TSN: Panic time? Penguins staying patient during unexpected slide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good article but while it’s nice to preach patience, we don’t have time realistically....will anyone keep saying “don’t panic” if we lose to Ottawa tomorrow?.....

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No choice but to be patient. I genuinely don't see this team being able to do anything until Dumo, and more importantly Marino, are healthy again.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Nah blow it up. Start by trading Letang cuz he’s trash

I didn't buy into the "Pens fans hate Letang" thing until I moved back/started working here. At the water cooler everyone can't wait to get rid of Letang. I brought up Johnson and how he's horrible, and they started acting like Letang was the bigger issue on the pairing. Like, what?

The dislike of many casuals towards Letang is palpable.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Are they going to scratch JJ and Schultz when they come back?

If answer is no, then I'm still panicking.

I wish. Riikola will be one, which drives me insane, as he played better than both of these clowns in limited time he was given. Other will be Ruh.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Are they going to scratch JJ and Schultz when they come back?

If answer is no, then I'm still panicking.
JJ might, Schultz won't.

Likely neither will.

I'd run

Dumo-Letang
Riikola-Marino
JJ-Ruh (and shelter the ever-living shit out of that pairing)

But we'll get

Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
Petts-Schultz

And it'll be a shitshow, but less of a shitshow, because Marino's so damn good he can make JJ look like a competent, AHL-level player as opposed to Scuderi in his twilight years.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The team needs to win enough to make the playoffs, and we have kind of blown our cushion. The only cushion we have left is a game in hand on basically everyone. Getting Marino or Dumoulin back in the lineup in the next few games will be imperative to do that.

We have to have someone slot guys down in the lineup where they belong. That is a big portion of our problem.

Reactions: ncm7772

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
JJ might, Schultz won't.

Likely neither will.

I'd run

Dumo-Letang
Riikola-Marino
JJ-Ruh (and shelter the ever-living shit out of that pairing)

But we'll get

Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
Petts-Schultz

And it'll be a shitshow, but less of a shitshow, because Marino's so damn good he can make JJ look like a competent, AHL-level player as opposed to Scuderi in his twilight years.

Mostly bc he knows how to play a simple game. Dunno of it's ego or old habits being tough to break or what, but Letang can't accept the necessity to dial it back and play in straight lanes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The team needs to win enough to make the playoffs, and we have kind of blown our cushion. The only cushion we have left is a game in hand on basically everyone. Getting Marino or Dumoulin back in the lineup in the next few games will be imperative to do that.

We have to have someone slot guys down in the lineup where they belong. That is a big portion of our problem.

We have three games in hand on CBJ and Carolina is five points behind us with the same games played. It would take a monumental collapse we have yet to see in the Sid and Geno era to miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Peat

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
The '92 Pens struggled in the regular season but plowed through to the Cup after a rough 1st round; but, that team had Mario, Jagr, Francis.
As much as I like Crosby and Malkin, they are not at the level that they can turn it on in the postseason. And Letang is arguably less than Larry Murphy. Murphy had a higher IQ.

From what I've seen of these 5-6 games, it would amaze me to see this team get to the 2nd round. Getting to the Finals would be a very pleasant surprise though I'm not holding my breath on it, especially after last year's fiasco with the Isles.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The '92 Pens struggled in the regular season but plowed through to the Cup after a rough 1st round; but, that team had Mario, Jagr, Francis.
As much as I like Crosby and Malkin, they are not at the level that they can turn it on in the postseason. And Letang is arguably less than Larry Murphy. Murphy had a higher IQ.

From what I've seen of these 5-6 games, it would amaze me to see this team get to the 2nd round. Getting to the Finals would be a very pleasant surprise though I'm not holding my breath on it, especially after last year's fiasco with the Isles.
I mean yeah, I guess they aren't. Those guys won 2 cups, those plugs Crosby, Malkin, and Letang have only 3...JR should have rebuilt the team in the summer of 2015.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Good article on TSN about Pens current 6 game losing streak

Panic time? Pittsburgh Penguins staying patient during unexpected slide - TSN.ca

Not really anything we didnt know, but good read as well.
"Good read" and "TSN" go together like "Steel Toe Boots" and "Kick in the nuts."

I can't recall ever reading anything noteworthy from that site. There's that Seravali guy who literally just points out the obvious and the rest are all just fluff pieces for Canadian teams and the odd obvious thing is obvious, article.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You seem to be really down on Crosby and Malkin. Is 3 Cups not enough for you?

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I didn't buy into the "Pens fans hate Letang" thing until I moved back/started working here. At the water cooler everyone can't wait to get rid of Letang. I brought up Johnson and how he's horrible, and they started acting like Letang was the bigger issue on the pairing. Like, what?

The dislike of many casuals towards Letang is palpable.

He stumbled into the kicker/goaltender "everything is his fault" lane somehow. Think it had to do with that dumb shushing thing in the Flyers series. I don't get why people can't see all the stuff 58 does right, but then it was always odd guys who drive me nuts, not the "stars."

I couldn't stand Sutter after 3 games. It took everyone else 3 seasons to get where I was after 25 minutes of watching the guy. Or Brad Werenka. Even typing that name raises my blood pressure by about 70%, all these years later. All the problems those team had and that was the guy who had me pulling the hair out of my head. Orpik. Of the current crop, Ruhwedel's the guy I want scratched more than anyone.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He stumbled into the kicker/goaltender "everything is his fault" lane somehow. Think it had to do with that dumb shushing thing in the Flyers series. I don't get why people can't see all the stuff 58 does right, but then it was always odd guys who drive me nuts, not the "stars."

I couldn't stand Sutter after 3 games. It took everyone else 3 seasons to get where I was after 25 minutes of watching the guy. Or Brad Werenka. Even typing that name raises my blood pressure by about 70%, all these years later. All the problems those team had and that was the guy who had me pulling the hair out of my head. Orpik. Of the current crop, Ruhwedel's the guy I want scratched more than anyone.

Werenka had a really good Strat-O-Matic card one year. He may have sucked in real life, but he was a beast for me in Strat.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We have three games in hand on CBJ and Carolina is five points behind us with the same games played. It would take a monumental collapse we have yet to see in the Sid and Geno era to miss the playoffs.

We are in the middle of a 6 game skid, and unless help arrives soon, it would take a real small win streak for CBJ to catch up. We play 2 more games than CBJ in the next 10 days, so like I said, if Dumo and Marino don't come back very soon, the cushion we have is gone. We just need one of them and it should make a huge difference.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad