Rumor: Panthers among at least 5 teams (BOS, COL, DAL & NYI) interested in d-man Ryan Suter

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I think Suter can still play at a top-4 level for at least TWO years…

Wouldn’t mind giving him a two-years, maybe even three, contract…

Ryan Suter’s hockey IQ is through the roof, and even if he loses some speed, he should be okay in the playoffs which should be our only goal now !

Reactions: harv33173 and Clint

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Suter's trajectory is on its way down. He'll be 37 by the end of next season and has been slowing down. He played somewhat protected minutes this year (only 48% of starts were in the D Zone). Minnesota relied on Brodin, Cole and Soucy a ton defensively last season. Also Suter's not particularly physical (never has been), he only had 38 hits last season. For comparison Keith Yandle had 18 hits.

I think there are better options than Suter who's price might be a bit rich considering his name. If Zito signs him it will likely be for cheap, I can't see him buying out Yandle and committing long term to Suter less than a month apart.

I think you're missing the forest for the trees. Yes, everything you said is true. But we're not looking for a top-pairing Norris nominee who eats 29 minutes a game and puts up 70 points. We need a stable mid-pairing left-handed defenseman who moves the puck safely up through the neutral zone. Suter fits the bill perfectly.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Gildon, Ludvig and/or Kolyachonok are the younger options with upside.

Who would all be wisely slotted in as #7 guys until they fully adjust to the NHL game. I like all three of them but have no compunction whatsoever about letting them develop an extra year and earn their spot on the top 6 when the time is right.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah, his skating is going, but he's so sound positionally that it doesn't really matter. One of the best defensive d-men to ever play, it's just all upstairs with him so even if his skating completely falls apart which it shouldnt in 1-2 years, he'll still be an asset.

I mean you never know when it goes. It's painful to watch like we have seen with Mitchell, Jovo etc.

Now I didn't watch him at all this year so don't know what the deal is. But I read from Minnesota's board that he got beat this year uncharacteristically which is pretty alarming. Like you said, his IQ is through the roof and if you still get beat, it's speed at that point. And you can't fix that anymore, it's all downhill with him from here on out.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
But I read from Minnesota's board that he got beat this year uncharacteristically which is pretty alarming.

You sure? I'm looking at their buyout thread right now and all I can see is shock and surprise that he was bought out. They're happy Parise is gone but seem pretty unhappy Suter's been dropped alongside him. So much so that they're speculating it must be personality issues because it literally couldn't possibly be performance issues.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
You sure? I'm looking at their buyout thread right now and all I can see is shock and surprise that he was bought out. They're happy Parise is gone but seem pretty unhappy Suter's been dropped alongside him. So much so that they're speculating it must be personality issues because it literally couldn't possibly be performance issues.

I'm sure, it was a while ago though and can't remember which thread it was.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Who would all be wisely slotted in as #7 guys until they fully adjust to the NHL game. I like all three of them but have no compunction whatsoever about letting them develop an extra year and earn their spot on the top 6 when the time is right.

In case you've forgotten, it's been four years since Gildon got drafted so this the club most definitely isn't going to wait like six years before they might give him a decent opportunity to be a roster player. When the big boys need to re-up their contracts then you end up scratching your head about where the cheap ELC and bridge deal players are whom are already accustomed to the NHL action.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
In case you've forgotten, it's been four years since Gildon got drafted so this the club most definitely isn't going to wait like six years before they might give him a decent opportunity to be a roster player. When the big boys need to re-up their contracts then you end up scratching your head about where the cheap ELC and bridge deal players are whom are already accustomed to the NHL action.

He's played 32 games at the professional level.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
No thanks to Suter. I can see the HFB battle lines are drawn.

A championship team needs D with skill AND enough speed. I watched MN playoff games. He was slow, admittedly he anticipates well, but at key times, he wasn’t the consistent spark.

This is an opportunity to NOT be the retirement club. But I’ve been wrong before.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
No thanks to Suter. I can see the HFB battle lines are drawn.

A championship team needs D with skill AND enough speed. I watched MN playoff games. He was slow, admittedly he anticipates well, but at key times, he wasn’t the consistent spark.

This is an opportunity to NOT be the retirement club. But I’ve been wrong before.
THIS 100%.

I'd rather get Montour/ Nuti resigned or make a deal to get a vet with some wheels. I think one of the more refreshing things we have seen changed in our previous roster is d-men that can actually skate the puck out; instead of constantly dumping it out or making stupid decisions to get the puck moving out of our zone. We had the luxury to see Forsling, Weegar, Montour and on occasion Ekblad do this multiple times to great success. It gives us more flexibility to either skate the puck out, or stretch the forwards out with long passes. Speed is key here. We have Duclair, Verhaeghe, Lomberg and even Barkov that gave the other team conniptions trying to contain that speed. Having mobile and quick d just complimented it nicely. The whole reason Yandle was bought out was because he didn't have any of it. Shit it was the very reason why we started to sour with Ekblad in the first place. Doubly shit, thats why we want to get rid of Stralman. If they both had their speed and mobility we would have kept them. It's all about mobility.

I understand the need to get more experience / vet players but I do not think we should sacrifice speed or game plan here. Suter could provide that hockey IQ we need, sure. He could provide locker room and leadership support that Yandle was great at, sure. He could be a solid d man, sure.

But I would not like to see money tied up on an aging player when we could just make smarter moves. We should put more trust into our young players, Kierstad/Ludwiv, Kolychonok, Priskie and Keeper. We have 3 top dman - Ekblad, Weegar and Forsling. I say we make smart moves here.

Reactions: KW

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I’d kinda like to see Gildon and Ludvig get a full year in the AHL but whatever.

-ghoste

Same. And Koly too. We have no reason to be rushing these guys, even if it’s a bottom pairing role. Never heard of a guy turning out bad because he spent too much time in the AHL.

Reactions: Ghoste

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean you never know when it goes. It's painful to watch like we have seen with Mitchell, Jovo etc.

Now I didn't watch him at all this year so don't know what the deal is. But I read from Minnesota's board that he got beat this year uncharacteristically which is pretty alarming. Like you said, his IQ is through the roof and if you still get beat, it's speed at that point. And you can't fix that anymore, it's all downhill with him from here on out.

For sure its all downhill, but he'll still be a solid 2nd pair guy for at least 2 more seasons. That's all we need. He s slowing down, but he's still a very smart player. He gets beat eveey now and then, but he-s not Yandle and he wont be Yandle bad for the duration of the contract if its 2 years or less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad