Confirmed with Link: Palmieri Added to Team USA World Cup Roster

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
tkqq9Fh.jpg

Hell yes.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Should have been there originally.

But we really needed Abda jndicator or whoever the clown is. And all dem grinders too.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
happy for him, deserved for sure

keep your head up and on a swivel kyle

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still shocked Kessel didn't make it.

Maybe he's declined the invitation?

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
From what I've read they wanted someone who could play more of a checking role since they were trying to replace Callahan. Makes sense why they chose Kyle over Phil in that role

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
There's two possibilities on why Kessel isn't on the team. They either don't think his style of play fits the mold of the team or Kessel declined because he wants to rest before the season starts. I really don't blame him if this is the case.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
From what I've read they wanted someone who could play more of a checking role since they were trying to replace Callahan. Makes sense why they chose Kyle over Phil in that role
I just meant from the beginning Kessel probably should have went. I'd rather Kessel than many of these stupid and redundant grinders that Deano and David "GM since 1982 and not once built a cup finalist team" Poile seem to love.
There's two possibilities on why Kessel isn't on the team. They either don't think his style of play fits the mold of the team or Kessel declined because he wants to rest before the season starts. I really don't blame him if this is the case.
I hope he did decline.

Some of the invites are brutal, just like some of the weird choice for the Sochi Olympic team back in 2014.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I just meant from the beginning Kessel probably should have went. I'd rather Kessel than many of these stupid and redundant grinders that Deano and David "GM since 1982 and not once built a cup finalist team" Poile seem to love.

I hope he did decline.

Some of the invites are brutal, just like some of the weird choice for the Sochi Olympic team back in 2014.

Eh. I don't know.

For tournaments like these, you are building a team, not an all-star team. Kessel is better than a good chunk of forwards on that roster, but he isn't going to play the same role Abdelkader or Palmieiri or Dubinsky or Callahan would play on that team.

When you likely have Oshie, Wheeler, and Pavelski as your likely RWs in a scoring role, where does Kessel play? He's a top-six or bust player. It seems like they are going for the all-around guys over the guy with a very limited, but effective skill set.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey

I hope he did decline.

Exactly. Kunitz was only on Canada at Sochi because of his chemistry with Crosby. They passed over so many players that are better than Kunitz.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eh. I don't know.

For tournaments like these, you are building a team, not an all-star team. Kessel is better than a good chunk of forwards on that roster, but he isn't going to play the same role Abdelkader or Palmieiri or Dubinsky or Callahan would play on that team.

When you likely have Oshie, Wheeler, and Pavelski as your likely RWs in a scoring role, where does Kessel play? He's a top-six or bust player. It seems like they are going for the all-around guys over the guy with a very limited, but effective skill set.
I'd take Kessel definitely over Oshie and Wheeler. I remember last time it was a big deal because Bobby Ryan wasn't picked. Though I think Kessel is better than him.
Exactly. Kunitz was only on Canada at Sochi because of his chemistry with Crosby. They passed over so many players that are better than Kunitz.

I remember that, Orpik on Team USA annoyed me too.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd take Kessel definitely over Oshie and Wheeler. I remember last time it was a big deal because Bobby Ryan wasn't picked. Though I think Kessel is better than him.

I don't think people appreciate how good Wheeler is.

Oshie vs Kessel is debatable. Oshie brings a better all-around game, more physical play, and he was clutch in Sochi during the shootouts.

The biggest problem with Kessel is he is as I like to call it a "niche player." He thrives in a very specific situation with linemates that compliment his style. When you add Kessel, you have to build the team partly around him or you sacrifice part of his effectiveness. That's not the case with the other guys.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think people appreciate how good Wheeler is.

Oshie vs Kessel is debatable. Oshie brings a better all-around game, more physical play, and he was clutch in Sochi during the shootouts.

The biggest problem with Kessel is he is as I like to call it a "niche player." He thrives in a very specific situation with linemates that compliment his style. When you add Kessel, you have to build the team partly around him or you sacrifice part of his effectiveness. That's not the case with the other guys.

Wheeler is fine, I would have picked him too.

But I just don't think much of Oshie. He's not bad, but I wouldn't pick him over Kessel.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kessel had hand surgery, guys. Otherwise I'm sure he would've been the guy.

That makes sense.

Although I think the rosters came out before the playoffs ended, but perhaps he declined the invitation back then because he knew he'd need surgery once the playoffs ended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad