Panthers preventing Barkov's playing for Finland at WC

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
According to the Finnish press, Panthers have vetoed Barkov's trip to the WC tournament.

Link

It was said Sasha himself was willing to go, but Florida management said no.

Too bad, this would have been a great opportunity to play international level hockey. Instead, he needs to wait like 6 months for the next real games.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
According to the Finnish press, Panthers have vetoed Barkov's trip to the WC tournament.

Link

It was said Sasha himself was willing to go, but Florida management said no.

Too bad, this would have been a great opportunity to play international level hockey. Instead, he needs to wait like 6 months for the next real games.

I understand with the injury and such but I don't think that is right for us to decide whether or not he plays for his country. I was looking forward to him playing and hopefully bringing us another gold, but I guess we'll have to wait.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
This is a good call from our crew.. He needs to focus on being 100% and work hard this off season.. no more injuries overseas.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Probably best for his career to keep the risk low right now and just let him physically train this summer. Knee injuries need to heal and twice on the same knee in a short time is not something to test fate with.

Plus he'll get plenty of chances to wear the Finnish jersey in his career.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Playing for one's country is the biggest thing for any athlete.

And he just played for his country in the Olympics. He'll have plenty of opportunities to play in the WC. Both he and the Panthers need to focus on making sure he's ready to perform at his paid job.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
And he just played for his country in the Olympics. He'll have plenty of opportunities to play in the WC. Both he and the Panthers need to focus on making sure he's ready to perform at his paid job.

No kidding.. he has at least 10-15 more years to play for his country.. let's take this summer off and come back strong.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I don't want anyone on the roster playing in the WC's. Everyone go home and train like your job depends on it.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Does anyone actually care about WC? Its all about what country that has the best players in the worst teams. And then 50% is trying to get en excuse to not play.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida

Well he's only 18 still and he has been injured twice in a few months on the same knee. His health and ability to play well next season is more important than playing in the WC this year. I am sure he will have many opportunities to play for finland in the future, but this is not the year

Jacques Trap*

If he's not 100% recovered it's the right choice but if he's healthy the experience would be invaluable.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how would Panthers stop him playing in tournament? If he's cleared to play by doctors?
My opinion is that nobody should play in this Belarus tournament, IIHF still should move tournament to somewhere else.

JOL

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Just out of curiosity, how would Panthers stop him playing in tournament? If he's cleared to play by doctors?
My opinion is that nobody should play in this Belarus tournament, IIHF still should move tournament to somewhere else.

JOL

the panthers own his rights, they usually allow the players because they dont want bad blood

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

He's 18. He will have plenty of opportunities to represent Finland in the future. He needs to make sure his knee is 100% before playing again. playing in the WC before he is ready would have been a foolish decision.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Its going to be some 7 month break from competetive ice hockey for Sasha.. thats why i thought Florida would have let him play in the world championships now his going to wait all the way to autumn to play again.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Its going to be some 7 month break from competetive ice hockey for Sasha.. thats why i thought Florida would have let him play in the world championships now his going to wait all the way to autumn to play again.

let him wait, rehab and get to 100%. his pro career is more important than risking a set back!!! we want the best for barkov. think about him and don't be selfish because you want him to play for your country no matter the circumstances!!

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
let him wait, rehab and get to 100%. his pro career is more important than risking a set back!!! we want the best for barkov. think about him and don't be selfish because you want him to play for your country no matter the circumstances!!

this. if the tournament was in mid july when there are no longer concerns about Barkov's knee I doubt we would be having this conversation. The Panthers are protecting their investment and they have every right to do it

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Guys, he reinjured the same knee in the olympics.

I don't even understand the argument; though i do see theres not a single "panther fan" on the side of him going.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I understand with the injury and such but I don't think that is right for us to decide whether or not he plays for his country. I was looking forward to him playing and hopefully bringing us another gold, but I guess we'll have to wait.

With all due respect, is the country of Finland paying for Barkov to play for the Cats for the next few years?

If he couldn't play for us until this point, the injury is serious enough that he'll need to heal.

7 month break from hockey? I don't know what sets him aside from others, but I'll assume he'll be working out. Hockey is oh most definitely like riding a bike. At least for me, and I'm just a never-was!

A good hockey player, not even great, will not lose the ability, ever. It's like riding a bike, and most often the player will come back more in tune with the mental side of the game since that's probably what's getting the most exercise..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00