Panarin/Kucherov vs Matthews/Eichel

winger vs center

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not sure if people are missing the point of the poll or something, but the idea isn't to compare the wingers to the centers, it's to pick between prospects. And an elite C prospect definitely is more valuable.

Reactions: slimbob8

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not sure if people are missing the point of the poll or something, but the idea isn't to compare the wingers to the centers, it's to pick between prospects. And an elite C prospect definitely is more valuable.

Yeah, but if a winger looks like a little bit more elite, than a center?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Current ability:

Eichel
Panarin
Matthews
Kucherov

Value:

Eichel
Matthews
Panarin
Kucherov

Edge to the American centers over the Russian wingers.

Reactions: Nabrules

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
This is tough. I think the wingers are on average better players, but the centers are definitely the more important position, and also started their careers better (Panarin was in the KHL and Kuch took until D+4 to be a top player). Decided to break down how I see their abilities in various categories.

Here's how I would evaluate them in a few ways:

Goalscoring (don't think there is too much debate here):
Matthews
Kucherov
Eichel
Panarin

Playmaking:
Kucherov
Eichel / Panarin (both are good, I lean Panarin but I also watch Eichel the least of any players here)
Matthews (He ain't paid to pass, especially when those passes would be to worse shooters)

Defense (debated a lot here.... Matthews has been awesome this year but isn't as proven as Panarin, went with the center):
Matthews
Panarin
Eichel / Kuch (Lean Eichel, but Kuch has been good this year and in some of his early seasons)

Physicality:
lol none of them, Kuch plays gritty but is small, Matthews is a tank but doesn't play like it. Would prob go Panarin here

Contract Value:
Eichel
Kucherov
Matthews (might get flamed for this)
Panarin

Overall value (IMO):
Kucherov
Matthews
Panarin
Eichel

for that last rank, I tried to ignore ages a bit, and look at the value they have provided so far and what they are projected to provide in the future. Kuch has by far provided the most value to date, but Matthews I see as providing the most value going forward due to age

Reactions: slimbob8

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Right now, very, very close. I think I would say Panarin is slightly better than Eichel and same with Kucherov over Matthews.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
If it's a Kucherov level winger, them. If it's Panarin give me the center. I would be amazed if Eichel or Matthews ever put up a peak season like Kuch last year but I'm sure they'll both be able to match what Panarin is doing now in the very near future. Eichel is doing amazingly basically with no help and Matthews is pacing for just under 100 points but mid to high 50's in goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad