Value of: Pacioretty to AZ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Arizona trades for Pacioretty at the draft, they'll likely be asking the Habs to discuss with the Pacioretty's agent prior to a deal taking place to make sure he signs an extension the following week.

Using some of those pieces I'd rework the trade.

Mtl:
Domi, Max (Established player that still has the potential to turn into a solid top 6 W)
Merkley, Nick (A-level prospect as he's a former 1st rounder + at a PPG in the AHL in his first season as a C)
Minnesota's 2018 2nd rd pick - 54th overall (late 2nd rounder)
Arizona's 2018 3rd rd pick - 64th overall

Arizona:
Pacioretty, Max
Plus one of (Carr, Daniel / Byron, Paul / Schlemko, David / Hawkey, Hayden / Earliest 2018 4th rd pick)

But IMO, Arizona shouldn't go after those kinds of moves, I know they want to contend, but they have solid prospects on the back end, and some pieces up front. They just need to improve at their G position and use that early pick this year and maybe another one next year + add in Dylan Strome making it to the big league and then they'll be contenders.

Although, them being a floor team, they could easily fit in Pacioretty's extension and they would greatly benefit from a PKer that puts in 35 G a season for the next 3-4 years.
Pacioretty’s extension is going to be a nightmare. He’ll be 31 when the deal starts and will want 6-7 years at 6-7 million. He’ll be a boat anchor contract before it’s half done. James Neal, MaxPac, JvR and Simmonds are all going to get big, fat, long-term contracts that will end up traded with retention, or bought out by the time they’re 35 years old.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Habs aready have their two boat anchors in Weber and Price, they can't afford to saddle their cap room with a third onerous long-term deal. Pacioretty will get traded, no question about it.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If Arizona trades for Pacioretty at the draft, they'll likely be asking the Habs to discuss with the Pacioretty's agent prior to a deal taking place to make sure he signs an extension the following week.

Using some of those pieces I'd rework the trade.

Mtl:
Domi, Max (Established player that still has the potential to turn into a solid top 6 W)
Merkley, Nick (A-level prospect as he's a former 1st rounder + at a PPG in the AHL in his first season as a C)
Minnesota's 2018 2nd rd pick - 54th overall (late 2nd rounder)
Arizona's 2018 3rd rd pick - 64th overall

Arizona:
Pacioretty, Max
Plus one of (Carr, Daniel / Byron, Paul / Schlemko, David / Hawkey, Hayden / Earliest 2018 4th rd pick)

But IMO, Arizona shouldn't go after those kinds of moves, I know they want to contend, but they have solid prospects on the back end, and some pieces up front. They just need to improve at their G position and use that early pick this year and maybe another one next year + add in Dylan Strome making it to the big league and then they'll be contenders.

Although, them being a floor team, they could easily fit in Pacioretty's extension and they would greatly benefit from a PKer that puts in 35 G a season for the next 3-4 years.
NO NO NO Since you guys won't be giving up your 1st i don;t see a trade happening between our teams unless your willing to trade something of value for Patches.Your offer doesn't have that.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
i like Pacioretty, i hope he does return to form,then you can resign him

I’m personally ready to move on from him and his streaky play. He’s been on a sweetheart deal and will likely be looking to get compensated by us.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I’m personally ready to move on from him and his streaky play. He’s been on a sweetheart deal and will likely be looking to get compensated by us.
i think it has more to do with losing markov and not having anyone to get him the puck when and where he likes it than anything else. weber is more of a drive from the point guy than a distributor which is totally different than what markov and Subban were. when you change something like that, so critical to his success its no wonder his scoring declined

they shouldnt blame patches for something he had nothing to do with

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
i think it has more to do with losing markov and not having anyone to get him the puck when and where he likes it than anything else. weber is more of a drive from the point guy than a distributor which is totally different than what markov and Subban were. when you change something like that, so critical to his success its no wonder his scoring declined

Regardless, it's best to trade him for different assets.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Regardless, it's best to trade him for different assets.
maybe it is I didnt say it wasnt. im just saying its important to recognize the cause, otherwise you may make continual bad decisions because you failed to accurately assess the problem.

you dont replace the engine of a brand new car, just because fail to use premium gasoline and use low octane instead

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017

You're right. Patches gets way more grief than he should. It's remarkable the goal totals he's managed to put up with the lousy centers he's had over the years.

Losing Markov was bad enough. They also let Radulov walk. The poor play of the Habs sits squarely on the shoulders of management, yet year in and year out Patches is the scapegoat.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He’s always been streaky. Gets hot and scores goals in bunches. Then goes cold. The losses of Subban and Markov certainly hurt our transition game, Markov more because he was always elite at transitioning the puck. But Pacioretty needs to take some responsibility himself. He wasn’t good by any stretch of the imagination. Paying a ton on another 30+ contract is not wise for us to do. It’s time to move on from him, as a player and a captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad