Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think it will be a first and top prospect if they wait until the deadline. Of course it will be a late first so the prospect will be key.

The biggest problem with waiting until the deadline is if the team is still in it how do you explain "selling" your top player to your fanbase and locker room. Perhaps the answer is you both buy and sell.

Different situation since Panarin is much better than both of these guys were at the time, but a MSL for Callahan deal like a few deadlines ago is something that could happen.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Huberdeau or Trocheck from FLA

Toffoli + Vilardi would be a good start.
Those players likely aren't available at the TDL though. If LA is pushing or in a playoff spot Toffoli won't be available and it's possible Vilardi plays well enough that he's no longer available.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Those players likely aren't available at the TDL though. If LA is pushing or in a playoff spot Toffoli won't be available and it's possible Vilardi plays well enough that he's no longer available.

Correct. I'm not even considering waiting until the TDL.

I'm 100% in before/during camp or we've re-signed him. I don't want to even think about the poop show it'll be hanging onto him throughout the season only to trade him during the middle of what is probably a playoff race.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Correct. I'm not even considering waiting until the TDL.

I'm 100% in before/during camp or we've re-signed him. I don't want to even think about the poop show it'll be hanging onto him throughout the season only to trade him during the middle of what is probably a playoff race.
Apparently all Jarmo is getting as offers are picks and prospects.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

From the sounds of it Huberdeau or Trocheck isn't an option now either. Vilardi is also probably not on offer.

If Trocheck is available now I'd happily add to get him. But I'm presuming the returns aren't good enough to justify trading Panarin this summer, especially when it seems like there is at least a decent (>15%) chance he can be signed later.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think if you trade him sooner rather than later to a team that can re-sign him then I think you get much more in return. Now that we landed Riley Nash I'm not sure Kevin Hayes is as attractive a piece but I still think him + Buchnevich + Kravstov would be a great return.
ROR + a 1st would wotk for me.
Some combo of Huberdau or Trochek ++
No idea if the other teams would do these deals but Panarin is a very good player.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I think if you trade him sooner rather than later to a team that can re-sign him then I think you get much more in return. Now that we landed Riley Nash I'm not sure Kevin Hayes is as attractive a piece but I still think him + Buchnevich + Kravstov would be a great return.
ROR + a 1st would wotk for me.
Some combo of Huberdau or Trochek ++
No idea if the other teams would do these deals but Panarin is a very good player.
Scratch ROR. Traded to the Blues. Even if he wasn't, can't see the Sabres trading him for a rental.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
If it is all about location, you just need to find 2 teams where he will sign long term and that want to deal and you should get a decent return. Better to trade him this Summer as you don't want the trade partners to get into a position where the trade no longer makes sense for them. Also, the fan base will understand making the deal now. It will be much tougher to do at the deadline if you are in the playoff race and with the number of teams that make the playoffs that is likely.

Reactions: EspenK and CPTN71

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If the Kings are still interested and offering Toffoli/Pearson, Muzzin. Maybe a pick. Should be considered. I know we don't need Muzzin but is he supposed to be good? If he is, trade him to a team that needs D. Can he get Kadri? Leafs set up front but still needs D.
Toffoli/Pearson, Kadri, pick might be the best they could get.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Also, the fan base will understand making the deal now.
I don't know. I think missing the playoffs this year would be pretty killer and the front office knows it.

I think the CBJ have no actual choice but to keep trudging forward and hope that Panarin changes his mind.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't know. I think missing the playoffs this year would be pretty killer and the front office knows it.

I think the CBJ have no actual choice but to keep trudging forward and hope that Panarin changes his mind.
Like someone else said, I think we'll have a pretty good idea after Jarmo comes back...

And then the long stretch until camp..

Reactions: MoeBartoli

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think most of the league will view a trade for Panarin as a high risk to be a one year rental at this point.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I think most of the league will view a trade for Panarin as a high risk to be a one year rental at this point.

IF he’s traded I’m willing to bet it’s to a team that has an extension lined up. Hence CBJ getting the value some of us have been discussing.

So For Me: the whole rental thing is like the TDL scenario. Simply not considering it because if it goes that way it’s going to be a sad sad day in Columbus, just like it was for the Isles today.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Had to ask Kekalainen whether Tavares’ decision Sunday would prompt him and the front office to re-examine how they’ll handle Panarin over the next 12 months should nothing change. He said: “No, no. It doesn’t change anything. We have our own plan. Every team has their own. (Islanders GM) Lou Lamoriello wasn’t GM with the (Isles) during the whole year. They made a decision. That’s their captain. I have respect for people who make those decisions. I’ll never criticize anybody in a situation like that for what they did.” Kekalainen has listened to trade offers, but he’s hoping Panarin will change his mind and decide to negotiate. Kekalainen and Panarin will meet next month in Europe, and both Kekalainen and Panarin’s agent, Daniel Milstein, have said they expect Panarin to be with the Blue Jackets at the start of the 2018-19 season.

Blue Jackets help ease center concerns with Riley Nash...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Panarin doesn't want to sign trade him to Buffalo for their 3#1's and their 2nd. That would give the Jackets potentially 4, but more realistically 2, chances to win the Hughes lottery.:sarcasm:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Surprise, the Islanders losing Tavares has no effect on how the Jackets handle Panarin. Just like how if he had re-signed it would have had no effect.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
You know what pisses me off about Panarin? We were in Edmonton and he wouldn't sign a CBJ helmet for my kid that half of the team had already signed. My son had on CBJ hat, jersey, sweat pants and shoes. My kid holds the helmet out and Panarin looks at him and shakes his head no and walks off. We flew all the way across the country to see these guys play and that is how he sees his fans. This is what the CBJ front office is working with. He is a hell of a player but he is an ass.

Reactions: mflo77

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You know what pisses me off about Panarin? We were in Edmonton and he wouldn't sign a CBJ helmet for my kid that half of the team had already signed. My son had on CBJ hat, jersey, sweat pants and shoes. My kid holds the helmet out and Panarin looks at him and shakes his head no and walks off. We flew all the way across the country to see these guys play and that is how he sees his fans. This is what the CBJ front office is working with. He is a hell of a player but he is an ass.

Meh. That sucks, but people have bad days. Maybe he just got some terrible personal news. Maybe Torts just ripped him a new a-hole.

These are humans and I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt in these cases.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Meh. That sucks, but people have bad days. Maybe he just got some terrible personal news. Maybe Torts just ripped him a new a-hole.

These are humans and I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt in these cases.

I would like to think so but the "pro" autograph seekers said that Panarin never signs for anyone. I understand not signing for those guys but they said he won't sign for his own fans.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I would like to think so but the "pro" autograph seekers said that Panarin never signs for anyone. I understand not signing for those guys but they said he won't sign for his own fans.

I'm... still OK with that. Must be really f***ing awful to constantly be hounded by folks when you're in public. I would probably do the exact same thing.

Reactions: pete goegan

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Interesting story.

I've seen him give out his actual game stick to fans during warmups.

Personally, a friend of mine has a 10 year old son, who had the idea to hold up a small sign behind the bench at a home game -- that read "could i please have your stick after the game" in Russian -- Panarin came up after the game with his actual game stick and made sure the kid got it, despite several others having their arms reached out.

Either way, I'm sure every player has their reasons for when they don't sign or give something out.. and thats their right.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Interesting story.

I've seen him give out his actual game stick to fans during warmups.

Personally, a friend of mine has a 10 year old son, who had the idea to hold up a small sign behind the bench at a home game -- that read "could i please have your stick after the game" in Russian -- Panarin came up after the game with his actual game stick and made sure the kid got it, despite several others having their arms reached out.

Either way, I'm sure every player has their reasons for when they don't sign or give something out.. and thats their right.

Apparently he is ok with taking pictures, he just won't do autographs. I understand when approached by the pro seekers, but when you have one kid in your team's garb from head to toe, you need to make an exception. There was nobody else there.

It is absolutely their right to sign or not sign, but I think it does say something about you when you don't in a situation like that. After all these guys are not Lebron. They are not hounded like big time celebrities.

Of course these guys are just guys, who are in the spotlight and under a lot of pressure. Trust me if everything that I did was analyzed, then I would have people coming after me left and right. But I do think its relevant to show where his head might be. If its a one time event then no big deal, if its a pattern then it is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad