Recalled/Assigned: Pakarinen recalled and Miller sent down

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
"Needs to assert himself more, play with more confidence and with a bit more of an edge on defence. Must always make sure he’s on the right side of his man in the d-zone."

“Last game Leon played hard, did the things we asked him to do without the puck. He’s always been able to make plays but he has to work on his awareness,†said Fleming, who has been told to play Draisaitl only in the middle. “He was a little better last game (a loss to San Jose Barracuda). Hopefully it’s a step in the right direction.â€

Doesn't say he's been poor but all three articles you linked say that he isn't ready and need to improve basic parts of his game in order to be a reliable NHL.

Nobody who saw those games would say that Draisaitl is ready. So far he's been mediocre (at best) at an AHL level.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
Eberle can't come back soon enough. With no offense to Miller, Klinkhammer, Pakarinen, Hendricks etc....

If we're going to keep slotting in 4th liners/AHLers on the top line, the top line will continue to struggle to score goals.

If McLellan is deadset on getting a grinding 3rd player for that line Chiarelli is going to need to go out there and make a trade for a legit NHLer. Because these guys just don't cut it.
If Chia were to target someone I would be looking at Abdelkader. Big guy, good motor, good hands, like the way he plays

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I dunno, it's a whatever move for me. I've not been as big a fan of Pakarinen as others seem to be here. I don't see much of a ceiling with him. He hits a little, skates a little and did have that 1 decent goal in his 17 games on the big club last year. IMO he's a decent to good AHLer but a marginal NHLer.

Pakarinen had no linemates whatsoever last season. There is half decent depth on this team today for him to adjust and perform at the NHL level. He has the hockey i.q no doubt. He can skate at this level no doubt.

If he is not in the top six his role isn't purely to put pucks in the net either. He is capable of contributing definitely and you yourself will witness that but you can't expect a goal or point per game out of him playing on the bottom six either. Bottom six is bottom six at the end of the day.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Pakarinen had no linemates whatsoever last season. There is half decent depth on this team today for him to adjust and perform at the NHL level. He has the hockey i.q no doubt. He can skate at this level no doubt.

If he is not in the top six his role isn't purely to put pucks in the net either. He is capable of contributing definitely and you yourself will witness that but you can't expect a goal or point per game out of him playing on the bottom six either. Bottom six is bottom six at the end of the day.

I bet he'll score some goals at even strength with Hall and RNH setting him up. He also had more hits in 17 games last year than Purcell has had in his last 200+ games which IMO makes him a better fit in the bottom six than Teddy. When Ebs is healthy it will be interesting to hear who gets sent down.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's worth a shot but what has Pakarinen done at the NHL level to deserve all this praise? Tenacious on the forecheck? Fast? Hitter? I saw none of this in his short stint last season. He was a complete ghost. I was far more impressed with Miller to be honest and even he was just ok.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Hurry back Eberle. Lets get these plugs (with all due respect to Hendricks and Klink) off the top line and even more importantly, Purcell off the 1st unit PP.

At least they aren't calling up Draisaitl. I see no point in yo yoing him back and forth between the NHL and AHL. Let him continue to smooth out his game in the AHL playing prime minutes.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Pakarinen being a better skater and playing with more energy makes me think he'd be a better complement to our top group of forwards than Draisaitl at the moment. IMO he is more NHL ready than Draisaitl. I don't think he has anywhere near Draisaitl's potential, but he is more ready right now. If Draisaitl was a better skater, he'd absolutely be ready in my mind. The fact that he isn't near as good a skater as our other top-end forwards leads me to believe that he'd have a hard time generating much at this point though.

I don't get where this constant knocking of Draisaitl's skating comes from. It's weird. The guy was literally the fastest skater during the skills contest last year. Like, faster than Hall. Now, he may not have the explosive first step of Hall or the crazy edge work of Nuge or McDavid, but yeesh. He gets around the ice just fine.

Oct 15, 2008
Seems odd coming from a guy who has said for years that the Oilers need more physicality in the top 6. He is not replacing Eberle as much as trying to add the best compliment to Hall and RNH based on the pieces that are available. They dont need a playmaker to carry the puck and set them up, they need a digger to get in the corners and win puck battles and crash the net for rebounds.

We shall see. They arent creating chances or doing much offensively. Not sure how a mucker is going to help there. Poo is a good compliment to Nuge and Ebs. But we only have one poo.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Love this move. No point bringing Leon up this early. Let him get going down there. He's shown nothing at the AHL level that deserves a call up. Not saying Pakarinen has but he's just here for a cup of coffee during injuries and will be sent back.

Agreed.

One point in four games with Bakersfield isn't very flattering. Wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he spent the entire year there. No need to rush him we have enough scoring and talent.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Meh...no big deal one way or the other..

Miller is not an NHL player and showed just that last game.

Pakarinen is also 'not' an NHL player. Aside from some good games at training camp last season, he did nothing in his call-ups and was either invisible or like a 'chicken with it's head cut off'.
We'll see if there's anything there this time but I'm not holding my breath.

As for LD, he's not ready. He needs to stay in the AHL until such time as he forces his way up..which is something most people have been clamoring about for years.

Someone made a statement that they don't know where he'll play C because of Lander already on 3rd? Really? Lander is more a 4th line player than 3rd so no worries there. When LD is ready, he can assume the 3rd line role immediately..ala Staal in Pitts. If he plays 'too good' for the 3rd, it gives the Oil some options going forward..whether to move LD or RNH or do something else entirely.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Meh...no big deal one way or the other..

Miller is not an NHL player and showed just that last game.

Pakarinen is also 'not' an NHL player. Aside from some good games at training camp last season, he did nothing in his call-ups and was either invisible or like a 'chicken with it's head cut off'.
We'll see if there's anything there this time but I'm not holding my breath.

As for LD, he's not ready. He needs to stay in the AHL until such time as he forces his way up..which is something most people have been clamoring about for years.

Someone made a statement that they don't know where he'll play C because of Lander already on 3rd? Really? Lander is more a 4th line player than 3rd so no worries there. When LD is ready, he can assume the 3rd line role immediately..ala Staal in Pitts. If he plays 'too good' for the 3rd, it gives the Oil some options going forward..whether to move LD or RNH or do something else entirely.

Hall-RNH-Lander
Pou-ConYak
Korpi-Drai-Purse
Pak/Hedi-Thetestu-Klink/Gazdic

This is what I'd like to see right now if they deemed Drai ready, I think Lander would be an excellent fit on that top line, he has a good shot on his of wing and can take important faceoffs then shift over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad