Rumor: Panthers interested in Russell?

Strachan23

Feb 6, 2013
Miami
@hfialkov
Panthers are showing interest in FA D Kris Russell acc to source #FlaPanthers

Harvey has been right about these things before, but it is still Harvey afterall.

Just don't know who would be out if this happened, either Matheson or Petrovic. With how Matheson played toward the end of the season and in the playoffs it's hard to imagine him in the AHL again this year. Same goes with Petrovic, especially after management claimed he's part of the teams future and they want him around.

Also wondering how FL would fit Russell under the cap, if he does want the money he has been claimed of asking for..

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I mean, I can see how he might fit:

Yandle-Ekblad
Russell-Demers
Matheson-Petrovic/Pysyk
Kindl

+ McCoshen, Downing and Kampfer

However, that's mighty expensive and one of Pysyk or Petrovic would have to go for straight futures.

Last edited:

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Seems very unlikely, and I've seen other posters claim this rumor was debunked before.

Plus the Panthers only have $3,716,668 in cap space, according to general fanager (http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/florida-panthers) so I wouldn't put much stock into it, as they still have to re-sign Logan Shaw and Jonathan Racine.

Although, general fanager also states the Panthers have a bonus overage of $1,420,000 I still can't see them signing this guy. Pretty sure the Cats are set at D right now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Unless they are getting him on a sweetheart deal to be a 6/7 guy, I don't like the fit personally. He's a good shot blocker, but when he is on the ice, that particular skill is needed more than when he is not. That's telling in itself.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
ahhhh why not??haha... they seem to be on a roll this offseason so may as well keep it up haha... im assuming they aren't quite sold on Matheson being a top 4 guy YET if they do this

im not a fan of Russell and ive heard rumors what hes demanding, but maybe he has lowered his demands significantly?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
"Showing interest".

Why not? It's possible they think Russell isn't getting the offers he wants. Offer him less, with the enticement of not having it taxed. His advanced stats aren't great, but he's still a good #4 dman who can kill penalties, and he's effective on the powerplay.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
That would pretty much kill the whole 'Florida is going all in on analytics' story.

Kris Russell is a possession black hole.

I guess if you could get him as a 5/6 at under 2 you could take your chances but...

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Panthers need to watch their cap.. they do need to sign Huby next year too and he's going to command big money.

I just dont see the fit. Unless its a 1 year deal for 3.5.. when he's rumored to want 5x5 or something like that

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Russell is the last player the Panthers should sign. He's mediocre, and doesn't bring anything that is missing from their lineup.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Seems very unlikely, and I've seen other posters claim this rumor was debunked before.

Plus the Panthers only have $3,716,668 in cap space, according to general fanager (http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/florida-panthers) so I wouldn't put much stock into it, as they still have to re-sign Logan Shaw and Jonathan Racine.

Although, general fanager also states the Panthers have a bonus overage of $1,420,000 I still can't see them signing this guy. Pretty sure the Cats are set at D right now.

Not 100% sure what you think this is but the way you worded it sounds like you think that allows them to go over the cap by that much.

That bonus overage is a carried over penalty from last year where you went over the cap due to performance bonuses(probably from Ekblad). Essentially dead cap space that's already used in the calculation of the 3+ million in cap space you have.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Weird, They sign Yandle, trade Kuikov for Pysyk, trade Gubrandson and now they want Kris Russell?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad