Rumor: Panthers interested in Russell?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not really. Only Yandle, Matheson, Kindl and McCoshen as LHD's

ya honestly Im not real high on their LHD's... Id much rather see them get someone else for cheaper and 1 year... an older guy maybe.. I don't know who though haha... so basically im just talking out my a#@

go acquire a guy like Michael Del Zotto... signed for just 1 more year and hes a UFA after next year.. Philly has some unreal young LH dmen coming in so maybe Philly could be talked into it... who knows

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
That would pretty much kill the whole 'Florida is going all in on analytics' story.

Kris Russell is a possession black hole.

I guess if you could get him as a 5/6 at under 2 you could take your chances but...

Somebody sign this guy already, almost middle of July and he's still avail. :amazed:

He got too choosy on July 1st and now those offers are long gone.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Somebody sign this guy already, almost middle of July and he's still avail. :amazed:

He got too choosy on July 1st and now those offers are long gone.

hes doing what Franson did and its biting himself in the butt too it seems

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Not really. Only Yandle, Matheson, Kindl and McCoshen as LHD's

I'd rather Kampfer play on the left side than sign Russell. He's played there in the past and, honestly, doesn't look out of place.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Not 100% sure what you think this is but the way you worded it sounds like you think that allows them to go over the cap by that much.

That bonus overage is a carried over penalty from last year where you went over the cap due to performance bonuses(probably from Ekblad). Essentially dead cap space that's already used in the calculation of the 3+ million in cap space you have.

Nope I did not understand that. Bonus overage sounds like the opposite, as I've heard of cap credits before. Thanks.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'm pretty sure Russell is heading towards a one year deal at this point. Waiting like this seldom benefits a player in Russell's shoes.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Wouldnt FLA need to protect Demers, Yandle by default of NMC?
While protecting Ekblad, Pysyk, Petrovic? I think Matheson is exempt..

Doesn't make sense for FLA

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I doubt it's anything more than "if he takes a cheap deal then why not" kind of interest.

Many teams probably telling him the same thing. Russell is still a good defenseman to have if he doesn't cost you too much. Injuries are bound to happen and the guy can play decent minutes.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The Panthers already spend a lot of $$$ in free agency, and also re-signing a few of their own players.

Cap space for Florida is currently is $4,329,167, the panthers may want to re-sign RFA's Huberdeau, Petrovic, and Pysyk before the end of the 2016-17 season, they have 11 players under contract with 3 or more years left on those deals.

With all the long term contracts the panthers have it wouldn't be smart to sign Russell to a 4.5 or 5 mil contract when they have less then 4.4mil left for the this upcoming season.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
The Panthers already spend a lot of $$$ in free agency, and also re-signing a few of their own players.

Cap space for Florida is currently is $4,329,167, the panthers may want to re-sign RFA's Huberdeau, Petrovic, and Pysyk before the end of the 2016-17 season, they have 11 players under contract with 3 or more years left on those deals.

With all the long term contracts the panthers have it wouldn't be smart to sign Russell to a 4.5 or 5 mil contract when they have less then 4.4mil left for the this upcoming season.

They can place Bolland, whose career is over, on ltir so they actually have a max of 10 million

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
I mean, I can see how he might fit:

Yandle-Ekblad
Russell-Demers
Matheson-Petrovic/Pysyk
Kindl

+ McCoshen, Downing and Kampfer

However, that's mighty expensive and one of Pysyk or Petrovic would have to go for straight futures.
They can easily just waive & demote Kindl. He passed thru waivers last yr and likely he would again at his cap hit. I think they would get a little cap relief that way too.

Matheson is waiver-exempt so they could demote him. It's not like he's a proven NHL d-man yet that it's unheard of to send him back to the minors for another yr (or until injuries inevitably hit).

Gotta assume too that they only offer a 1yr deal with all those new contracts starting next season.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Wouldnt FLA need to protect Demers, Yandle by default of NMC?
While protecting Ekblad, Pysyk, Petrovic? I think Matheson is exempt..

Doesn't make sense for FLA

Florida is going to have one interesting season. Bjugstad might become available because they have Barkov and Trochek 1-2 respectively both great young players. They have McCann who is ready to be a full time 3C and looks promising. With the expansion draft looming and having to protect to many good defenseman like Ekblad,Yandle, Demers,Petrovic the only option they have is to protect

Trochek
Barkov
Huberdeau
Smith

Ekblad
Petrovic/Pysyk
Yandle
Demers

They will have to go 8 + 1. Unless they make Petrovic and Pysyk available since they have some promising d prospects. Then they would protect Bjugstad as well and 2 other role players while only being able to protect Demers, Yandle , Ekblad on D. So they would be losing Petrovic or Pysyk for free so they would move them for prospects/picks.

Either one I would hope Dean is working a deal, we could use both Bjugstad or Petrovic

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Florida is going to have one interesting season. Bjugstad might become available because they have Barkov and Trochek 1-2 respectively both great young players. They have McCann who is ready to be a full time 3C and looks promising. With the expansion draft looming and having to protect to many good defenseman like Ekblad,Yandle, Demers,Petrovic the only option they have is to protect

Trochek
Barkov
Huberdeau
Smith

Ekblad
Petrovic/Pysyk
Yandle
Demers

They will have to go 8 + 1. Unless they make Petrovic and Pysyk available since they have some promising d prospects. Then they would protect Bjugstad as well and 2 other role players while only being able to protect Demers, Yandle , Ekblad on D. So they would be losing Petrovic or Pysyk for free so they would move them for prospects/picks.

Either one I would hope Dean is working a deal, we could use both Bjugstad or Petrovic

Here is who they will protect:

Barkov
Huberdeau
Trocheck
Smith
Bjugstad

Ekblad
Yandle
Demers

Reimer

Leaves two forward spots open if they acquire one in a trade or they can protect two of Jokinen, Mackenzie, Sceviour, or Marchessault

Everything is fine

Apr 3, 2016

Trochek
Barkov
Huberdeau
Smith

Ekblad
Petrovic/Pysyk
Yandle
Demers

One of Pysyk or Petrovic will be available, and losing one of them won't really hurt.
Pysyk, Petrovic, Hultstrom, 3 RD options for 3rd pairing.

There's no need to trade Bjugstag, no need to create a hole after just addressing it and for what would he be moved?
Bjugstad can be moved for right side if McCann starts playing C or McCann can play on the wing and allow to move Jokinen who is starting to be at the end of his career.

Huby-Sasha
McCann-Trocheck
Crouse-Bjugstad
3 scoring lines, 3 C's on cheap longterm contracts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad