Friedman: Panthers Goalie Situation

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
2. I can’t imagine Florida will wait too much longer to wade into the goalie pool, either. And I think they are looking for someone young-ish who might be their future.

Could this be a Sparks/Pickard fit as some possible names? I'd assume they don't want anybody over the age of 25 if they think it's a future goalie, despite Reimer being there for 3 more years.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
So if they do add a goalie that " might be their future", then they will have 3 goalies under contract for next season. I'm not sure how that will work. Luongo might be close to retirement, but I sure haven't heard anything suggesting it will happen as early as this off season. And Reimer, although struggling, isn't buy out worthy just yet. So what gives?

I have speculated about Hutch and Pickard already. But I'm not sure what the overall plan would be if they get a long-term guy in net.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
So if they do add a goalie that " might be their future", then they will have 3 goalies under contract for next season. I'm not sure how that will work. Luongo might be close to retirement, but I sure haven't heard anything suggesting it will happen as early as this off season. And Reimer, although struggling, isn't buy out worthy just yet. So what gives?

I have speculated about Hutch and Pickard already. But I'm not sure what the overall plan would be if they get a long-term guy in net.
Hutch would make sense, but he's a tad old for the "future goalie" label. But could work, just not to what friedman wrote.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
With both Luongo and Reimer set to make ~6.5M combined next season, I can't see Florida adding a third goalie unless he has a very cheap caphit.

Do they just want a short-term band-aid until Luongo is back from injury? Or are they looking for a longer-term solution? If it's longer term, that means waiving Reimer or trying to retain salary in order to move him. Can't really see them keeping 3 guys in the NHL.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hutch would make sense, but he's a tad old for the "future goalie" label. But could work, just not to what friedman wrote.

I actually meant that he is not a future option. I've chatted on HF about Hutch and Pickard, who are more short-term and possibly temporary help.

But what kind of options are there for a long-term solution? Who is out there that is younger, and potentially better than these guys? And how would Florida make room if they found someone?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With both Luongo and Reimer set to make ~6.5M combined next season, I can't see Florida adding a third goalie unless he has a very cheap caphit.

Do they just want a short-term band-aid until Luongo is back from injury? Or are they looking for a longer-term solution? If it's longer term, that means waiving Reimer or trying to retain salary in order to move him. Can't really see them keeping 3 guys in the NHL.

Could buyout Reimer.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I think Friedman meant they are looking to acquire a young goalie not in the NHL yet. Maybe someone a year or two out. I don't see Reimer sticking around if they are able to get that goalie. Either buy him out of put him in the AHL.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I think Friedman meant they are looking to acquire a young goalie not in the NHL yet. Maybe someone a year or two out. I don't see Reimer sticking around if they are able to get that goalie. Either buy him out of put him in the AHL.

If it's someone two years out, then wouldn't that just be someone like their own Montembeault?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If it's someone two years out, then wouldn't that just be someone like their own Montembeault?

Is Montembeault a sure thing? If not, wouldn't it smart to assemble some depth at the position? Luongo will be gone soon and Reimer can't be trusted to be a #1. Seems to me the Panthers need more options at G.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
If the Cats want someone for their future already able to play a few game / backup role they need to look into Charlie Lindgren

He did very well when Price was out this season. Canadiens are loaded between the pipes with Fucale, McNiven, Hawkey and with Price still good for a few years they can afford to lose him if the return is interesting

Myself I'd like to get a decent forward/dman prospect for him, but I'm thinking the organization are still in a win-now mode and might look for a veteran, I'm afraid. Not sure who Florida has to offer?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
What's wrong with Luongo? He's still posting fantastic numbers.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Mrazek at $2 million for a 2018 2nd or 3rd round pick, If need be he doesn't have to be qualified and can walk as a UFA next summer he probably wouldn't command all that much any ways by the way he's playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad