Post-Game Talk: Panthers head into the break on a 4 game win streak, beat Isles 3-2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Also, why is Darnell Nurse on there? Everyone knows he sucks and is overpaid. Who's overrating him?

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Lindholm to Vancouver

Tkachuk trade really was the downfall of Calgary sheesh
And VAN making the same mistake like us 2 years ago, except if they manage to sign Lindholm in the offseason. They have to sign Pettersson, Lindholm and basically their whole D corps except for Hughes and Soucy.

Last PO appearance was in the 15-16 season. Zero PO experience and trying to win it all right now. Taking us as a reference, it is the right move at the wrong time. They need to get more PO experience first.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
And VAN making the same mistake like us 2 years ago, except if they manage to sign Lindholm in the offseason. They have to sign Pettersson, Lindholm and basically their whole D corps except for Hughes and Soucy.

Last PO appearance was in the 15-16 season. Zero PO experience and trying to win it all right now. Taking us as a reference, it is the right move at the wrong time. They need to get more PO experience first.
How much playoff experience should be enough? And how to get more playoff experience than by winning rounds?

VIMMM

Dec 2, 2018
Finland

I'm actually glad VAN has been succesfull this year, but my opinion will obviosly change if we meet them in the poffs, and how that ends up. Anyways, I shall fade back in to the shadows ...

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Is it safe to say that Panthers invented 2 ways of exciting winning hockey: current and 2021-2022 season one?

1706858702752.png

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
How much playoff experience should be enough? And how to get more playoff experience than by winning rounds?
I believe I get your point: why should they NOT increase their chances to prolong a PO run as long as possible by upgrading their roster today, to possibly gain more valuable PO experience by winning rounds?

I guess at the start of the season, their goal for this year was to finally actually make the POs again after not being there for 7 seasons. It seems like now that it is going so well in the regular season, expectations are skyrocketing. So they are going for a potential rental and freeing up some more cap space to maybe add more pieces for a long PO run.

Best case: they go very deep (or even win the SC) and resign Lindholm
Worst case: Drop out in the first round, not manage to sign Lindholm (while having lost Kuzmenko, depth players and a 1st round pick)

Maybe I am biased because of the Giroux story. But from a management long-run based position, I find this to be a very odd decision.

They could just wait for the off-season to sign Lindholm, without giving up any other assets. If they are as good as they seem right now, they will go deep in the POs anyway.

History has shown us that most teams need several PO appearances to know what it takes and to finally win. No need to rush for VAN

Reactions: KW

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I'm actually glad VAN has been succesfull this year, but my opinion will obviosly change if we meet them in the poffs, and how that ends up. Anyways, I shall fade back in to the shadows ...
I have a soft spot for them too. After all, the reason I am a FLA fan is Pavel Bure who was my favourite player already when he came into the league with VAN.

Stop by more often with some comments!

Reactions: Felidae and VIMMM

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I believe I get your point: why should they NOT increase their chances to prolong a PO run as long as possible by upgrading their roster today, to possibly gain more valuable PO experience by winning rounds?

I guess at the start of the season, their goal for this year was to finally actually make the POs again after not being there for 7 seasons. It seems like now that it is going so well in the regular season, expectations are skyrocketing. So they are going for a potential rental and freeing up some more cap space to maybe add more pieces for a long PO run.

Best case: they go very deep (or even win the SC) and resign Lindholm
Worst case: Drop out in the first round, not manage to sign Lindholm (while having lost Kuzmenko, depth players and a 1st round pick)

Maybe I am biased because of the Giroux story. But from a management long-run based position, I find this to be a very odd decision.

They could just wait for the off-season to sign Lindholm, without giving up any other assets. If they are as good as they seem right now, they will go deep in the POs anyway.

History has shown us that most teams need several PO appearances to know what it takes and to finally win. No need to rush for VAN
From what I understand, losing Kuzmenko is not really seen as a negative for Vancouver because of his cap hit (5.5M for a 27 year old guy on pace for 15 goals, 40 points, who's also been a healthy scratch several times this year). If he rebounds and settles at least somewhere between this year and last year, then it's a fair/good contract, but right now it's not working out particularly well in Vancouver and trading him away gives them a bit of cap space now and later.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I just don’t see the Canucks making a long postseason run. Yes they might be a bit like the Panthers of the Girard trial, but I think they’re more like New Jersey last year.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
From what I understand, losing Kuzmenko is not really seen as a negative for Vancouver because of his cap hit (5.5M for a 27 year old guy on pace for 15 goals, 40 points, who's also been a healthy scratch several times this year). If he rebounds and settles at least somewhere between this year and last year, then it's a fair/good contract, but right now it's not working out particularly well in Vancouver and trading him away gives them a bit of cap space now and later.
The guy still hade 39 goals and 74 points in his first season last year, so the skill is clearly there. But I agree with you. If they are not really happy and don't see him as a real fit - which most likely is the case - it is an understandable move. Seems like not a lot of patience though with him, in only his second season.

And Lindholm will definitely get more than 5.5 M next year whereas Kuzmenko still has his contract running until 2025.

Surely an upgrade plus the cap flexibility NOW. Could turn out to be a very ugly move in the future.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The guy still hade 39 goals and 74 points in his first season last year, so the skill is clearly there. But I agree with you. If they are not really happy and don't see him as a real fit - which most likely is the case - it is an understandable move. Seems like not a lot of patience though with him, in only his second season.

And Lindholm will definitely get more than 5.5 M next year whereas Kuzmenko still has his contract running until 2025.

Surely an upgrade plus the cap flexibility NOW. Could turn out to be a very ugly move in the future.

listening to the latest PDOcast now and it sounds like dumping kuzmenko was part of the plan as he's fallen out of favor.

also interesting is that all but one (not van) of the teams chasing lindholm had no interest in signing him because of his age and what the next contract will look like. this appears to be a rental.

sounds like only a desperate GM is going to pay lindholm this summer.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
listening to the latest PDOcast now and it sounds like dumping kuzmenko was part of the plan as he's fallen out of favor.

also interesting is that all but one (not van) of the teams chasing lindholm had no interest in signing him because of his age and what the next contract will look like. this appears to be a rental.

sounds like only a desperate GM is going to pay lindholm this summer.
I imagine the other teams not planing to sign Lindholm offered much less than VAN because of what you just pointed out - which makes the move by VAN even stranger to me, to give up that much with so much risk after his contract expires.

I would have understood a sign and trade just like we did with MT

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Just watched game 4 of the Bruins series again, and it is so obvious now that the main reason of our good PK today is the subtraction of Marc Staal. He was a great shot blocker but so immensly slow to put pressure on puck carriers in trouble. Great to see that our current group has figured that out and has the sense of timing and the speed to pull it off.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I imagine the other teams not planing to sign Lindholm offered much less than VAN because of what you just pointed out - which makes the move by VAN even stranger to me, to give up that much with so much risk after his contract expires.

I would have understood a sign and trade just like we did with MT

it doesn't sound like a lot of teams value him at what he'll get given his age. on the PDOcast, their rationale for VAN not planning on signing him is that this is a freak 1 year window; they have some expiring contracts and will need to make a lot of moves the next year or two and don't want to be saddled with lindholm's contract. lindholm will make this year's team better and by signing him early, they may be able to hold on to the top spot and earn an easier path. this is throwing the players and fans a bone.

makes sense to me.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
it doesn't sound like a lot of teams value him at what he'll get given his age. on the PDOcast, their rationale for VAN not planning on signing him is that this is a freak 1 year window; they have some expiring contracts and will need to make a lot of moves the next year or two and don't want to be saddled with lindholm's contract. lindholm will make this year's team better and by signing him early, they may be able to hold on to the top spot and earn an easier path. this is throwing the players and fans a bone.

makes sense to me.
This side of the deal does make some sense.

What does not make sense is what they gave up for it.

Reactions: KW and Great8Cam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad