Post-Game Talk: Panthers 2, Bruins 3 - Season Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I think there is a misperception here going on when people think what Gallant says to the media = what he says to the players. I seriously doubt he says the same mantra "we played hard, competed hard" to the players after every game :D

I think he uses the media for his purposes.

Ex Bergenheim.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I stayed off of HFBoards last night since I knew it wouldn't make me feel any better about last night's outcome. While Luongo didn't have his best game, are you guys seriously blaming him as the sole reason that we lost? Without him all season, we would have been out of the race weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm damn proud of this team this season and the jump that they've made from 66 points to probably around 90-92. I absolutely expect playoffs next season. It would be a disappointment if they don't and would likely be Tallon's last season here.

I don't expect much movement in the off-season as Tallon might have to make some crucial trades to include young players that could bite us later on to gain offense. I think guys like Howden and maybe Grimaldi will make the team next season in place of Kopecky and Upshall. Depends on their development.

For now, I'm bummed that we didn't make the playoffs once again and this has been a tough day mentally for me so far, but for the first time on the outside looking in, I have tons of faith for next season. I'll watch the remaining five games and then root for the Islanders in the playoffs. Probably the Wild in the West. Anyone playing the Habs or Bruins as well.

It just killed me last night to see Lucic score that goal. My TV remote survived getting thrown across the room as I was trying to hit his "beautiful" face. Hang in there, guys. A year from now, I think we'll all be in much better moods.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
went to the game last night. brutal loss. i felt so upbeat going in to the third. the building felt more anxious than i can remember. after that 3rd goal, i assumed the "torrey" pose (like everyone else, except those who threw their drink at the tv).

looked back at the replays of the 2 3rd period goals (we were upper deck last row on opposite side). i still don't know how that first one went in. deflection in front or did it hop over lou's stick? the last one was again poor play by our guys but lou should've had it. to his credit, he took responsibility.

won't say anything bad about the guy. he's been great on and off the ice and is probably the biggest reason this season has been such a nice turnaround.

as far as the question of what's different this season compared to prior seasons where we missed the playoffs but "the future looked bright"? for me, it's the fact that we had a bunch of kids actually step up and perform. it's not just one or two. and there are more waiting in the AHL.

what do you guys want Gallant to say?

Soul-crushing loss. Season is over. I'd really like to kill myself.

:laugh:

that's what we're saying. he's gotta keep it together though.

On a side note, Trocheck isn't ready for the NHL yet. Hope he starts next year in the A.

he's trailed off but what's been killing me is the stupid penalties.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I stayed off of HFBoards last night since I knew it wouldn't make me feel any better about last night's outcome. While Luongo didn't have his best game, are you guys seriously blaming him as the sole reason that we lost? Without him all season, we would have been out of the race weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm damn proud of this team this season and the jump that they've made from 66 points to probably around 90-92. I absolutely expect playoffs next season. It would be a disappointment if they don't and would likely be Tallon's last season here.

I don't expect much movement in the off-season as Tallon might have to make some crucial trades to include young players that could bite us later on to gain offense. I think guys like Howden and maybe Grimaldi will make the team next season in place of Kopecky and Upshall. Depends on their development.

For now, I'm bummed that we didn't make the playoffs once again and this has been a tough day mentally for me so far, but for the first time on the outside looking in, I have tons of faith for next season. I'll watch the remaining five games and then root for the Islanders in the playoffs. Probably the Wild in the West. Anyone playing the Habs or Bruins as well.

It just killed me last night to see Lucic score that goal. My TV remote survived getting thrown across the room as I was trying to hit his "beautiful" face. Hang in there, guys. A year from now, I think we'll all be in much better moods.

Same here!

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
went to the game last night. brutal loss. i felt so upbeat going in to the third. the building felt more anxious than i can remember. after that 3rd goal, i assumed the "torrey" pose (like everyone else, except those who threw their drink at the tv).

looked back at the replays of the 2 3rd period goals (we were upper deck last row on opposite side). i still don't know how that first one went in. deflection in front or did it hop over lou's stick? the last one was again poor play by our guys but lou should've had it. to his credit, he took responsibility.

won't say anything bad about the guy. he's been great on and off the ice and is probably the biggest reason this season has been such a nice turnaround.

as far as the question of what's different this season compared to prior seasons where we missed the playoffs but "the future looked bright"? for me, it's the fact that we had a bunch of kids actually step up and perform. it's not just one or two. and there are more waiting in the AHL.

It looked like Luo had his stick way out in front of him, shot along the ice, hit his own stick and deflected over/under hist right arm.

Super weak goal! :cry:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

I don't blame Luo fully for the loss, but yes those last two goal were on him, especially the 2nd one. The 3rd one, I like when the D steps up more and makes a play, hold your own blueline. BUT Luo needs to make that save regardless. 1st goal was primarily on Jagr, with some blame towards Ekblad.

But your right, to blame us being basically eliminated because of Luo is hogwash! He has been our MVP and in the Veszina conversation for a majority of the year.

I don't expect much either. Maybe a deal at the draft for a scorer, although I doubt it will be for a name like Kessel or Sharp. Probably for someone we don't expect, probably a smaller name. If you give our younger guys/Jagr line another year, I can see a definite improvement. The two young kids stepping in for our two 4th line UFA's is there waiting to happen.

It's tough to take. That loss hurt last night. I felt down all last night and today. This year will take a bit to get over. So many times this year we've looked like the better team, but manage to let points slip away. We're not far off. This is right where I expected us to be at the start of the year; competitive until the final games of the season, somewhere in the 7-10th spot.
I'll be cheering for Calgary. I've always had a soft spot for them. Others won't like to hear this, but the Habs in the East. I'm a Canadian boy through & through. If Panthers can't make the playoffs, I'd rather see the Cup come back to Canada.

The nail in the head for me was they guy I'm playing in my $$ Fantasy Hockey League semi-finals has Lucic. Tough pill to swallow. My TV remote was spared, but my head hung low for a while.

I've had a lot of people say nice things to me this year about our Panthers, and get excited with me about the team. For once in quite some time I'm going into the off-season with high expectations for next season. Should be a blast!

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
It definitely sucks and today was worse than last night, but I think overall for me the thing that sucks the most is having to wait another 5-6 months before the season starts up again. It seems like such a long time from now and every year I dread the off-season because it takes forever. I'm really pumped for next season so that makes it even worse

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I've had some time to think about the loss. It was really painful, but the better team won. Luongo carried us for most of the year. He is not an elite goaltender, but he is still very good. I don't believe he is a "choker." Backup goaltender is still a problem because of Luongo's age. He is probably going to need more rest as he gets older.

We can't be a team that plays not to lose. To make the playoffs, we have to be a team that plays to win, which means dominating possession and making it count in terms of goals. To that end, Tallon must sign Jagr, acquire the right forwards to play with Bjugstad, and upgrade the 3rd and 4th line with speed, physicality, and hockey smarts...especially on the wings.

The power play has to be better, PK has to be better.

I like the theoretical idea of Gallant rolling all four lines, but sometimes it bites us in the ass when our fourth line is playing against a top line...at least this year. I'm not sure how the roll lines strategy has helped, because its harder to notice. Maybe a smarter poster has better thoughts on this subject.

Overall, I am happy with this season. The Panthers showed a lot of progress, but improvements need to be made for next year. The East is really competitive and everyone will be jockeying to improve in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad