Panarin headed for another playoff no show?

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Panarin is fantastic on the powerplay and this doesn't change in the playoffs. That being said, over 61 games of playoff hockey he scores at a 4th liner rate in 5vs5 and has abysmal underlying metrics. 43 xgf% and 44 gf%.

He had one 5vs5 point against the Caps (by far the worst team in the playoffs), but also had only 37 xgf%. It's not like he did anything to disprove the narrative that he struggles in the playoffs.
He had 3 points in a 4 game series sweep. And he’s also probably the main reason Troch has 6 points because the caps were hounding Panarin and it gave Troch and Laf space.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I try to not comment in threads I make, but here’s my honest opinion.

I’m extremely happy at the response from him yesterday. This wasn’t a reverse jinx thread, but if it functions as one, I’ll take it. Before the third period goal I was upset once again with how he played. I guess he had an assist on the Trocheck goal, but I didn’t even realize it. His line did absolutely nothing in this game. They’ve been quieter than usual all playoffs.

I don’t think we’re looking at last season’s performance in the playoffs (2 points in 7 games), but it could be closer to the year before (16 points in 20 games). I think we can probably win with 2022 playoffs Panarin, but we have a much better chance if we get 2023-24 regular season Panarin.

Are other teams keying in more on him? People say this a lot. I don’t know if this is a real thing. It’s not only him. Lafreniere was quiet in that series also. I think Trocheck is focusing a lot on defense, so that could hurt also. We need that line to get going more.

Panarin is a big part of us being successful, and we need to see him equal Fox and Shestyorkin in this playoffs. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to do that. Kucherov was able to equal Hedman and Vasilevskiy the years that Tampa won it. It’s not only star goalies and defenseman that can be difference makers in the playoffs. Skill wingers can be that too. We shouldn’t accept Panarin has more difficulty in the playoffs as a thing. He needs to find a way to adjust to whatever has given him trouble. He’s one of the best players in the world. No reason he can’t figure that out.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I try to not comment in threads I make, but here’s my honest opinion.

I’m extremely happy at the response from him yesterday. This wasn’t a reverse jinx thread, but if it functions as one, I’ll take it. Before the third period goal I was upset once again with how he played. I guess he had an assist on the Trocheck goal, but I didn’t even realize it. His line did absolutely nothing in this game. They’ve been quieter than usual all playoffs.

I don’t think we’re looking at last season’s performance in the playoffs (2 points in 7 games), but it could be closer to the year before (16 points in 20 games). I think we can probably win with 2022 playoffs Panarin, but we have a much better chance if we get 2023-24 regular season Panarin.

Are other teams keying in more on him? People say this a lot. I don’t know if this is a real thing. It’s not only him. Lafreniere was quiet in that series also. I think Trocheck is focusing a lot on defense, so that could hurt also. We need that line to get going more.

Panarin is a big part of us being successful, and we need to see him equal Fox and Shestyorkin in this playoffs. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to do that. Kucherov was able to equal Hedman and Vasilevskiy the years that Tampa won it. It’s not only star goalies and defenseman that can be difference makers in the playoffs. Skill wingers can be that too. We shouldn’t accept Panarin has more difficulty in the playoffs as a thing. He needs to find a way to adjust to whatever has given him trouble. He’s one of the best players in the world. No reason he can’t figure that out.
He was really good in games 1 and 4 (3 points and 11 shots in those two games). And was quiet in games 2 and 3 (0 points and 0 shots). Its hard for him to find space every single night in playoffs. Teams will play him tight

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was really good in games 1 and 4 (3 points and 11 shots in those two games). And was quiet in games 2 and 3 (0 points and 0 shots). Its hard for him to find space every single night in playoffs. Teams will play him tight
Right, I think he’s performing a lot better than it might be showing. This isn’t last year where he was a detriment to the team, but he’s also paid to put up the points. He’s tied 44th this year in playoff scoring. He shouldn’t have the same number as Goodrow. Hopefully the next series it starts showing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad