Panarin headed for another playoff no show?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has 1 point in 3 games. His linemates have 8 total points.

He had a great regular season that made people slightly forget his playoff no shows the last two years.

His team is still succeeding, but 1 point in 3 games after his playoff history is a bad look.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
He has like 32 xgf% too. Which... is in line with his usual playoff shot metrics, which are abysmal.

If he doesn't pick it up in the coming rounds it'll be a really bad look. NYR isn't winning the Cup with Panarin as a passenger, hard to see it happening.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Same amount as Rempe and Reaves, he's probably just in awe of their greatness.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
unless you're new to playoff hockey, you know games aren't just a little faster and more physical....teams have a hell of a lot more detail in their game plan. when your template for trying to win games already revolves around finding a way to win a slogfest, low event game...the biggest thing you focus on to accomplish that is going to be defending the 120 pt player on the other team while making sure the game doesn't open up.

if you know anything about hockey and been watching, you know there's nothing to complain about with panarin's play. some people just live for finding something to be negative about. a team has 3 wins in 3 games with offensive contributions most of the roster. good start, right? no, they didn't win all 3 10-0 and their leading scorer doesn't have enough points so after 3 games lets draw conclusions that are egregiously ignorant to any understanding of hockey. if you're miserable and only look for the negative, nothing will ever be enough to appreciate it.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Panarin's PPG drops from 1.16 to 0.79 in the POs. That's the equivalent of going from 95 points to 64 points in the regular season.

For reference, Stamkos who is considered one of the most disappointing postseason players of his generation, drops from a 1.05 to a 0.79. at least Stamkos spent more time in the low scoring first half of the 2010s than Panarin did.

Everyone talks about the leafs core four, but statistically speaking, Panarin is the worst playoff performer among today's star players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Right, because he plays defense. He can play well without scoring. Panarin’s only value is on offense, so.. it’s a problem.

What is a problem for me is losing. You can have another set of values though if you want. So far though the Rangers haven't lost so I'm not looking around for someone to blame on our team when it hasn't even lost a game yet. To do do seems frankly ridiculous to me.

I get that some people aren't happy because we're not blowing out the Capitals every night so far. I don't think the Caps are as good of a team as the Rangers. It's obvious to me just from the regular season standings that the Rangers were a much better team this year. Also that better teams getting knocked out by lesser teams has happened often enough in the past and the Caps do check hard and play a system like team defense pretty well and Lindgren is a good goalie. I don't disrespect them but it doesn't look like their season is going to last much longer. The point to me is to win. As long as the Rangers do it's mission accomplished.... it doesn't matter to me that much in any given game whether it's one more goal or two or three.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
The Caps have sent everyone at Panarin. Game 2 Oshie just followed him around. That's the goal. Limit him at all costs. Thanks to that, everyone else is performing. Rangers are doing that to Ovi. No one else is helping. Team vs individual.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
What is a problem for me is losing. You can have another set of values though if you want. So far though the Rangers haven't lost so I'm not looking around for someone to blame on our team when it hasn't even lost a game yet. To do do seems frankly ridiculous to me.

I get that some people aren't happy because we're not blowing out the Capitals every night so far. I don't think the Caps are as good of a team as the Rangers. It's obvious to me just from the regular season standings that the Rangers were a much better team this year. Also that better teams getting knocked out by lesser teams has happened often enough in the past and the Caps do check hard and play a system like team defense pretty well and Lindgren is a good goalie. I don't disrespect them but it doesn't look like their season is going to last much longer. The point to me is to win. As long as the Rangers do it's mission accomplished.... it doesn't matter to me that much in any given game whether it's one more goal or two or three.

Ok, but this thread is about Panarin’s individual performance, which has been ass. I don’t have different values, I’m just discussing the actual topic at hand instead of somehow conflating it with the entire team’s performance.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Panarin's PPG drops from 1.16 to 0.79 in the POs. That's the equivalent of going from 95 points to 64 points in the regular season.

For reference, Stamkos who is considered one of the most disappointing postseason players of his generation, drops from a 1.05 to a 0.79. at least Stamkos spent more time in the low scoring first half of the 2010s than Panarin did.

Everyone talks about the leafs core four, but statistically speaking, Panarin is the worst playoff performer among today's star players.
Congrats. You managed to involve the Leafs in a subject matter that was entirely and should be entirely devoid of the Leafs.

Since you decided to inject the Leafs into the conversation... One team is up 3-0 (the rangers) the other is about to have their 9 millionth first round exit (hint hint, they fall off trees). The series is probably already over in a clean sweep if the Bruins just stuck with Swayman. :cheers:

On the topic of Panarin, the Caps have thrown everything at stopping Panarin. This is why Trocheck has had such a monster series with 5 points in 3 games. He's not receiving the same coverage he does and has more time and space because of all the attention going to Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad