NFL: Packers fired Mike McCarthy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
ahhh yes, the super bowls argument. which is actually irrelevant here considering rodgers has a ring

you do realize that brady was a starting QB for 7 seasons before rodgers took over for favre right? obviously he's going to have more TD passes and yards than rodgers.

No, it's not irrelevant. It shows that Brady has had continued team success and as the starting QB playing at an exceptional level he has had a major part of that success.

And yes, Brady started way before Rodgers. That's why in my post I gave Rodgers the chance that if he is able to keep up his pace and win a couple Super Bowls we have a conversation. I am not saying Rodgers has zero chance to be the best QB ever - he certainly does. I am saying as things stand today he's not in the discussion with Brady.

Brady isnt even the best and I HATE the SB argument. Almost al of their SB's have been one possesion games, often they were lucky and had the ball last or in the case of Seattle they screw up on the goal line. It is a team game, the defense stole the Seattle SB. The first 2 or 3 the defense is why they won beause the offense was not at all good. Only one of the 3 did they even score 30 and that was because in the 2nd half the game with the Panthers randomly broke out from a defensive show to a slugfest.

It's not just about what happened in the Super Bowls, it's about helping put your team in position to be in AFC championship games and Super Bowls. Brady has consistently done that year after year for two decades.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
No, it's not irrelevant. It shows that Brady has had continued team success and as the starting QB playing at an exceptional level he has had a major part of that success.

And yes, Brady started way before Rodgers. That's why in my post I gave Rodgers the chance that if he is able to keep up his pace and win a couple Super Bowls we have a conversation. I am not saying Rodgers has zero chance to be the best QB ever - he certainly does. I am saying as things stand today he's not in the discussion with Brady.

no credit to belichick for those 5 titles?

he might have something to do with the pats success. maybe just a little bit?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
no credit to belichick for those 5 titles?

he might have something to do with the pats success. maybe just a little bit?

Did anyone say otherwise? Of course he gets credit. Everyone involved gets some credit, that's how things work.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
how could anyone say rodgers is nowhere near the conversation for best QB ever?

334 TDs with only 79 picks. 103.4 career QBR which is #1 by a good amount. you could easily make an argument that rodgers is the greatest

Passer rating, not QBR.

Rodgers is the poster child for why QBR was created. Especially over the last couple of years, he kind of broke the passer rating system, by refusing to throw INT's at the expense of taking sacks. I mentioned this somewhere else but statistically something like only 14% of NFL drives where the QB is sacked result in a score of any kind.

So when somebody takes a ton of sacks it becomes a significant knock against his efficiency. And we're not talking about David Carr just getting beat half to death because his o-line is terrible....Packers have had some good o-line groups but one of Rodgers' particular quirks is that he holds on to the ball a lot and tries to make big plays and the result of that is he takes sacks.

I think he is in the top 10 convo definitely and probably top 5, assuming he rebounds starting next season and finishes his career strong. But I think he really has to get one more ring and compile some numbers that put him a lot higher in the record books to get into a legitimate GOAT discussion.

Reactions: Bocephus86 and m9

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd give him top 5 easily. He doesn't have the the resume of someone like Montana or sigh, Brady. He doesn't quite have the eye catching stats like Manning either. Still probably the most consistent QB to ever play the game.

Top 5 you can argue, but top 10 is absolutely unquestionable.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

It's not just about what happened in the Super Bowls, it's about helping put your team in position to be in AFC championship games and Super Bowls. Brady has consistently done that year after year for two decades.

Remember when Bledsoe won the first AFC title game in Pittsburgh? I know it's not talked about hardly ever but he did make a huge case with that to earn his keep. I was surprised he didn't start that SB against the Rams. I mean there was a moment where a true decision had to be made. It wasnt an easy one. Bledsoe did alright after that vwhen he went to Buffalo despite how much inconsistency the organization had. Logically his life span was short but I don't think anybody saw the drastic change to the league coming that came as oppose to QBs. It truly wasnt until 07 when Brady started really balling out and each year for the last decade its only gotten worse in how much they protect the QB year to year.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Remember when Bledsoe won the first AFC title game in Pittsburgh? I know it's not talked about hardly ever but he did make a huge case with that to earn his keep. I was surprised he didn't start that SB against the Rams. I mean there was a moment where a true decision had to be made. It wasnt an easy one. Bledsoe did alright after that vwhen he went to Buffalo despite how much inconsistency the organization had. Logically his life span was short but I don't think anybody saw the drastic change to the league coming that came as oppose to QBs. It truly wasnt until 07 when Brady started really balling out and each year for the last decade its only gotten worse in how much they protect the QB year to year.

lol @ questioning why the pats didn't start bledsoe in the SB when brady carried them the entire season after he took over

i'm pretty sure belichick would have been fired just for saying he was considering that

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I believe Brady had been hurt the week before and there was talk about why you might not want to play him when he was significantly less than 100% considering they had a very good backup.

I was at that Super Bowl, running stats and copy for the radio broadcast. My first one

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I believe Brady had been hurt the week before and there was talk about why you might not want to play him when he was significantly less than 100% considering they had a very good backup.

I was at that Super Bowl, running stats and copy for the radio broadcast. My first one

oh yeah there was definitely talk of it. i remember reading an article where bledsoe said he was disappointed by the decision to go with brady (lol)

but belichick had already made it clear the organization was moving on from bledsoe. there was zero chance he was going to start him in the SB if brady was healthy enough to play

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
oh yeah there was definitely talk of it. i remember reading an article where bledsoe said he was disappointed by the decision to go with brady (lol)

but belichick had already made it clear the organization was moving on from bledsoe. there was zero chance he was going to start him in the SB if brady was healthy enough to play

I mean to be fair I don't expect a starting QB to say something besides he's disappointed to lose his job but still.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
lol @ questioning why the pats didn't start bledsoe in the SB when brady carried them the entire season after he took over

i'm pretty sure belichick would have been fired just for saying he was considering that

I'm not sure he carried them, that D the first 3 goes was pretty good. Also the division like it is now was in chaos. Buffalo had just got rid of everyone after losing a rigged wild card game the year before, the Jets were in turmoil after Bellichick left and Miami still figured out nothing post Marino. A lot of this run has been beneficiated by a piss poor division. Every few years one of the teams has a decent year but can never sustain it.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'll put it this way. I don't think Rodgers makes it on the Mount Rushmore of QBs

Montana-Manning-Brady-Brees IMO But you could argue Elway, Marino and Young... I'm looking at Rodgers after that

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I'll put it this way. I don't think Rodgers makes it on the Mount Rushmore of QBs

Montana-Manning-Brady-Brees IMO But you could argue Elway, Marino and Young... I'm looking at Rodgers after that

34, I'm with u, that Rodgers is not Rushmore (top 4).. at least not yet. He still has years in the league. I consider it premature to coronate Rodgers.. And I believe at least two of his current peers will ultimately have better careers completed (Brady & Brees)..

But I think your list is short-sighted.. a lot of these lists infer there were no great passers before 1980.. Guys like Otto Graham have superior championship pedigrees to Rodgers, P. Manning, Marino.. and a QB like Baugh (compared to Elway & Montana) was equally, or more dominant, than his contemporaries..
Unitas is frequently overlooked, etc.
Peace

Reactions: fin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad