Panarin/Stone or Hughes/Kakko

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
Getting any of these guys is still a pipe dream, but if the Canucks miss the playoffs, would you rather:

A. Win the 1st or 2nd lottery pick

B. Sign Panarin or Stone in free agency

I'm personally torn since getting Hughes or Kakko would mean that they could sign a defenseman in FA, and have a young winger for EP or BH.
While losing the lottery would let them select one of Byram/Seider/Broberg/York/Soderstrom and then sign Panarin/Stone which could make one of our lines rival the likes of Boston and Colorado (Panarin-Pettersson-Boeser)

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Win the lottery. Cheap contract/team control for probably prime, potentially better player

Or

Most likely a slight overpay for a veteran who is good today but might be substantially worse when our window of contention opens.

Doesn’t seem like a hard choice to me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Panarin and Stone are UFA's on July 1st. The chances of either guy re-signing in VanCity is less than zero. Why would a rebuilding team like the Canucks give up assets for four months of either player?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
There is some semblance of control to sign Panarin/Stone

Winning the lottery is complete luck and a lot of variables that no one controls.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Hughes/Kakko.

Signing a UFA to massive money ends the notion of potential hometown discounts for our young guys moving forward

Reactions: geebaan

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Great players on ELCs are the most valuable thing to have in this league. You can win cups when you have elite players on ELC money. Ideally, both would happen, but if you're choosing one or the other, you have to go Hughes/Kakko for sure.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
here's an additional question to ponder, say we do win the lottery and end with no1 and the Avs end up with no2(OTT) and say......no8(own pick) and they offer both picks for no1, would you do that trade? I have Hughes & Kakko with very little between them, I think I probably would.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Drafting 1/2 doesn't preclude the Canuck's from signing these players, in fact it probably increases their chances (at least for Stone)?

But if I had to pick, drafting 1/2 -- no question. Don't even want to think of the contract's Benning is considering offering this year's UFA crop.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Side note can you imagine if Jim signed either/both big name free agents and didn't address the defense?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
here's an additional question to ponder, say we do win the lottery and end with no1 and the Avs end up with no2(OTT) and say......no8(own pick) and they offer both picks for no1, would you do that trade? I have Hughes & Kakko with very little between them, I think I probably would.

Without a doubt I would do that; I have kakko over Hughes due to the size of Hughes as that worries me. If he fell to #2 I’d take him easily but to ha e the 8thpick and the possibility to move up to maybe 5 for a second or so to get byram is too much to pass up.

Side note can you imagine if Jim signed either/both big name free agents and didn't address the defense?

Defense doesn’t get as big a spalsh as a forward so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Hughes / Kakko gets another player in that 5 year window along with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi etc.
Stone and Panarin aren't old, but it pushes our window forward instead of backwards, also ELC contracts!

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Easily option A.

I don’t want any players signing here that will cost have a higher AAV than 10 million (which is what Stone would likely command). Signing Stone AND Panarin would give us all kinds of future cap complications and would decrease our window.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Hughes/Kakko.

Signing a UFA to massive money ends the notion of potential hometown discounts for our young guys moving forward
Can't see them sacrificing ufa options for some pie in the sky hometown discount.
None are hometown and thats like every team asking their players to take a discount and thats a pipe dream and unrealistic to ask players and would be a reason for them to try ufa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad