TSN: Panic time? Penguins staying patient during unexpected slide

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Disclaimer:

Haven't read article yet but be patient as opposed to what?

Seriously. The only realistic thing they could do is fire the coach and that is not going to happen. All there is left to do is wait for guys to get better and hope you aren't in a hole when they do come back.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The only things that changed post TDL are we have Connor Sheary (yuk) and... well... that's about it.

Anyone that seriously thought we were going to win the division or even be Cup favorites after Jake went down were just lying to themselves.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The only things that changed post TDL are we have Connor Sheary (yuk) and... well... that's about it.

Anyone that seriously thought we were going to win the division or even be Cup favorites after Jake went down were just lying to themselves.
I mean we did have the lead, Washington has been horrible lately and we had a bunch of crappy teams coming up.

I thought we had a chance...

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
I mean yeah, I guess they aren't. Those guys won 2 cups, those plugs Crosby, Malkin, and Letang have only 3...JR should have rebuilt the team in the summer of 2015.

HBK was the factor for Pens winning in 16. Kessel was as deserving of the Conn Smythe as Crosby.

92 Pens traded Recchi and John Cullen who formed the "option" line with Stevens and contributed as much as HBK before being dismantled. Pens still win the Cup.

16 Pens likely don't win without HBK. At best they scratch and claw their way to a Cup like in 17.

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
We are in the middle of a 6 game skid, and unless help arrives soon, it would take a real small win streak for CBJ to catch up. We play 2 more games than CBJ in the next 10 days, so like I said, if Dumo and Marino don't come back very soon, the cushion we have is gone. We just need one of them and it should make a huge difference.
If we're in the middle...it's a 12 game skid...
If so, what better time to panic than right now?

Reactions: Tweed and Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
We had a chance like making a hard 8, but thinking we *would* or even *should* was straight up delusional.
Easy to say that in hindsight. I expected something like 7-8 points in this 6 game stretch to close out the month, before it started. We'd be in the lead now had that happened.

Heading into this skid we were 4-0-1 in the previous 5. That includes a dominant win against Toronto right before.

The Penguins have given us good reason to be optimistic most of this season. I expect them to turn it around tonight. Am I delusional? We'll find out.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I didn't buy into the "Pens fans hate Letang" thing until I moved back/started working here. At the water cooler everyone can't wait to get rid of Letang. I brought up Johnson and how he's horrible, and they started acting like Letang was the bigger issue on the pairing. Like, what?

The dislike of many casuals towards Letang is palpable.

I think that's because the Yinz media paints this picture of Jack Johnson being this legit high-end defenseman. Simply don't get it. I think the "casual" fan typically love the players the Yinz media pump, i.e. JJ, ZAR, Adams, Fleury (although there's merit to MAF, just the obsession is simply bizarre - but that topic has been beaten to death), etc.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Panic time? On this forum this is every day which ends in -y. Talk about deja vu.

Reactions: ncm7772

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You know what'll show the team they need to improve? Firing Recchi.

The beatings (of Recht) will continue until morale improves.

Easy to say that in hindsight. I expected something like 7-8 points in this 6 game stretch to close out the month, before it started. We'd be in the lead now had that happened.

Heading into this skid we were 4-0-1 in the previous 5. That includes a dominant win against Toronto right before.

The Penguins have given us good reason to be optimistic most of this season. I expect them to turn it around tonight. Am I delusional? We'll find out.

I’m with you in thinking that this team can still do damage, but even during that stretch there were periods when we were winning because of outstanding individual heroics, not because we were necessarily outplaying the opposition. Again, losing half of our top 4 blueliner a is a rough blow.

And for the record, I’m not saying throw in the towel by any means, just that it was a long shot for them to take and hold the division lead, given the amount of injuries this year.

What they really need is for, at least, Marino to make a timely return. Dumoulin would be even better. And ideal would be both.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I have some concerns, but this team has given me no reason to panic. I have confidence in Sid and Geno to right the ship.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I have some concerns, but this team has given me no reason to panic. I have confidence in Sid and Geno to right the ship.

Well said.

I think it's just more indicative of this board that legit concerns which are well-tempered are pretty much drowned out by the army of random shitposters who pop up in any losing streak and then don't post for weeks when things are going well. :dunno:

Reactions: Shady Machine

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
tumblr_inline_noxas4PYQe1rriau4_500.gif

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
A lot of folks are saying things will get better once Marino and Dumo come back in next game or 2. My concern is, what happens if they come back, but pens keep sliding. I was never one to believe that losing those 2 is reason why pens play went down. They still played more good than bad games up until this 6 game losing streak. Curious to see what folks here say in 5-10 games if pens are still playing sub 500 hockey when 2 mentioned players come back.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
A lot of folks are saying things will get better once Marino and Dumo come back in next game or 2. My concern is, what happens if they come back, but pens keep sliding. I was never one to believe that losing those 2 is reason why pens play went down. They still played more good than bad games up until this 6 game losing streak. Curious to see what folks here say in 5-10 games if pens are still playing sub 500 hockey when 2 mentioned players come back.

I don't know if they will win right away, but having those two back will eventually get them back to being a good hockey team.

My concern is if they lose one of those two again or Letang.

Then things will likely fall to shit again at the worst time.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Tough to say really.
Remember last year we had all our D coming back to start the PO's and it still went to shit.
Atleast they have some time if these D get back and stay back to work it out before the PO's start and it is a better D corps than last season with Super Rookie Marino in the mix.
We'll just have to wait and see what they can come up with...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad