Rumor: Panthers among at least 5 teams (BOS, COL, DAL & NYI) interested in d-man Ryan Suter

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
What’s a good price for Suter? 3Mx2? I feel like there will be a lot of high bidders if we are up against all of those other teams.

I don't think that gets it done. Too many teams still interested. But all depends if he wants to cash in or go to a contender. I feel like NYI and Colorado are ahead of us anyway so probably a moot point.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m not really super excited about Suter. He’s a more physical version of Yandle. He’s got skill but due to age, he’s slow and without a doubt we saw that speed is absolutely critical these days, especially in playoffs.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'd rather overpay on a 1 year deal, than sign him for two and regret it halfway through the first year.
2 words: Radim Vrbata. Scored 20 goals for the Desert Dogs 1 year earlier, said he'd be retiring after the season 20 games in with Florida he looked so bad. Imagine getting stuck with that a 2nd year.

Reactions: SoupyFIN

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Not the offensive player he used to be obviously but man this would be a great pickup. I know it's not the end-all but last year he would have been tied with Forsling for second on the Panthers in defensive point shares and can still play 20 minutes a night. He'd fit in splendidly on any of Ekblad's or Weegar's or Gudas' left side.

Really hope this comes to fruition.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I’m not really super excited about Suter. He’s a more physical version of Yandle. He’s got skill but due to age, he’s slow and without a doubt we saw that speed is absolutely critical these days, especially in playoffs.

No way. Suter has never been anything like Yandle. He's always been a sound positional player and he played well last year even though the offensive game isn't what it used to be.

Edit: Only 12 PIMs this past season. I'll admit I barely caught any Wild games but if he were getting caught out of position or falling behind the play he'd clock way more minors. Yandle, a wholly non-physical player, clocked 38 PIMs.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

That's a really weird comparison. Yandle is soft, finesse type and purely offensive player. Sutter is horse who won't lose to anyone in physicality and overall much more a shutdown type. I don't think you could've compared him to a more different player :laugh:

But my concern is also his skating, it has apparently started to decline. And when it goes it can go really fast like we've seen in the past.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Suter's trajectory is on its way down. He'll be 37 by the end of next season and has been slowing down. He played somewhat protected minutes this year (only 48% of starts were in the D Zone). Minnesota relied on Brodin, Cole and Soucy a ton defensively last season. Also Suter's not particularly physical (never has been), he only had 38 hits last season. For comparison Keith Yandle had 18 hits.

I think there are better options than Suter who's price might be a bit rich considering his name. If Zito signs him it will likely be for cheap, I can't see him buying out Yandle and committing long term to Suter less than a month apart.

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Forsling Ekblad
Suter Weegar
Nuti Gudas

I think I like it. But yes, one year only, max like 1.5

or 2 years for 800K. He can f*** off if he wants more than that. Besides, he is getting paid by Minnesota. No double dipping.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Suter's trajectory is on its way down. He'll be 37 by the end of next season and has been slowing down. He played somewhat protected minutes this year (only 48% of starts were in the D Zone). Minnesota relied on Brodin, Cole and Soucy a ton defensively last season.

I think there are better options than Suter who's price might be a bit rich considering his name. If Zito signs him it will likely be for cheap, I can't see him buying out Yandle and committing long term to Suter less than a month apart.

Zito might be tempted to sign Suter because then he doesn't have to hemorrhage any assets which are pretty valuable in this market. 36yo Suter is another ticking time bomb. We might get one good year out of Suter and the following year(s) is going to be another Yandle-like adventure.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Forsling Ekblad
Suter Weegar
Nuti Gudas

or 2 years for 800K. He can f*** off if he wants more than that. Besides, he is getting paid by Minnesota. No double dipping.
That second pairing is going to get sliced up by any line with speed.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Forsling Ekblad
Suter Weegar
Nuti Gudas

Nuti will be gone if Suter gets signed. Gildon is 22yo already and a top dman in the AHL, no point in postponing his introduction to the 22-23 campaign.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Nuti will be gone if Suter gets signed. Gildon is 22yo already and a top dman in the AHL, no point in postponing his introduction to the 22-23 campaign.
We want competition and Q isn't afraid of benching Nuti. I think Nuti/Gildon has the 7th seems pretty dang good.

Reactions: Clint

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
We want competition and Q isn't afraid of benching Nuti. I think Nuti/Gildon has the 7th seems pretty dang good.

We want quality competition. Considering how little Q trusts Nuti, he's just dead cap space. Nuti is a cap dump in a trade. I think Gildon will earn a roster spot in the training camp but that's just my guess.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's a really weird comparison. Yandle is soft, finesse type and purely offensive player. Sutter is horse who won't lose to anyone in physicality and overall much more a shutdown type. I don't think you could've compared him to a more different player :laugh:

But my concern is also his skating, it has apparently started to decline. And when it goes it can go really fast like we've seen in the past.

Yeah, his skating is going, but he's so sound positionally that it doesn't really matter. One of the best defensive d-men to ever play, it's just all upstairs with him so even if his skating completely falls apart which it shouldnt in 1-2 years, he'll still be an asset.

Reactions: Clint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad