GDT: Panthers @ Avalanche | Time to show some bouncebackability! 7pm MST/ ALT2

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I liked Roy's press conference. He didn't think the problem was as much effort as it was focus and decision making. Avs aren't paying as much attention to the defensive coverage as they did earlier.

He also said these losses helps management evaluate the players.

---

Barrie would instantly be the second best puck mover on D if they recall him. Just because he didn't look great on the PP during the five games (all wins) he played here doesn't mean he can't help this team. He would add a dimension that is sorely lacking.

I don't know if I agree with that. Seemed like the Panthers won every battle along the boards and got to most of the loose pucks first. Avs got outworked. That's an effort issue.

Agree about Barrie.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Barrie is not on this team because he plays the right side and we have EJ, Sarich, and Guenin there. Guenin and Sarich have been anchors of the PK. We can't take them out of the lineup.

Of course we can. Just take Guenin out and play EJ on the PK. Guenin has been playing worse and worse lately. Bad defensive coverage and him starting to throw long passes from our zone that end up being icings half the time.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You do realize that Guenin/Holden are a bigger experiment playing than Barrie playing would be?

I know, adding one more in Barrie wont help.

I'm praying for a trade for d-man so the good start doesn't go to waste and miss the playoffs yet again

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Of course we can. Just take Guenin out and play EJ on the PK. Guenin has been playing worse and worse lately. Bad defensive coverage and him starting to throw long passes from our zone that end up being icings half the time.

Well I know it is possible. That is the reason Barrie is in the AHL and Holden and Hunwick are in the NHL though. I expect Barrie to be called up by the time we play Chicago.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Well I know it is possible. That is the reason Barrie is in the AHL and Holden and Hunwick are in the NHL though. I expect Barrie to be called up by the time we play Chicago.

Since some of you like to focus your disgust on certain players (you know who you are), thought I would throw in some overall D stats from the last 3 game losses:

Holden 1pt -3 average over 17 minutes per game
Guenin 1pt -4 average 16 mins
Johnson 0pt +1 average 23 mins
Hejda 0pt -4 average 23 mins
Sarich 1 pt -3 average 16 mins (missed part of 1 game due to injury)
Benoit 0pt even average 20 mins (in 2 games)

These losses have been a group effort as the numbers above indicate and in 2 of the 3 games we have scored 1 goal

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
We should call up Barrie, hopefully get Benoit back soon, and make a small depth trade for a change of scenery type player like Nikitin. Average player but certainly better than Holden/Hunwick. Neither of those two belong in the NHL. If Tanguay is going to be out for a long time I'd like to call up Malone and inject some energy and passion in the bottom 6. I feel more comfortable with him filling in as a top 9 winger than I do with Johnny Malkin out there killing plays on every shift.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
LOL Avs play the Hawks next who got blown out by Preds. They might be just a bit upset.

That should be another loss Tuesday

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know, adding one more in Barrie wont help.

I'm praying for a trade for d-man so the good start doesn't go to waste and miss the playoffs yet again

LOL Avs play the Hawks next who got blown out by Preds. They might be just a bit upset.

That should be another loss Tuesday

You're having one of your meltdowns. Time to relax man.

Two awful games in a row and we should be concerned but the season isn't over. We're 14-5.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
We should call up Barrie, hopefully get Benoit back soon, and make a small depth trade for a change of scenery type player like Nikitin. Average player but certainly better than Holden/Hunwick. Neither of those two belong in the NHL. If Tanguay is going to be out for a long time I'd like to call up Malone and inject some energy and passion in the top 6. I feel more comfortable with him filling in as a top 9 winger than I do with Johnny Malkin out there killing plays on every shift.

see stats post above ...apparently Sarich and Guenin don't belong in the NHL either

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm in 100% agreement with Roy on the idea that the forwards are getting too fancy and looking for the perfect play. There was way too many drop passes tonight and in the last few games.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm in 100% agreement with Roy on the idea that the forwards are getting too fancy and looking for the perfect play. There was way too many drop passes tonight and in the last few games.

PAP is one of the guys doing it the most. Downie was handling the puck like a grenade right before he got traded but he knew his limits. He usually tried to make the quick and safe play. PAP is trying to do too much with Duchene and O'Reilly.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Also posted this in the trade thread.

Record with Downie: 10-1
Record with Talbot: 4-4

Ok, I'm forever done whining about this trade.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
And in the last 3 just lost to 2 of the worst teams in the East. :help:

Hockey is a sport where the worst team can easily win. Avs were the better team against Carolina and this game could have looked a lot different if Avs would have gotten a PP for the high stick on Duchene instead of being down 0-1. Having to chase brought out the worst of this team, trying to force plays that weren't there all night long.

You can't be too results orientated. Sometimes you get the breaks and sometimes you don't. There were games during those 6 game win streaks Avs got the bounces and now they don't. In the long run, these things should even out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I would much rather have Downie and I think 90% of the people here feel the same way but neither one of them makes us win/lose. I love Downie but he was playing terrible before getting traded and there were a lot of people who wanted him demoted to the 3rd line so PAP could play with Duchene/O'Reilly.

Varly not standing on his head and stopping everything, the D's play really slipping, and the forwards not working as hard in the defensive zone is why we're losing.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Well that's just a horrible way to judge a trade. Losing Tanguay and the defense's play falling off are probably much bigger reasons.

People were clamoring for Downie to be dropped to the 3rd line before he got dealt. I'm not sure he would have changed a whole lot in these last few games.

Roy is correct in pointing out this team loses focus a lot. When they're down, some players try to do too much. That was evident tonight, particularly with Duchene, IMO.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs were never going to play at a 10/1 win-loss ratio anyway. Avs could replace Hunwick with Ryan Suter and their record would still be worse than that of the first 11 games.

This Talbot obsession is bizarre. He's a third line defensive player that kills penalties. He's never going to drive play. Besides, he had one of his better games as an Avs player today. He and MacKinnon were probably the two that did what they are supposed to do.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Well that's just a horrible way to judge a trade. Losing Tanguay and the defense's play falling off are probably much bigger reasons.

People were clamoring for Downie to be dropped to the 3rd line before he got dealt. I'm not sure he would have changed a whole lot in these last few games.

Roy is correct in pointing out this team loses focus a lot. When they're down, some players try to do too much. That was evident tonight, particularly with Duchene, IMO.

Oh for sure, just thought I'd throw that stat out there. It's not even Talbot really (although I don't think we need him at all), it's the fact Downie is worth a LOT more than Talbot.

Would have liked one of philly's D-men, we could have added something small if needed.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
Judging by tonight's game, O'Reilly not only belongs at center but he needs to be on a more grind-type linethan a finesse-type line with Duchene. When O'Reilly is in the center of the ice he makes things happen with his wingers, he seems much more comfortable at center. I know that he has only played about 15 games at wing but I wouldn't mind seeing O'Reilly reunited with Landeskog and MacKinnon bumped up with Duchene. I liked these lines from today:

Talbot - Duchene - MacKinnon
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Parenteau
McGinn - Stastny - Mitchell
McLeod - Cliche - Bordeleau

When Tanguay comes back, he would replace Mitchell and Mitchell would go to his proper position. I think Talbot would be good for Duchene's line defensively.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
Or, when everyone is healthy:

McGinn - Duchene - MacKinnon
Talbot - Stastny - Tanguay
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau

McGinn would add that grittiness that has been missing from Dutchy's line since Downie left and a good shot. MacKinnon and McGinn have already shown good chemistry in the limited time they've been together and both would be able to skate with Dutchy.

O'Reilly line could generate just as much offense, generally P.A. being pass first, Landy being shoot first, and ROR mixing it up

Stastny line would be great defensively IMO Tanguay has a very underrated defensive game and those two had great chemistry before Tanguay went down. Add Talbot to Stastny's play along the boards and that could be a great cycling line down low.

The 4th line would be the 4th line, they've played well so far with Cliche in there and would be better with Mitchell taking draws and playing where he belongs

let me know what you think

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Or, when everyone is healthy:

McGinn - Duchene - MacKinnon
Talbot - Stastny - Tanguay
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau

McGinn would add that grittiness that has been missing from Dutchy's line since Downie left and a good shot. MacKinnon and McGinn have already shown good chemistry in the limited time they've been together and both would be able to skate with Dutchy.

O'Reilly line could generate just as much offense, generally P.A. being pass first, Landy being shoot first, and ROR mixing it up

Stastny line would be great defensively IMO Tanguay has a very underrated defensive game and those two had great chemistry before Tanguay went down. Add Talbot to Stastny's play along the boards and that could be a great cycling line down low.

The 4th line would be the 4th line, they've played well so far with Cliche in there and would be better with Mitchell taking draws and playing where he belongs

let me know what you think

Not a fan to be honest.
This season is all about development.
Your lines essentially mean that we will have to trade atleast one of ROR or Stastny in order to make room for Mac down the middle in the near future. (probably both).

We were playing great at the beginning because we had essentially 3 offensively potent scoring lines.

After losing both Tanguay and Downie along with moving up Mac and PAP, we completely lost that edge. It is way easier to shut us down now.
Add that the defense and goaltending finally have come down to earth and one can see why we are losing.

With your lines we would waste Stastny again. Tanguay will be out for a while and Talbot is the kind of guy Stastny had to play with for the last few seasons (glorified 4th liner) and not exactly excelled. Stastny needs teammates who can belong into a top 6 to play with.
Talbot certainly is not that.

Keep ROR as a winger please.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
If Dutchy misses time I'd like to see these lines with call ups for Malone, Olver (if we don't sign an FA like Gagne), Elliott and Barrie with Hunwick sent down:

Lando-ROR-PAP
McGinn-Staz-Malone
Olver-MacKinnon-Cliche
McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot
(replace Olver with Gagne and move him to Staz line if that happens)
Bordy

Barrie-EJ
Hejda-Elliott
Benoit/Holden-Sarich
Guenin

ROR is back to center with #9 out, Malone gets his shot, Olver gets another chance (noone better to call up really). Cliche gets rewarded for good play and will be the defensive dude on the 3rd line.

Barrie is tried with EJ, Hejda gives Elliott a calming presence and Holden replaces Benoit only if Benoit can't play.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
First game I missed watching because my gf had some kinda dinner thing and she was mad at me for checking my phone for updates and I must say I'm glad I missed it. I would be going ballistic watching them lose to the panties. I expected a little slump, but not losing to crap teams. I hope the avs get lucky and beat the hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad