Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4, Senators 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
This is so true. I don't use the word "wonderful" that often but what he has done for their development in such a short amount of time has been straight-up wonderful.

Again, a very small sample size. But for what it's worth.

Huberdeau
PPG pre Jagr: 0.569
PPG since Jagr: 1.067

Barkov
PPG pre Jagr: 0.42
PPG since Jagr: 0.667

Jagr
PPG /w NJD: 0.509
PPG /w FLA: 0.857

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Question, when it's all said and done Jagr would have played what, 20, 21 games as a panther? is that still considered a small sample size?

they keep it up, which they will, I think that's enough games to call it an absolute hit.

I'd argue the Jagr trade has been the 2nd best trade this year, maybe 3rd, behind the Dubnyk trade.

and had they done the trade sooner and not close to the deadline (absolutely hate how late the TDL is btw), Can argue would have been the best trade this year

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Question, when it's all said and done Jagr would have played what, 20, 21 games as a panther? is that still considered a small sample size?

they keep it up, which they will, I think that's enough games to call it an absolute hit.

I'd argue the Jagr trade has been the 2nd best trade this year, maybe 3rd, behind the Dubnyk trade.

What was 1st?

When you say I will feel embarrassed for not knowing.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Dare I say we try to bring back Ellis? Looks better than Cubano. 1 year deal possible 2 way deal?

I appreciate his effort but no way, he's a bad goalie. Hopefully his play lands him a look elsewhere.

No.

The sample size is too small.

All the props in the world to Ellis; the guy has stepped up and done everything you could possibly ask for to help the team out. Nobody is talking about Florida if Ellis doesn't step in and play like he has.

However, Ellis' career numbers are almost identical to Montoya's.

Dan Ellis played behind Nashville and Anaheim. Montoya was behind the Islanders and Jets. 2 of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Boychuk and Leddy trades were both great for NYI

in-season I think the Tyler Myers for the Jets was superb.

honorable mentions for Zidlicky and sekera.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Dare I say we try to bring back Ellis? Looks better than Cubano. 1 year deal possible 2 way deal?
I doubt he's going to settle for two-way and anything below 900k won't count against the cap.

With the way he's played this season, he's a good insurance policy for any team (note: that has a good defense/defensive system to shelter him) to have in the minors.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I appreciate his effort but no way, he's a bad goalie. Hopefully his play lands him a look elsewhere.

I disagree, I think Ellis is a pretty good goaltender. Tonight definitely showed that he has the caliber of being a good back up, he made key saves that kept us in the game and beat a smoking hot Ottawa team. I like his play so far a lot better than Montoya's. Do you really think anyone would be saying Devin Dubnyk could be the next Veznia winner if you look at his past track record? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is the next vezina winner, but I don't doubt he could be a nice back-up.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
MvVdSZG.gif

jJq7lFZ.gif

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
anyone else after second barkov goal the other night think oh my hatter time... of course never happend.

Not for lack of effort. That line powered the Panthers to their tie in regulation. Every time they were on the ice they were putting pressure on Price. And Jagr, even at his age, was noticeably the best player on the ice for either team.

First time at a game, and it seemed Gallant was playing just 2 lines and occasionally sticking a third in there. Unfortunately one of the 2 lines he was playing was centered by Bolland. My God he was terrible...I seriously wondered why Gallant wasn't benching him until I finally saw the news Sunday morning that Bjugstad's out for the season.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003

personally i think ellis has played great, but imo montoya is better long term. that being said i'd love to sign ellis to a two way contract if he's willing. double insurance policy.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Someone like Buffalo or the Isles should sign him. He's been great this season in call up but Montoya has a better body of work to support him.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
As of right now we have one consistent scoring line.

I wish we can develop a second potent offensive threat next year maybe with pirri and bjug plus another new quality veteran winger making up the 2nd line.

Have pirri and bjug played together this year? I cant recall. Did they have good chemistry?

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Ellis was bad last year, he's been good this year.
Montoya has been OK thos year, so he'll be a superstar next year!

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Man, Jagr and Huberdeau seem to have formed a bond. Just look at the excitement on Jagr's face as Huby approaches. Even if Jagr was just here until the end of this season, its one of the best trades this franchise has ever made. The knowledge that these youngsters are gaining from him is invaluable, and will only help them out in the future.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I disagree, I think Ellis is a pretty good goaltender. Tonight definitely showed that he has the caliber of being a good back up, he made key saves that kept us in the game and beat a smoking hot Ottawa team. I like his play so far a lot better than Montoya's. Do you really think anyone would be saying Devin Dubnyk could be the next Veznia winner if you look at his past track record? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is the next vezina winner, but I don't doubt he could be a nice back-up.

The Panthers played like crap in front of Montoya, mostly. Tbf most of his starts were on the second of b2b against good teams, but they didn't look like this in front of him.

Someone like Buffalo or the Isles should sign him. He's been great this season in call up but Montoya has a better body of work to support him.

Lumbus

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
ellis incredible yet again.

our season rides on the 2 boston games. we can't lose tomorrow in any fashion, not even in ot. to fall an additional point back, there won't be enough games left, even playing them 1 more time unless they realllllly stumble in the last 5 games. so we need to win, even if they get a point worst case scenario, but we need to win and get at least 1pt closer. because then we'd only need 2 more wins, a win for us and a lose for them 1 day, then comes down to our final matchup. short and simple: we need to win, can't lose, even in OT otherwise we're pretty much out.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Man, Jagr and Huberdeau seem to have formed a bond. Just look at the excitement on Jagr's face as Huby approaches. Even if Jagr was just here until the end of this season, its one of the best trades this franchise has ever made. The knowledge that these youngsters are gaining from him is invaluable, and will only help them out in the future.

Barkov and Huby also seem close - at the start of the third in Montreal the two seemed to be sharing a joke before lining up for the puck drop.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
The crap I took on twitter since December begging for us to pick up jagr

Why would we want a 53 yo Czech?

Don't give up a 2nd rounder!

No way he can help, stick to youth.

Actual quotes from people in "the know"

so entertaining...

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I can't believe how far along out PP has come. We can send out multiple players and run multiple plays. Whether it's:

- Pirri set-up for a one timer on the right point.

- Ekblad unloading from the point. His shots are also very tip-able.

- Jokinen finding that soft quiet spot in the center of the zone for a one-timer.

- When he was healthy, Bjugs setting up on the left half boards for a one-timer (though this doesn't really seem to work much, I'd like to see him in another role on the PP next year).

- Hubby working the puck down low from the corner/side of the net.

I'm sure there's others I've missed.

This is making our teams PP really hard to scout and defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia