Friedman: Panthers expected to be aggressive at trying to improve

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
I dont think he is. He just needs players around him that can actually find him. A Top10 C with 2-way play would actually be his best fit. Laine is deadly if he has linemates that canhelp him get his shots on the net and Barkov would be a fit. There is some concerns with his speed, agility and defensive play, but you wont found many better shooters than him.

I don't think it's a matter of skill, but upholding that skill with consistency and desire. When I've seen him play in a couple of Jets/Jackets game it was a matter of getting engaged with the play..which he hadn't shown.

We could of course chalk this up to him of being not into the systems, teammates, the team, or all of the above. He is a high risk/high reward player that, honestly could boost in soo many ways. I'm down. Looking at the FA, i'll take a shot at him but not at a huge cost.. rather sign our core players.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I dont think he is. He just needs players around him that can actually find him. A Top10 C with 2-way play would actually be his best fit. Laine is deadly if he has linemates that canhelp him get his shots on the net and Barkov would be a fit. There is some concerns with his speed, agility and defensive play, but you wont found many better shooters than him.

If he needs a top-10 two-way centre attached to him to be remotely useful at even-strength, I'd say that classifies Laine as overrated.

As it is, Laine needs to be babied at even-strenght. That's just not the kind of player you should be paying big money + term to.

If you want to just find a guy who can shoot and stick on the PP, there are a lot of bargain-bin types for that (and Zito seems to be pretty good at finding useful bargains).

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

He only does one thing really well, and that’s shooting the puck. He’s slow, not physical, a poor puck handler, poor defensively, has questionable work ethic. I want nothing to do with him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Between Bennett and Lundell I’d think you’re set at center. The Panthers don’t seem to need a lot other than to keep the train on the tracks. The goaltending situation could use some stability, maybe another scoring winger who isn’t soft.

Losing Yandle and Bob seem to be the biggest hinderances moving forward.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
kinda funny how you say he’s worth Lundell in one half (after his year, it wouldn’t, but I don’t want him so I don’t care), then answer why it wouldn’t in the second.

I don't say either of those things!

From a Panthers perspective I'd be very interested in getting Laine only if he's willing to work with Zito on a reasonable long term deal. None of this $8m, $9m per stuff. Laine at a good price for Lundell and cap dumps.

And I would say if he's scoring 40-50 goals per year then it doesn't matter if he's weak without the puck, you almost certainly win the trade. Lundell might be a 50 pt guy, we don't know yet.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He only does one thing really well, and that’s shooting the puck. He’s slow, not physical, a poor puck handler, poor defensively, has questionable work ethic. I want nothing to do with him.

Hopefully Zito trades for Laine and he fully embraces the role of the heel of the franchise. When Zito gets asked about the reasons that led to the acquisition, Laine cuts in front of the mic and states that "because he's the best in the biz and the people of Florida deserve the very best". And then goes to score +50goals/90pts per season for the Panthers while ppl accuse of him being lazy, a distraction with on- and off-ice shenanigans, a fraud, etc.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Is it just me, or does Florida seem to be on a seesaw where one year, they have to cut as much cost as possible, then a year or two later they "aggressively plan to get better"?

I feel like if they have a down season in a year or two, the big story will be "Florida trying to cut payroll"

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Is it just me, or does Florida seem to be on a seesaw where one year, they have to cut as much cost as possible, then a year or two later they "aggressively plan to get better"?

I feel like if they have a down season in a year or two, the big story will be "Florida trying to cut payroll"
Those rumors are always bs. Our owner Vinny viola has always been ok with spending up to the cap if need be. I don’t think there’s any real basis with those rumors

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

From a Panthers perspective I'd be very interested in getting Laine only if he's willing to work with Zito on a reasonable long term deal. None of this $8m, $9m per stuff. Laine at a good price for Lundell and cap dumps.

And I would say if he's scoring 40-50 goals per year then it doesn't matter if he's weak without the puck, you almost certainly win the trade. Lundell might be a 50 pt guy, we don't know yet.

Lundell is a no. He’s not being traded for Laine. People need to just forget about that one.

Reactions: VijayPatel11

SlightlyStoned

Dec 7, 2018
Yandle, Stralman, Tippett & Lundell for Laine

Columbus goes rebuild and Florida trades it´s future for cap dumps and success now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Columbus goes rebuild and Florida trades it´s future for cap dumps and success now.

This might work for the Jackets if they decide to go for a hard tank. Yandle and Stralman on the blueline sounds like a good way to try to get Shane Wright. If they're trying to do a respectable rebuild I don't think they'd do it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He for sure has physical side to him(playoffs for example) but it’s not there consistently

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009

I would like Laine, but I highly doubt Lundell would be moved for him. Too much of a risk, and Lundell looks like the real deal.

I would not nice him for Laine.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I would like Laine, but I highly doubt Lundell would be moved for him. Too much of a risk, and Lundell looks like the real deal.

I would not nice him for Laine.

Laine and Barkov last played official games together in WC 2016. Laine had 10 games on Barkovs wing with 7g 5a 12p

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I don’t understand what everyone doesn’t understand about cost controlled assets being extra important in the next few years. Florida would not be wise to trade Lundell for Laine. Yes yes it’s HF and we overvalue potential versus proven talent, but the cap forecast is pretty clear: if you were betting against normal growth, Covid upended that. If there’s a good chance your prospect can play in the NHL, it’s a bad idea to be moving them. The value of cost control is higher than ever.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
these are getting a little ridiculous.. how about "25 of 32 teams are going to be aggressive this offseason".. i mean, how many teams ARENT going to do stuff?
stupid.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
these are getting a little ridiculous.. how about "25 of 32 teams are going to be aggressive this offseason".. i mean, how many teams ARENT going to do stuff?
stupid.
Agreed, but the funny part is, for the first time in pretty much ever, I’m okay if the Panthers aren’t aggressive unless they’re getting a top 4 defender. I think next off-season is far more favorable for the Panthers financially than this one.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
So?

Are you using WC 5 years ago as a reason to deal Lundell for Laine?

No, I wouldnt do Lundell for Laine - I would use a 1st, Tippet and minor assets. If trade for Laine you need cost-controlled players down the chart. I would try to get Laine though, but wouldnt sacrifice Lundell for him.
That WC 2016 is the only official games they played together so used it as an example of what could be. Thoose two have trained together every summer so I suppose they will find eachother pretty nicely in the NHL too.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
stupid.

A few. It’s probably being talked about more now due to the flat cap.

as Beinfest has said, they’re not moving a cost controlled guy, especially after just signing him with the comments Zito made.

it’s just you. They’ve been a cap team for years now with absurd rumors flying about that haven’t happened at any time.

again, Lundell isn’t being traded.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No, I wouldnt do Lundell for Laine - I would use a 1st, Tippet and minor assets. If trade for Laine you need cost-controlled players down the chart. I would try to get Laine though, but wouldnt sacrifice Lundell for him.
That WC 2016 is the only official games they played together so used it as an example of what could be. Thoose two have trained together every summer so I suppose they will find eachother pretty nicely in the NHL too.

The issue is Florida has 1 asset Columbus would want and that’s Lundell.

No way on Earth would they deal Laine for Tippett+

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad