Post-Game Talk: Panthers/Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olax

Jun 15, 2009
Gudbranson played really well. Awesome to see after that bad game against Tampa.

Jagr-Barkov-Huberdeau. Panthers have never had three players of this caliber playing together. I can't remember anything like this on our team. For all of Tallon's faults, trading for Jagr has been a master stroke.

Petrovic was great.

Hayes is not playing well right now. If he is not in front of the opposing net, he is useless. He needs to play enagaged. Playes too soft right now. Maybe he should be swapped with Upshall and sent to the 4th line.

Campbell is a minute eater, but not putting up as much scoring as we need for an offensively starved team.

IMHO, we have Bjugstad we win that game last night. Panthers leaving points on the board because of lack of finish / Carey Price and we were missing our best goal scorer.

I don't think Bolland is a problem. His contract is bad, but he is solid in his role. Boyes,Bolland, Jokinen is not a game breaking line, but is a decent all around line that can be deployed in nearly any situation. They can stabilize play at times.

I'm angry at the refs, but the Panthers have to win to get that respect. Its nothing new to us, been this way for the past 6 or 7 years. Another obstacle to overcome, yet it is possible. The Panthers have to become so good that they are undeniable.

I agree that Petrovic was pretty good all-around but he had two very bad positional mistakes in Montreal's 2nd & 3rd goal. In both goals he was in the wrong place and you can see how he realizes it just a second or two too late. Luckily those kind of mistakes tend to disappear with experience but yesterday they probably cost us the game. (The 2nd goal was perhaps a communicational mistake from the whole PK unit + Mitchell, but I felt Petro was the one player who was "out of position" to begin with.)

-L-

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'm angry at the refs, but the Panthers have to win to get that respect. Its nothing new to us, been this way for the past 6 or 7 years. Another obstacle to overcome, yet it is possible. The Panthers have to become so good that they are undeniable.

Here's my problem with that statement. To get respect from the refs you have to be good. To be considered good you have to make the playoffs. To make the playoffs you got to win these close games.

It's exponentially harder to win close games when you play at a disadvantage so often from the refs.

How many times has an obvious major penalty been uncalled?

How many times has a panthers goalie been run with no call?

How many times over this season has gudbranson taken a cheep shot right in front of the refs and not gotten a call? Elbow last night, slew foot against NYR, spear in groin against Columbus. All three were obvious penalties in front of a ref and none were even called a minor. Panthers lost each one of those games by a goal...

Then you compare it to the major penalties gudbranson has been called for over the years and it just doesn't match up.

The 8th seed may not be important to most teams. But to a struggling franchise it means the world. There may not be a "conspiracy" against the panthers, but there is a clear bias. It isn't a coinicidence the panthers always seem to be leaving games played in Canada scratching their heads after not getting some calls their way

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Gudbranson played really well. Awesome to see after that bad game against Tampa.

Jagr-Barkov-Huberdeau. Panthers have never had three players of this caliber playing together. I can't remember anything like this on our team. For all of Tallon's faults, trading for Jagr has been a master stroke.

Petrovic was great.

Hayes is not playing well right now. If he is not in front of the opposing net, he is useless. He needs to play enagaged. Playes too soft right now. Maybe he should be swapped with Upshall and sent to the 4th line.

Campbell is a minute eater, but not putting up as much scoring as we need for an offensively starved team.

IMHO, we have Bjugstad we win that game last night. Panthers leaving points on the board because of lack of finish / Carey Price and we were missing our best goal scorer.

I don't think Bolland is a problem. His contract is bad, but he is solid in his role. Boyes,Bolland, Jokinen is not a game breaking line, but is a decent all around line that can be deployed in nearly any situation. They can stabilize play at times.

i think bolland is a huge problem! his stupid undisciplined penalty last night led to the tying goal and he missed on 2 glorious scoring chances. is this something new? no he does this consistently!!!! worst league signing this year!!!!

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm still angry about the refs calls and non-calls last night, but overall I have to blame the Panthers undisciplined play for the loss. I don't know how that wasn't interference on Montreal when Hayes was hit, but he didn't watch his cool, which drew into a Habs power play goal. Same went for Bolland taking his physical play to an blatant cross-check which led to another Habs power play goal.

I wasn't so heated about the call itself on Trocheck, but more of the timing. If you don't call a high-stick that should have been a double minor, but then call a penalty the other way in overtime during a crucial game, that's non consistent. Every team gets bad calls against them or not called on the other side, but yeah it seems to happen to the more irrelevant teams more often. It shouldn't and that's why we're all questioning the officiating.

Anyway, overall I thought the team played great which sucks that we only earned a point last night. The Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr line continues to be outstanding and will have to be huge today in Ottawa. The best scenario obviously would be a Panthers regulation win today, regulation Bruins loss, and Panthers win over them in regulation on Tuesday. That would tie us with Boston in points and games played.

I'm sure the team was depleted after the way they lost it last night, so I'm hoping they come out on fire as this game and Tuesday could make or break the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad