move assets you do not retain instead of losing them for nothing if you are not making the playoffs. Needs to be a mix

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, that line combo surprises me. When I look at it I wonder where the speed comes in, but they seem to click. They are all crafty.

Our best line the last couple games. Maybe even longer. We have 3 really good lines, and one meh. With the meh line being <rookie> - Legwand - Chiasson.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I ended up having to miss the game tonight. Going by the stats sheet it looks like Turris had a monster game.

Meh he was good. Nothing too special but he was pretty good. Most of his points came off excellent plays by his teammates more than anything but I can't complain.

Pageau had another terrific game on the other hand. Man is he something!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Nice to see Lazar score. Also happy to see that aside from Niel, he's leading our forwards in hits per game. Very impressive for a rookie
Maybe sending him to juniors would have been better (who knows?), but I can see why management loves him. Plays a pro style type of game
I find it a bit worrisome actually, especially given his limited ice time. If he has a lot of hits it means his line doesn't have the puck often enough.

It would be interesting to see where he ranked in hits on the Canadian junior team (couldn't find any hit stats; I guess they don't track that stuff?). I imagine Crouse or Gauthier would rank higher.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm still rooting for the Sens to make the playoffs, just because I think the way they've been playing recently they deserve it. The Sens are clearly better than the Panthers based on what they showed tonight, and they may very well be better than Boston.

But it doesn't mean we shouldn't trade some assets to improve our future. I don't think trading Wiercioch (even though he had a very good game tonight), Legwand or Phillips is going to have much of an effect on our performance the rest of this season. If someone thinks these guys can be valuable for their own playoff runs good for them and good for us.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I agree with the winning culture, but at the same time move assets you do not retain instead of losing them for nothing if you are not making the playoffs. Needs to be a mix
Only problem with this is, that is all Murray has been doing in his tenure with crappy results. Now the Farm teams cupboard is now empty too. Can't keep doing this and keep having crappy results!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
only say the replay one but it looked like a clean hit which was late

wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get suspended

Accroding to a poster on the main board the hit took place 600 miliseconds after Jokiene had passed the puck

Meaning that it's technically not late but borderline (the NHL uses a guide line of 500 miliseconds we are told)

The main agnel I saw sure made it took like it was to the head though but that he didn't target it, he sort of just shoved his shoulder into it thinking it would land on the shoulder or chest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad