GDT: Panthers @ Capitals - 2/16/23 - 7pm ET

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The man scored 31 points in the cup run and has skills up the wazoo. Could be an amazing add for a cup run.

But sure, he's been pretty bad lately.

Sure, but it’s more that the salary cap really affects how teams value players. It’s why Brandon Hagel returned 2 first round draft picks from Tampa, for instance.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
It's simple. There is no way out. Ownership is wedded to old guys with large contracts who can't play (sorry if that offends some).....and wants to roll the dice to see if they can get revenue from 2 home playoff games. We can debate the aptitude of GMBM, but his hands are tied. And even tied more because some large contracts of players who theoretically can still play and who might be attractive to trade partners (Kuzy & Mantha) refuse to make an effort. It's almost impossible to see how this doesn't continue to swirl down the drain, with some window dressing at the margins.

But, at least, we finally have some goaltending. Bad timing.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I hope next home game, Caps fans stop going to the game. Ted doesn't do anything until the fans stop showing up to the games, because it strongly effects his profits if fans are not at the arena buying food, drinks and merchandise.

Reactions: PlushMinus

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It's simple. There is no way out. Ownership is wedded to old guys with large contracts who can't play (sorry if that offends some).....and wants to roll the dice to see if they can get revenue from 2 home playoff games. We can debate the aptitude of GMBM, but his hands are tied. And even tied more because some large contracts of players who theoretically can still play and who might be attractive to trade partners (Kuzy & Mantha) refuse to make an effort. It's almost impossible to see how this doesn't continue to swirl down the drain, with some window dressing at the margins.

But, at least, we finally have some goaltending. Bad timing.
It's not bad timing, but terrible management how bad the team is playing right now. Bad coaching that doesn't have regard for actually putting together the best lineup to win games. The Caps had a great December winning a lot of games because the coaching staff was forced to put the younger players in the lineup.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Shocking that the AOL guy won’t adapt to changes in his business environment that call into question the continued viability of strategies that once worked but are now outmoded
AOL was on top in the dial-up world of the internet. Broadband comes around and AOL plummets into chaos. AOL did not setup their infrastructure for future technologies. They peaked very high but had a lot of underlying issues that were never addressed. Ted modeled AOL around a lot of marketing to make profit. The Caps are not much different and the same crappy business model setup by Ted is turning the team into shit, fast!

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Shocking that the AOL guy won’t adapt to changes in his business environment that call into question the continued viability of strategies that once worked but are now outmoded

Good point. Maybe he's literally still "The AOL Guy" though. Flip phone with no Internet, still dialing up on the PC, crossing his fingers for that sweet, rare full-56K handshake while listening to the screech, his neck hair standing up with excitement when that breathy voice tells him he has mail...

He looks just jolly enough to still enjoy those nightmare days...

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This season is pretty much over, but I fear that ownership will give management enough excuses to not make any substantial changes in the off-season. Hopefully Lavi's gone and some roster overhaul happens purely because of expiring contracts (both for Lavi and UFAs), but even that seems a little superficial given that the roster's core issues are with players with term remaining. But this organization sure seems like one that will be willing to overlook the hard truths to hide behind "oh, well, we were one of the most injured teams in the league and then we lost Ovechkin during a crucial stretch of games due to terrible circumstances beyond anyone's control" as an excuse to trot back largely the same roster in 2023-24.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
This season is pretty much over, but I fear that ownership will give management enough excuses to not make any substantial changes in the off-season. Hopefully Lavi's gone and some roster overhaul happens purely because of expiring contracts (both for Lavi and UFAs), but even that seems a little superficial given that the roster's core issues are with players with term remaining. But this organization sure seems like one that will be willing to overlook the hard truths to hide behind "oh, well, we were one of the most injured teams in the league and then we lost Ovechkin during a crucial stretch of games due to terrible circumstances beyond anyone's control" as an excuse to trot back largely the same roster in 2023-24.
So what does the 2024 draft class look like?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Did not watch this entire game but the eye test of seeing this team play makes feel like they should be to some degree a seller and mix in some youth after the trade deadline to help with some dev..

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Yep, agree. This all goes back to the question about team identity.

Are the Washington Capitals all about getting Ovie 895? Cos if that's the case they are doing more harm than good the way they are currently playing / structured.

Is this team trying to stay competitive because Ovie "implored" Ted to keep it that way? If so then let the future greatest goal scorer of all time score goals and leave the team structure / roster up to the GM. And NOT the owner who I am convinced has no f***ing idea when it comes to pro sports. The guy knows how to make money, absolutely, but those are two entirely different things. I'm sorry but any idiot can win the draft lottery and pick the generational hockey player. Building a multiple Cup winning team around him is a different story. But they've done it. Once. And hey, once is better than nonce...

And before the criticism comes rolling in, I'm not even being doom and gloom. I had the Caps missing the playoffs this season. I'm not disappointed with how they've played. They have had a lot of adversity and they are a team on the decline. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think otherwise.

But let's see mgmt / ownership make some smart decisions and look to increments of improvement over the next few years. Not treading water / slowly drowning. Because as a fan it's very f***ing hard to take.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The disturbing thing about last night is, while they may not have a stellar record with Ovie out, they've typically at least looked like a motivated team punching up when their captain has been gone.

That performance vs FLA was one of the worst in a big game I've seen since Ovechkin brought them back from the league dregs in his early days. We looked like a rebuild team, but with less snarl from a few lunks like Doig or whoever, and no GOAT goalscorer in the making to provide some level of hope or entertainment.

Yeah, the game 7 playoff chokejobs and other playoff collapses were disappointing and lame, but you felt those were a symptom of self-sabotage by a team that just couldn't allow itself to be successful.

Last night's effort was simply disjointed and awful, and Lavi looked like Hanlon or Oates on the bench...utterly confounded and confused by what he was seeing, and unable to figure out why it was happening.

That game was the gut check...the litmus test...for how valuable and resilient the guys left standing really are. The answer is not encouraging and does little to make the case for most of them to be on the team next year, or even next month.

Sell.

71e623f1-6b0e-4f8f-9806-62d53a971e88_text.gif

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I hope next home game, Caps fans stop going to the game. Ted doesn't do anything until the fans stop showing up to the games, because it strongly effects his profits if fans are not at the arena buying food, drinks and merchandise.
Nah man.

Support the guys.

This is nowhere close to a Snyder situation.

dang .. Snyder got all DC sports fans on the ledge

I will say a Caps ticket guy called me last week out of the blue after a few years.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
We'll see. Last time they missed the playoffs they went nuclear, replacing the coach and GM. Wasn't that the summer they brought in Orpik and Nisky too?

I know their situation is much different now, but that gives me some hope.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nah man.

Support the guys.

This is nowhere close to a Snyder situation.

dang .. Snyder got all DC sports fans on the ledge

I will say a Caps ticket guy called me last week out of the blue after a few years.
Agreed. They’re just old and need to be rebuilt. This is the greatest generation of Caps players in franchise history and even though they’re not who they used to be they deserve to go out with the proper adulation and appreciation.

Last edited:

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Besides the awful play on the ice: the Joe B & Locker broadcast was insufferable. I mean, the Bert & Ernie schtick is endearing, but when the team is sucking more wind than a 1000hp vaccum, you don't need to pump the tires on our worst performing players. I recall the camera doing a close-up of Helen Eller and Locker just bragging about him.

Also, the best thing to do is go to the games and Booooourns like crazy. Empty seats are one thing, but audible discontent is a lot better. Let them know.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Besides the awful play on the ice: the Joe B & Locker broadcast was insufferable. I mean, the Bert & Ernie schtick is endearing, but when the team is sucking more wind than a 1000hp vaccum, you don't need to pump the tires on our worst performing players. I recall the camera doing a close-up of Helen Eller and Locker just bragging about him.

Also, the best thing to do is go to the games and Booooourns like crazy. Empty seats are one thing, but audible discontent is a lot better. Let them know.

Concur. I had to mute the broadcast last night. At least Alan May will call a spade a spade.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Yeah I’m getting Rivera vibes from Lavi behind the bench, dude just looks defeated

Yeah, I said this a few weeks back and people said its not a valid comparison mostly because Lavi's won a cup, and has taken other teams to cup championship. And I get that. But my point wasn't that. My point, like yours, was that with this particular team, Lavi looks the same way Ron looks with the Commanders. Clueless, defeated. Just a terrible head coach.

Reactions: Misery74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad