Speculation: Panthers inquired on Hall

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Am I reading that right? They have 754k in cap space this off-season?
Was unsure if it wasn't adjusted but as you pointed out, LTIR, Hossa's buried money etc.
Arizona and Florida with less than 2 million in cap space combined, what a day to be alive!

I was shocked tbh. Didn't know they have no cap space at all. Still thought most of their players were/are so young

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I was shocked tbh. Didn't know they have no cap space at all. Still thought most of their players were/are so young

They still have some young ELC's coming up in Hayton and Soderstrom to go along with Keller and Chychrun on risk/reward deals.
I respect the push to get some high end talent in Kessel and Hall by their GM.
They have a deep team now and even Yotes fans will tell ya nobody is lighting it up so if they wake up, they could make some noise.

Reactions: Boothinator

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Interested to see if Tallon makes another move in light of the latest Hall update.

He must be looking to upgrade this team somehow, wonder if he still feels like something needs to be changed or if this was too big of a potential upgrade to not at least kick the tires on.

I think he is always looking to upgrade the team. The only issues are price and the cap. Moves probably won't be made until closer to deadline. Obviously the Hall trade timing was different, Devils wanted to move now.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bahl is a pretty good prospect. He's 6'7", great skater and has some offense to his game. Merkley is a former 1st rounder. Pretty chance arizona signs him or wins a playoff round, so they probably get a 1st and 2nd as well. It's a pretty good trade. I wouldnt have been on board with Tippett, Borgstrom/Koly, Hepo, 1st and 2nd for an un-extended haul. That would be the equivalent for us.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Seems like a lot of meh to me. I guess Bahl has bottom pairing upside? Merkley isn't close to PPG in the ahl and turns 23 in the summer. Both Tippett and Borg are better prospects.
Borg isn't close to a PPG (worse than Merkley) in the ahl and turns 23 in the Summer. Career wise in the AHL, Borg has a lower PPG as well. Both guys have had a disappointing development.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think Bahl has better than bottom pairing upside. He's 6'7" and can skate and has skill. It's a pretty good package. Nobody was giving up their top prospect for Hall un-signed.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
^

I don't know, Borg at least has cracked an nhl roster and put up decent points. Not sure why he hasn't clicked this year in the ahl but he was PPG there last year. He's got the size advantage too.

I'm just stat watching but Merkley with his size and production has pretty much 0% chance of becoming a nhl player at this point.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
^

I don't know, Borg at least has cracked an nhl roster and put up decent points. Not sure why he hasn't clicked this year in the ahl but he was PPG there last year. He's got the size advantage too.

I'm just stat watching but Merkley with his size and production has pretty much 0% chance of becoming a nhl player at this point.

Merkleys a very skilled player, he could put it together at any time just like Borg. In any case, they are both middling prospects right now. The real prize here is Bahl. Plus the Devils have a 1st and likely at least a 2nd. They could have done worse. Imo tallon was probably fine giving up the prospects, but not the picks on top of it.

Reactions: klabob

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think people need to realize that also PPG I’m the AHL while a nice thing is hardly a guarantee to be a great player. There are many players that have been below a PPG that go on to be great players. That being said Tippett seems to be tracking very nicely and the concerns about his hockey sense seem to be overvalued. Would I give up Borg for the right package? Yup. Do I think he’s a bust? Not even close. He still needs to fill out.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I wish they would of matched that offer.

The overrating of our prospects is getting old.

Luce is gone, but the level of hits in the draft hasn't improved.
The post draft hype feels as high as ever too.

Fact is, we will never hit on all of our prospects, most will not be very good, so it makes sense to trade some guys from time to time for proven NHL talent.

Reactions: Frisky Dingo

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I wish they would of matched that offer.

The overrating of our prospects is getting old.

Luce is gone, but the level of hits in the draft hasn't improved.

I don't think this team is close enough to give up prospects. Eventually one of those prospects will hit and help in a big way. If the team was at the top of the standings I'd agree going after a guy like Hall.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It has to be the right trade. We would never be able to re-sign Hall, so that's too much for us to give up for a rental at this juncture. We're more than a Hall away from a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: KW

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Some of Friedman's 31 thoughts today: 31 Thoughts: Who's next on the NHL rental market? - Sportsnet.ca

3. Calgary definitely tried something that wasn’t futures-related. But they wanted assurance re-signing Hall was a possibility, and weren’t allowed to explore it. Florida desired similar. Not that we’re ever going to find out, but I heard the Islanders tried more of a “hockey deal,” too.

4. As all of this was flying around last Saturday, there were reports Florida scratched two of their top prospects at AHL Springfield: Henrik Borgstrom and Aleksi Heponiemi. :scared:That caused mass hysteria.:scared: Borgstrom actually was injured. Heponiemi was a healthy scratch, but word is they are not trying to trade him. He’s 20, talented and in his first AHL season. There are speed bumps along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad