• The Russians

Votes: 132 66.7%
  • The Swedes

Votes: 66 33.3%

• Total voters

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
If Tarasenko is 100% i'd take the Russians but who knows how things pan out for him.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Pettersson and Zibanejad just don't have a long enough track record to vote for the Swedes yet.

It's super close. And if Tarasenko can't return to form, then it'll tip the scales. But as it stands now, it's Russia by a hair.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Tanks shoulder is not in a great place which I think swings it in the Swedes favor. I think EP has the potential to be the best player of the group and Landeskog is the perfect player to play next to someone like EP.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If I'm looking for a group to lead my team, I'm assuming we are talking about leading to a Cup. 2/3rd's of the Russians played large roles on Stanley Cup winners, and the other 1/3rd is Panarin...going to give them the edge here, especially if Vova is healthy.

Reactions: Bread4Life

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I’m a Caps fan and Kuzy’s one of my d’avoir it’s players ever, but I picked the Swedes.

The Russians are better for sure if they’re on top of their game, but the Swedes are a lot more consistent.

Panarin is the most consistent of the bunch, Kuznetsov can either play like an All Star or play like dog shit. Tarasenko is always injured.

I’m a bit iffy about Zibanejad, but Pettersson and Landeskog are consistently solid.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tough question. I think ultimately, i lean to the group with two Centers to build around, including the best Center of the bunch...over the two elite wingers. But it's tough. Really close trade-off.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
At their best this is the Russian group pretty easily.

I'd rank the players from best to worst:

Panarin
Kuznetsov/Zibby
Kuznetsov/Zibby
EP
Tarasenko
Landeskog

Prime Kuznetsov down the middle with Panarin and Tarasenko flanking him is pretty scary.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
At their best this is the Russian group pretty easily.

I'd rank the players from best to worst:

Panarin
Kuznetsov/Zibby
Kuznetsov/Zibby
EP
Tarasenko
Landeskog

Prime Kuznetsov down the middle with Panarin and Tarasenko flanking him is pretty scary.
Kuznetsov being ranked over Pettersson is absolutely laughable.

Pettersson is at the tender age of 22 scored at a higher rate and yielded MILES better two/way results. It’s not even remotely close.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Russian's mainly for the weakness of Zibby.

I honestly can't figure out why a guy pacing 60 goals last year is considered a scrub on this board. Sure, he won't repeat that pace but the guy is a great player and was very close to Panarin last year who gets a lot of love here. He ws 1B to Panarin's 1A, yet you'd think he was a scrub despite Panarin getting his due here. It just makes no f***ing sense. He's always been viewed as a scrub and it's like this board just won't admit he's a good player. I don't know what the guy has to do to get his due.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Kuznetsov being ranked over Pettersson is absolutely laughable.

Pettersson is at the tender age of 22 scored at a higher rate and yielded MILES better two/way results. It’s not even remotely close.

Are you blind? The first line of my post said at their best. Prime Kuznetsov was a ppg center that was a playoff monster (32 points in 24 games) the year the Caps won the cup.

EP has never gone ppg over a season and currently has 1 point in 3 games. Even EP's "great playoffs" was nothing compared to what Kuznetsov did.

Will EP one day be better than prime Kuznetsov? Maybe, but with what he's shown right now, that's not better than prime Kuznetsov.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Panarin is the best player here and the Russians have the most talent, but I think having a center that doesn’t play D gives the Russian line an exploitable hole.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Are you blind? The first line of my post said at their best. Prime Kuznetsov was a ppg center that was a playoff monster (32 points in 24 games) the year the Caps won the cup.

EP has never gone ppg over a season and currently has 1 point in 3 games. Even EP's "great playoffs" was nothing compared to what Kuznetsov did.

Will EP one day be better than prime Kuznetsov? Maybe, but with what he's shown right now, that's not better than prime Kuznetsov.
Who the f*** cares about prime Kuznetsov ? The poll isn’t about primes, why on earth would it be?

Also Pettersson last year had a much better two/way impact than Kuznetsov ever has, he was utterly dominant at both ends of the rink. He had the second highest GAR in the league and the Canucks scored at a ~65% rate with him on the ice and 45% rate with him off the ice. In terms of sheer impact, Pettersson last season was better than any season Kuznetsov had. Offensive production and hockey DB stats don’t tell the full
story.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Who the f*** cares about prime Kuznetsov ? The poll isn’t about primes, why on earth would it be?

Also Pettersson last year had a much better two/way impact than Kuznetsov ever has, he was utterly dominant at both ends of the rink. He had the second highest GAR in the league and the Canucks scored at a ~65% rate with him on the ice and 45% rate with him off the ice. In terms of sheer impact, Pettersson last season was better than any season Kuznetsov had. Offensive production and hockey DB stats don’t tell the full
story.

1. Genius...this poll states who would you rather lead your team. Tarasenko is injured right now so obviously it's about prime. EP has yet to go over ppg in a season and has a career FO% of 41%...Who's mans...

2. Those advanced stats are nice, but they don't paint the full picture. You seriously think advanced stats paint the whole truth? lmfao it's to be used along with the eye-test to determine a player's value/production.

3. The Canucks have no player of EP's caliber on offence, so that explains why they score more with him on the ice. Kuznetsov is on a team with other star players like Ovi and Backstrom, his team isn't just based on him scoring. This is a prime example of someone interpreting stats incorrectly just to use them. Any star forward on a team devoid of other star forwards is going to have his team score more with him on the ice as opposed to off.

4. EP has a disproportionate amount of OZ deployment. Around 70% of the time he starts in the opposing zone

You better actually understand stats if you're going to use them lmfao.

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
1. Genius...this poll states who would you rather lead your team. Tarasenko is injured right now so obviously it's about prime. EP has yet to go over ppg in a season and has a career FO% of 41%...Who's mans...

2. Those advanced stats are nice, but they don't paint the full picture. You seriously think advanced stats paint the whole truth? lmfao it's to be used along with the eye-test to determine a player's value/production.

3. The Canucks have no player of EP's caliber on offence, so that explains why they score more with him on the ice. Kuznetsov is on a team with other star players like Ovi and Backstrom, his team isn't just based on him scoring. This is a prime example of someone interpreting stats incorrectly just to use them. Any star forward on a team devoid of other star forwards is going to have his team score more with him on the ice as opposed to off.

4. EP has a disproportionate amount of OZ deployment. Around 70% of the time he starts in the opposing zone

You better actually understand stats if you're going to use them lmfao.

You’re using face off % and discouraging stats like GF % and GAR is absolutely baffling and shows how laughable your argument is.

I showcased a statistic to outline just how valuable Pettersosn is to the Canucks when he was on the ice the Canucks scored at an absolutely elite rate and when he was off the ice the Canucks scored at among the worst rates in the league. This showcases how valuable Pettersson is to the team, a far and away best player on a team that made it to game 7 of the second round. A team that couldn’t even break even without him on the ice.

Kuznetsov at his peak has a slight PPG advantage while playing with the best goal scorer of all time getting quality even strength and power play minutes with him. The slight PPG difference in a vastly better situation doesn’t negate the absolutely massive difference in every other metric of analysis. Pettersson had a miles better CF% WAR GAR GF% ETC that absolutely overshadows a slight PPG difference.

To show you’re a casual when it comes to advanced stats you brought up the last line, studies have concluded that offensive zone starts have little to no correlation on advanced analytics as a majority of shifts are started in the neutral zone. Prime Toews was getting ~65% offensive zone starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad