Boston Bruins Panthers game rescheduled for April 8th at 7:30 PM

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Panthers are in Boston as are the officials which usually means the game will be played no matter what.

However the forecast for Thursday afternoon looks ominous and the T is sending signals it might shout down early - that call belongs to Governor Baker.

So.......

The National Weather Service said the formidable weather system arriving Thursday will pack the bulk of its precipitation into a relatively narrow time window - approximately from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. - with snowfall rates of up to 3 inches per hour. Jackpot communities will get 12 inches of snow or more before the system fades.

The snow is expected to start falling around 7 a.m. in Greater Boston and continue late into the evening, ending around 10 p.m., according to the weather service.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Damn well better be postponed if it's as bad as they say (and I have no reason to doubt). I hate the idea of 15,565+ people trying to get to the Garden because of non-refundable tickets. There was a Dallas game 2 or so years ago in February that was played, and that decision seemed sketchy at best. Admittedly, I'm also about 99% sure that there were no alternate dates available to reschedule the game without drastically altering the schedules for other teams; geography and having the game in Fe instead of Jan made it much harder.

Putting the three calendars (Garden, Bruins, Panthers) together, and assuming both teams want to keep the 5-day bye week and avoid any travel nightmares, back-to-back-to-backs, or 4-in-5s for either team, here are the potential reschedule dates:

January: Boston can only play on 22, 26, 27, 28, 29. All other dates are the bye-week, or create a crowded schedule. The Garden knocks out the 27th. Florida could do 22, but it's logistically silly (yet doable in a pinch) having them go @NSH-@BOS-@DAL. EDIT: As Fenway pointed out, 26-29 is the All Star Break, which leaves only 1/22.

February: Boston alone eliminates every day except 15 and 22. Florida's in Western Canada on 15, and plays at home on 22. So, no reschedule possible in Feb.

March: Boston eliminates everything but the 4th. Florida's busy.

April: Florida's packed except April 8. There's no way the NHL is going to reschedule a game that has a 99.9999% chance of being meaningless to both clubs on the last day of the season, extending both teams' regular season for a day.

So, it looks like 1/26, 1/28, 1/29 are the most reasonable dates? The 28th has the a lot of advantages: no real Sunday football competition, and no new back-to-backs created for either team. The only issue might be turning a "business Thursday" game into a "casual Sunday" game.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So, it looks like 1/26, 1/28, 1/29 are the most reasonable dates? The 28th has the a lot of advantages: no real Sunday football competition, and no new back-to-backs created for either team. The only issue might be turning a "business Thursday" game into a "casual Sunday" game.

One minor problem with those January dates

cut.jpg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Damn well better be postponed if it's as bad as they say (and I have no reason to doubt). I hate the idea of 15,565+ people trying to get to the Garden because of non-refundable tickets. There was a Dallas game 2 or so years ago in February that was played, and that decision seemed sketchy at best. Admittedly, I'm also about 99% sure that there were no alternate dates available to reschedule the game without drastically altering the schedules for other teams; geography and having the game in Fe instead of Jan made it much harder.

Putting the three calendars (Garden, Bruins, Panthers) together, and assuming both teams want to keep the 5-day bye week and avoid any travel nightmares, back-to-back-to-backs, or 4-in-5s for either team, here are the potential reschedule dates:

January: Boston can only play on 22, 26, 27, 28, 29. All other dates are the bye-week, or create a crowded schedule. The Garden knocks out the 27th. Florida could do 22, but it's logistically silly (yet doable in a pinch) having them go @NSH-@BOS-@DAL.

February: Boston alone eliminates every day except 15 and 22. Florida's in Western Canada on 15, and plays at home on 22. So, no reschedule possible in Feb.

March: Boston eliminates everything but the 4th. Florida's busy.

April: Florida's packed except April 8. There's no way the NHL is going to reschedule a game that has a 99.9999% chance of being meaningless to both clubs on the last day of the season, extending both teams' regular season for a day.

Considering all the possibilities just for one game makes my brain hurt. :laugh: I've always wondered how league schedules get made every year when you have so many factors to consider. I'm sure there's some sort of system but it's got to be a lot of work.

Reactions: BMC

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
The truth of the matter is that they are going to make the ticket sale money regardless. Sure they miss out on some concession sales, but that’s not worth moving the schedule all over the place for. With both Florida and the officials already in Boston, I think it’s safe to say the game goes off as scheduled.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wouldn't try to drive if the weather is as bad as they are saying

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So looking forward to being snowed in with a game to watch!
I miss being snowed in. :( Grew up in Maryland and we had some awesome snowstorms there. Of course I was a kid and didn't have to worry about driving to work and getting paid. ;)

In Nashville it only takes about half an inch before everyone is "snowed in." :laugh:

Reactions: sarge88

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
One minor problem with those January dates

D'oh! I thought it was odd that both teams had the ENTIRE weekend off. The break is officially from 1/26-1/29, so yeah, that's a no.

1/22 is then the most doable day. It does force Florida to bounce a little bit. But if you're going to have a back-to-back that spans time zones, better to go from east-to-west, and land in an arena where your game starts 24 hours and 90 minutes later than your last game.

And, yes, I did check the entire Garden calendar, including Celtics...but really, not much needed to be checked, considering both teams were pretty checker-board scheduled in March and April.

Of course, 3-in-a-row or 4-in-5 is possible - there's no explicit rule against it. They did it when they had to reschedule a game last year, but 2 of the 3 were repeat home games, IIRC, and there were literally no other choices.

If they postpone it, it will be only for "safety" purposes. Last thing the Bruins want to deal with is this:

"Hi, I'm Ed Harding, here with the latest on the family of 4 with 2 young children who saved up to go to a Bruins game and died in a car accident on the Turnpike in the winter storm last Thursday. The Boston Bruins organization has no comment at this time, while Mayor Walsh did note that the city was shut down when over a foot of snow was expected."

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Blizzards allow me to actually afford to go to games! I remember getting cheap tickets to a blizzard game versus Calgary a few years back and it took me a few hours to get down there coming from New Hampshire. Chara scored 2 goals and I think it was a shutout.

Now I could probably walk to the Garden so I would be tempted by some last minute dirt cheap tickets...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If both teams and the officials are already in town, just play the game and offer ticket exchanges for those who can't come. Simple as that. Any other options would not really work with anyone's schedule. Jacobs can swallow the dip in concessions revenue for one night.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
yeah. I would consider taking the Commuter rail from Wachusett (90 min ride).
Im hoping they play. Pretty sure my game will get cancelled, so I would def go if tickets are really cheap tomorrow.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The truth of the matter is that they are going to make the ticket sale money regardless. Sure they miss out on some concession sales, but that’s not worth moving the schedule all over the place for. With both Florida and the officials already in Boston, I think it’s safe to say the game goes off as scheduled.
...unless the city of Boston closes the roads. If no security workers can get in they have to postpone.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I love snow games.

And our rep called and asked if we were coming in, we said yes, and invited us to a meet and greet after the game. It’s with “select players”, so likely scratches, and probably because they know it will be empty but STILL.

Reactions: sooshii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->