Post-Game Talk: Panthers lose again but clinch playoff spot for 5th straight season

Preferred first round opponent?

• Tampa

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Toronto

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Based on your posts tonight it seems like you feel the officials were fine.

I disagree. Especially the Bennett trip which directly led to an Isles goal. You don't feel Bennett was tripped on that play?

Not saying the Panthers deserved a win but 6-1 penalties called is a bit ridiculous.

it wasn't perfect but I think the calls went both ways. the penalty for slashing against Barkov? didn't carefully rewatch but the isles guys, who were reasonable, seemed to feel that was a phantom call. I think the trip was a 50/50 call; he's digging for puck, benny stuck his foot back at the same time. I am not sour about that.

they got the first four power plays because they were dictating play (for the most part). there's a reason we had 12 or whatever shots mid/late 2nd period.

just turned on the canucks/stars and that was a pretty even game. you didn't see either team being stretched apart the way we've been the past few weeks. always 5 players in the picture.

maybe it's a bit of a confidence and rhythm thing that's come up based on a combination of factors - an emotional lull after a strong string of games, injuries, new players.

there were a few stretches of the past couple of games where there was a glimpse of the old style. I bet Maurice is showing the team those rather than harping on the negatives. we know what the team is capable of. they just need to rekindle the chemistry. the effort is there, imo.

Reactions: PSLguy

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
When you see teams like CAR and TOR absolutely cruising through games and easily winning them against teams fighting for their PO lives, you absolutely have to be worried about the way we play right now. We should dominate teams like NYI. Again there was a glimpse of that in the first 10 minutes, like the game before, just to f*ck it up with complete breakdown defensively AGAIN, letting teams hang around in every single game against us and losing in the end (what in God's name where Verhaege and Mikkola doing on the Pulock goal?). This is becoming a pattern, and it is not easy to get rid of that.

Are we getting lucky bounces right now? Zero, nada.
Were the refs bad? Oh my, yes they were, they find new lows every game. But they were bad for both sides.
Not the reasons we lost.

If I could I'd not watch the remaining regular season games. It is hard to just relax and enjoy us clinching and wait for "meaningful" games, especially with the way we are playing now. There is no "ON/OFF" switch.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
It’s honestly hard to say right now. I generally agree there isn’t an on/off switch, so if they go on a few game winning streak to end the season I think it would do well to prime them for round 1.

Reactions: ShootIt

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
It’s honestly hard to say right now. I generally agree there isn’t an on/off switch, so if they go on a few game winning streak to end the season I think it would do well to prime them for round 1.

They need a mix of some good bounces but also to not lose their responsibilities.
One thing if they want to take off a period not forechecking/getting pucks on net but they can't be defensively irresponsible.

Leaving guys alone at the net, or allowing the NYI defender a huge lane to the slot with an uncontested shot etc...

Hopefully, something is getting through to them that if they aren't 100% in the game, it will cost them.

They have been leaving both goalies out to fend against the wolves for over a month now. If it wasn't for Stolarz going Bob-Mode the Sunday Flyers game would of been another 4-5 Goals against game.

Also, Montour getting his shot back would be nice.

But for sure, a winning streak should help morale but it won't happen with the way they are playing now

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
The 2012 team went 2-3-5 to finish the season and should have beaten NJ if they knew how to win in OT. Playoffs are a different animal. Luckily there are some bottom feeders in which we finish the season with. MTL, OTT twice, CBJ, and BUF to help get some confidence back.

I know I'm grasping at straws with 2012 comparison. Heck even the 96 team went 3-7-1 to finish the season. I think they've taken the foot off the gas since it was complete opposite of last year where they had to fight tooth and nail to get in and in all likelihood shouldn't have. (Thanks Chicago)

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Prob montour and verhaeghes worst game in a while. Monty has been killing a lot of offense lately, and defensively isnt great.
Swaggy was trying to do too much and wouldnt take a shot and lost it, then had some really bad passes at the end.

Never seen so many bad passes to the other team before and then again within a few more seconds.

On a bright side tanks lookin good, 4 goals now, and he hits like a truck.

Rather take these losses now than in the playoffs but this is one hell of a slump no matter what other stats anyone throws out there.

Hopin most of this was due to injuries and the lines changing a lot - causing defensive breakdowns - odd passes, and now bein healthy we can get that chemistry again.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I think they will turn it on for the playoffs, but we look similar to the last few games in 2022 when Montreal killed us. Personally, I'm losing interest until the playoffs start. Might still go to the game Saturday, debating it right now.

Reactions: batting1k

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It’s honestly hard to know what’s really going on. This team was guaranteed the win up by 1 going into the third almost during the whole season but the last 10ish games they have been bad. That being said I don’t think this team just forgot how to play hockey. They do not have that same intensity they had during the early and mid season. That to me is why I’m not worrying. They showed last playoffs and during this season that they can play at that uptempo pace and physically destroy other teams.

Having Barkov, Ekblad, and Forsling all out at the same time probably got in their heads a little about not overdoing it before playoffs. Obviously we don’t want this team to lose before playoffs but the perfect time to have this slump is right now. They have 9 games left before the real games and this adversity is good for them. We all saw what that adversity did last year for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gizmo Tkachuk

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Maybe they’re playing 4d chess. Maurice being frustrated with the effort the last little while is just a front. He’s actively advising the team to take the foot off the pedal and conserve their bodies the last 9 games even if it means losses and a crappy on ice display. Give me my tinfoil.

They killed themselves to get into the playoffs last season. Just to get in. It’s a different story this season. Maybe they are waiting to kill themselves when it actually matters for them because the reality is it makes no sense to kill themselves now.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It’s honestly hard to know what’s really going on. This team was guaranteed the win up by 1 going into the third almost during the whole season but the last 10ish games they have been bad. That being said I don’t think this team just forgot how to play hockey. They do not have that same intensity they had during the early and mid season. That to me is why I’m not worrying. They showed last playoffs and during this season that they can play at that uptempo pace and physically destroy other teams.

Having Barkov, Ekblad, and Forsling all out at the same time probably got in their heads a little about not overdoing it before playoffs. Obviously we don’t want this team to lose before playoffs but the perfect time to have this slump is right now. They have 9 games left before the real games and this adversity is good for them. We all saw what that adversity did last year for us.

Maybe they’re playing 4d chess. Maurice being frustrated with the effort the last little while is just a front. He’s actively advising the team to take the foot off the pedal and conserve their bodies the last 9 games even if it means losses and a crappy on ice display. Give me my tinfoil.

They killed themselves to get into the playoffs last season. Just to get in. It’s a different story this season. Maybe they are waiting to kill themselves when it actually matters for them because the reality is it makes no sense to kill themselves now.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I agree with these takes and will add the following:
1) I’d rather see a slump now than 10 games from now
2) I’ll single out Barkov, he now pretty much knows what it takes to get to the cup, and therefore doesn’t have a fear of the unknown and therefore I believe won’t be tentative like he was at times even last playoffs
3) Intensity is a mental thing, they’re taking a mental break now to get ready for what’s hopefully about two months of intense mental focus
4) I’m sure they know that the lack of forecheck intensity is exposing their D weaknesses, so they’ll fix it - mental again
5) Goalies are playing well, which is your main backbone, at least don’t need to worry about that
6) For Mo’s chess - yeah maybe a bit of lulling the opposition to think the games will be easier than they are against the Panthers
7) They obviously aren’t upset about not being in first place, which tells me they don’t care who they face in which round

Reactions: Egblad

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't mind a slump before the playoffs if they were to turn it around at the right time. But it's more that they are just not thinking the game the right way. That type of slump I would want to happen earlier in the season. It's like they just mentally checked out, once they got loaded up at the deadline. Mostly I think this is on the defensemen.

All of the defensemen have lost the touch of the timely pinch. They just skate way up ice like they are forechecking. They just totally abandon their defensive position. And their D zone coverage is regressing, their whole strategy is just to wildly skating around and think that's some sort of extreme pressure. They've been abandoning the front of the net, and the scary part is, other teams haven't really caught on to that yet.

It's like the defensemen all went solo and just abandoned the team concept. They don't seem to trust their teammates anymore all of a sudden.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
I don't mind a slump before the playoffs if they were to turn it around at the right time. But it's more that they are just not thinking the game the right way. That type of slump I would want to happen earlier in the season. It's like they just mentally checked out, once they got loaded up at the deadline. Mostly I think this is on the defensemen.

All of the defensemen have lost the touch of the timely pinch. They just skate way up ice like they are forechecking. They just totally abandon their defensive position. And their D zone coverage is regressing, their whole strategy is just to wildly skating around and think that's some sort of extreme pressure. They've been abandoning the front of the net, and the scary part is, other teams haven't really caught on to that yet.

It's like the defensemen all went solo and just abandoned the team concept. They don't seem to trust their teammates anymore all of a sudden.
yeah, they pinch when they shouldnt and then on the flipside dont when they should.
Seeing a lot of times we lose ozone possession cause they retreat back way too early and dont go after a lose puck near the blue

Last edited:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I agree with these takes and will add the following:
1) I’d rather see a slump now than 10 games from now
2) I’ll single out Barkov, he now pretty much knows what it takes to get to the cup, and therefore doesn’t have a fear of the unknown and therefore I believe won’t be tentative like he was at times even last playoffs
3) Intensity is a mental thing, they’re taking a mental break now to get ready for what’s hopefully about two months of intense mental focus
4) I’m sure they know that the lack of forecheck intensity is exposing their D weaknesses, so they’ll fix it - mental again
5) Goalies are playing well, which is your main backbone, at least don’t need to worry about that
6) For Mo’s chess - yeah maybe a bit of lulling the opposition to think the games will be easier than they are against the Panthers
7) They obviously aren’t upset about not being in first place, which tells me they don’t care who they face in which round

that's not mental, imo.

the OZ forecheck is the culmination of everything that happens before - transition with speed and numbers. if you don't have that, it's impossible to forecheck aggressively. what we've seen is weak, sparse forechecking that's easily beaten. that's why we're not generating shots. xG last night 5v5 was 1.5!

I would be upset right now. not panicked, but feeling some urgency. we need to be in rhythm before game 1 of the playoffs.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
When Maurice was asked about clinching the playoffs last night, his response was

"Tomorrow will be a light day of practice. I expect guys to take a day to gather themselves, lick the middle of sprinkled donuts, squeeze the cream onto their faces, and get themselves ready for the Red Wings."

Very good.

• Haha
Reactions: batting1k

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
When Maurice was asked about clinching the playoffs last night, his response was

"Tomorrow will be a light day of practice. I expect guys to take a day to gather themselves, lick the middle of sprinkled donuts, squeeze the cream onto their faces, and get themselves ready for the Red Wings."

Very good.

Ekblad listening to this like

Attachments

• gettyimages-1386121380-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-1386121380-612x612.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad