Boston Bruins Panthers game rescheduled for April 8th at 7:30 PM

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Sunday evening. Cam thanked the Celtics and Hawks (Atlanta, not Chicago) for rescheduling their game to the afternoon. NOW I see why it took so long - 6 different groups had to get on board - the NHL, Bruins, Panthers, Celtics, Hawks, and the NBA.

Sort of makes sense. Avoids the 4-in-5 for Florida. The evening game is necessary to avoid the Panthers going from a 7 PM game in Buffalo to a matinee, which I think is the one thing that's literally forbidden in the CBA. (There's a refractory period of...I think 20 or 21 hours...between when NHL teams can play back to back. So 7 followed by 4 is okay, but not 7 followed by 1.)

But it does hurt the Bruins. A crowded March/April just got way worse, and assuming we make the playoffs, that's one less day to recover. And, surprise, if you had a ticket to the game, you now have a ticket to the regular season closer, I guess. Maybe they'll do team awards on Saturday, and Shirts off our Backs on Sunday? Seems kinda crappy to take "season closer" status away from anyone who bought OTT tickets early...but overall, a reasonable solution.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I think you should see top players scratched and Providence call ups for that game, although Providence should be in the AHL playoffs so not sure how that would affect call ups.

Reactions: frickinbobby

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I just heard 7:30 pm on 98.5. The Celtics agreed to change their game to a matinee.
That is a crappy time for the folks who have to work Monday morning.

They should have had the B's play early.

The ice will suck worse than usual with the Celtics playing early.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
That is a crappy time for the folks who have to work Monday morning.

They should have had the B's play early.

The ice will suck worse than usual with the Celtics playing early.

Panthers have a 7:00pm game in Buffalo night before so game could not be an early afternoon game on Sunday.

Same with Bruins even though both games are at home they are playing on Saturday so an afternoon game following a night game would not work for them either. A 7:00 game would have worked not sure why it is 7:30 instead of the usual 7:00 as Celtics are at 1:00 and Bull gang could have had things ready for a 7:00 start.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Great, now this is the final game of the regular season for the Bruins.

A brutal schedule to close out the year just got worse. Bruins will now play 24 games in 43 days starting on Saturday Feb. 24.

true.
but luckily this year we've built alot of breathing room.
A collapse this year would be worse than 2015 I think.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Definitely the dollars. But I think the NHL requires all 82 games need to be played.

If the game that was cancelled was supposed to be played really late, like on April 5, AND the playoff standings for both teams were already mathematically determined...I think they might cancel it. But now that it's scheduled, it's just another ordinary game that will be played, whether it's meaningful hockey or not. They need to sell those wonderful Delaware North hot dogs.

They didn't cancel either of the games that were postponed due to the Marathon bombing and subsequent manhunt, but those games could have boosted the Bruins over the Habs in the standings. On the other hand, MLB did "provisionally cancel" a couple of games in 2016, but that's because their schedule is very tight. It did wind up not being played, because it wouldn't change the playoff "in-or-out" status or the wildcard status of any team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad