Padres unveil new brown and gold uniforms

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Why can't this idiotic joke of a franchise just go back to the Gwynn, Brown, Hoffman era jerseys. The 1998 ones were the best they've had.

yeah i always liked those pinstripe home jerseys they wore in the late 90s-early 00s

aamo179.jpg

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
But even then I was a little skeptical when the consensus seemed to be that there weren't any bluechips but a lot of guys who were solid across the board.

this i think is a pretty key thing. the padres have almost always been a warm glass of milk in terms of interest. any interesting player spends time there and is gone when it comes time to pay him. they're beige. they always have been.

their leading homerun hitter in club history is nate colbert. 163 from 1969-74. they haven't found someone to hit 164 homers in almost half a century!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Padres have been to the postseason I think 5 times.

In their unfortunate history, they were walloped by some of best teams of all time in the world series.
The 84 Tigers and the 98 Yankees.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's too bad they didn't go all in with the '98 club. Reportedly they could have gotten Randy Johnson (who went to Houston) if they had been willing to include Ruben Rivera.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It's too bad they didn't go all in with the '98 club. Reportedly they could have gotten Randy Johnson (who went to Houston) if they had been willing to include Ruben Rivera.

lol that is hilariously awful if true

fun fact: ruben rivera is still playing in the mx league

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah, it bums me out whenever I think about the 1998 team. Then I look up the Rivera's baserunning blooper to cheer me up a little bit. Obviously hard to say how much of a difference Johnson would have made after being swept, but the Padres did have late leads in two of the games.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anthony Gwynn (aka Tony Gwynn Jr) does the radio broadcast for the Padres and it's uncanny how much he sounds like his dad.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
teams took so many chances on him hoping he could hit a fraction like his dad too lol

Ironically he helped knock the Padres out of the playoff hunt in 2007 while playing for the Brewers. Padres probably would have taken him with the 41st pick in 2003 but the Brewers took him 39th.

Giants vs. Padres - Game Recap - May 21, 2009 - ESPN

I remember being in attendance for Anthony Gwynn's debut game for the Padres. We had seats behind the dugout and I yelled out a mildly sarcastic "HEY EVERYBODY, IT'S TONY GWYNN JR" but he worked a good at bat and drew a walk to extend the inning and he scored the eventual game winning run in the bottom of the 9th. David Eckstein then had a "clutch" hit by pitch to tie the game (I thought it was a walkoff HBP until I looked up the boxscore, but I'm probably just picturing Homer against Shelbyville).

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I would take the Braves farm system over the Padres, I know Padres is deeper but I think they have some guys near the top of the list with high bust potential and the Braves might have the best group of pitching prospects in history.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I would take the Braves farm system over the Padres, I know Padres is deeper but I think they have some guys near the top of the list with high bust potential and the Braves might have the best group of pitching prospects in history.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. With the Braves, it's nice having the top-end pitching, but outside of 2 or 3 good position player prospects, it's all pitching. Not many hitting prospects to get excited about.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Brown & gold would make me incredibly happy about a baseball team that I am otherwise utterly indifferent about. I love that color scheme and MLB needs more teams to embrace unique identities.

For a team I don't care about, the Padres have been all over the damn board when it comes to their branding for me...the brown & gold era swinging Padre? One of the coolest looks in baseball history. Almost everything that came after it until Petco opened? Utter garbage in my eyes (and apparently only my eyes...I absolutely despised the yacht club logo/branding)....and then a whole lot of uninspired mediocrity in the Petco era.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
As long as it's not an abomination, I'll probably splurge on a Tatis jersey. Then again, a throwback Rickey Henderson might be fun too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad