Post-Game Talk: Panthers @ Senators

The EnigmatiC Soul*

I think you will all be surprised when Hoffman magically gets more PP ice time after he signs his next contract :)

Chiasson is USELESS on the PP. Great he goes to the net, but he's got hands of stone and is easily pushed around. Not exactly what I call a power forward.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think you will all be surprised when Hoffman magically gets more PP ice time after he signs his next contract :)

Chiasson is USELESS on the PP. Great he goes to the net, but he's got hands of stone and is easily pushed around. Not exactly what I call a power forward.

He has 3 PPG, Legwand has 5 or something?

3 PPGs puts him right there with Zibanejad and Ryan. He gets slightly less PP time than those two.

And yes, I know Zibanejad and Ryan create (and don't just score goals)... the point is Legwand and Chiasson are our two best players at battling in front of the net and scoring those dirty goals every team needs.

If you want an example of throwing just talent on the ice on the PP - look at Montreal or Edmonton. They're below us in conversion.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The problem with Hoff is where do you play him on the PP? He's not going to be in the front of the net, his style doesn't seem to work well on the boards, and he hasn't been productive from the point.

He needs to either improve his board play or work on his one timer. Then he'll become more productive on the PP and get more time.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

3 PPGs puts him right there with Zibanejad and Ryan. He gets slightly less PP time than those two.

And yes, I know Zibanejad and Ryan create (and don't just score goals)... the point is Legwand and Chiasson are our two best players at battling in front of the net and scoring those dirty goals every team needs.

If you want an example of throwing just talent on the ice on the PP - look at Montreal or Edmonton. They're below us in conversion.

Montreal's MO is to just one-time it from the point with the twin cannons of Markov and Subban. Seems to work wonders against us, and in OT situations. Eliminate that, and you've neutralized Montreal's PP.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON

What? The guy scored some nifty goals hanging around the net, and I'm not talking about some tap in or deflection. He just lost confidence for one reason or another.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Hoffman has played poorly on the PP, but I think he's been misused. Typically paired with Karlsson at the point, he seems nervous, defers, and shows very little (Wiercioch, for example, is much more effective at the left point). However, when playing wing at even strength, no one can deny his mobility, puck possession, passing, ability to find open space, and quick release. How can anyone think that wouldn't apply on a powerplay? Or that we have an abundance of players with superior skill in those areas?

I'd stop beating a dead horse if our powerplay was decent, but it sucks! Would it hurt to give the guy 15 games of 2nd unit PP time at fwd to see what he can do? Hard to believe management would limit his PP opportunities to help with contract negotiations, but you never know ...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I would expect Hoffman to get more pp time next year but i dont think thats a great indication that they are underplaying him this season to keep his price low.

The best argument for Hoffman's low ice time is...
-hes been ineffective on the pp. Someone pointed out the worst pp production on the team
-hes not versatile... he basically only plays 5 v 5
-he plays risky. Not sure you want him defending a lead
- hes a rookie
- hes weak and might be a player that suffers against certain match ups

The EnigmatiC Soul*

How does a guy who was so dominant on the PP in Bingo and all his career just suddenly suck now? How is it possible to be better 5 v 5 then on the PP?

Answer, its really not. He's being sheltered. It's obvious. But not because he sucks on the PP.

ElRossoMatt

Feb 13, 2010
Bucharest,Romania

No they're not the best at that. Michalek is no 1 baby :nod:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
How does a guy who was so dominant on the PP in Bingo and all his career just suddenly suck now? How is it possible to be better 5 v 5 then on the PP?

Answer, its really not. He's being sheltered. It's obvious. But not because he sucks on the PP.

Nah, man. The Hoff takes his time figuring things out at each level (or even situation) he moves up to. Have you really actually watched the PP's he's been a part of? For some reason, he reverts back to being jittery, indecisive, and sloppy while handling the puck at the blueline, like he was in his first 3 or so call-ups. It's like he freezes up when he's given so much time with the puck.

He was getting sheltered minutes for the first half of the year so he didn't get hosed by the opposition. That's happening less and less. Eventually the same thing will happen with his PP time.

It's not some conspiracy theory to spend less money. This team wants to win. The coach's job is on the line. It's the coach using the player to his strengths. The PP success will come in time.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Which is funny because in the Q he was a dominant pp player and the AHL it was his bread and butter. So far hes been bad in the NHL and thats why he hasnt been used much but his skill set and histroy show he has what it takes to at least be average or ok on the pp

Yeah, I'm not saying he's a bad PP player in general, but I was just pointing out that he has BEEN bad this year. Like... really bad. His PP PDO is in the 800's, IIRC, and not even in the high 800's. It's like 820, or something ridiculous. On the PP!

Like, so bad that he almost literally cannot get any worse, even if he killed a black cat with a broken mirror while walking under a ladder on Friday the 13th.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yo someone who's disappointed me a lot so far on PP is Wiercioch.

Karlsson is like triple teamed as soon as he gets the puck and Wier almost always has all the time in the world to do something but does nothing.

Quite disappointed, although it could maybe just mean he needs more time and experience but for someone who's supposed to be this good offensively, he isn't capitalizing much.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
The forwards have to run their own PP. The PP is predictable when everything goes back up to the D. We need a forward who can run the PP too. Even one would do.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
The forwards have to run their own PP. The PP is predictable when everything goes back up to the D. We need a forward who can run the PP too. Even one would do.

They should run an overload with Karlsson at the top and Stone as the QB in the corner. then have Ryan, Turris and Hoffman. Ryan and Hoffman in the two "shooter" spots and Turris as the other low guy in the overload. Between Turris and Stone they could have some real play making ability. Stone's vision is very good

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

This. So much this.

I realize Karlsson is the best player on the team by a country mile, but we can't keep moving it to him on the PP over and over and over again. Even when EK isn't the one on the point we constantly throw it back there. Throwing the puck back to the point is a great play when it's made once in awhile, but teams have really been keying in on it.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011

He doesn't get pushed around easily. He's been the hardest player on the team to get off the puck. It seem's every time he goes to the boards with the puck he seems to come out unscathed.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
IMO Chiasson is a more effective Neil in front of the net. He provides a bigger screen and has the hands to finish off some scramble/garbage goals. I wish he'd start converting a few more chances. There is no sense in comparing Chia and Hoffman on the PP, they play completely different roles.

That's exactly my point, people are saying they rather Hoffman instead of Chiasson on the PP I am saying they fill 2 different roles. Hoffman should be on there in a spot to shoot the puck he has a wicked release and with extra room, he should have the opportunity to be out there to just shoot the puck. If the coach is content with the fwds he's using to move the puck around and they want to cycle to the point every time well so be it. if the coach wants to add another weapon for the penalty killers to have to worry about he should add Hoffman to just sit in the slot and shoot.

If they don't want to help inflate his numbers or feel he doesn't warrant a spot out there yet so be it. IMO I think you should leave Ryan - Zib - Hoff out there on the PP and allow them to grow together in all aspect of the game, this line being happy and productive for years to come is what the Senators need to happen to be successful because it's not about this year we need to be thinking about next year.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

This would make sense but i believe he's largely been unsheltered or less sheltered as the season has progressed and his production has stayed the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad