Proposal: Pacioretty for Puljujarvi

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
except it affects his value today which is what we are talking about

that contract is signed, it is an obligation to whatever team acquires price whethether it starts today or 5 years in the future

you dont seem to understand this

it isnt a proposal its a valid obligation
Any player that has a contract ending [Tavares example] effects one's value. It necessarily doesn't make that player to have negative value. When your one of the best you get paid like one of the best. I guess you believe that Doughty and Karlsson also have negative value since we know they will be looking for huge contracts probably in the 12 mil $ range.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Any player that has a contract ending [Tavares example] effects one's value. It necessarily doesn't make that player to have negative value. When your one of the best you get paid like one of the best. I guess you believe that Doughty and Karlsson also have negative value since we know they will be looking for huge contracts probably in the 12 mil $ range.
until they do, there's no obligation. once they do, they very well could be, its depends on the cost and term. im a huge Tavares fan, but if he signed an 8 year $120 million dollar deal id say he had negative value too.

its all relative.

Goalies in general dont get paid like forwards do and price is right up there with Kane and Toews

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
until they do, there's no obligation. once they do, they very well could be, its depends on the cost and term. im a huge Tavares fan, but if he signed an 8 year $120 million dollar deal id say he had negative value too.

its all relative.

Goalies in general dont get paid like forwards do and price is right up there with Kane and Toews
Kane and Toews contracts were dealt out 3 yrs ago when the cap was 71.4 .Today the cap is 75 mil. Next yr when Price contract kicks in the cap is expected to be 80 mil.
Kane and Toews getting 10.5 each in a 71.4 cap world is a big difference to Price getting 10,5 in a 80 mil cap world. You can't even compare the two.But nice try though.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Likely...maybe be 1m. But not the kind of term they gave Price.

That’s the killer...it’s the term.

24 year old Price....sure, 8 years at 10.5 would have made sense.

This sums it up for me. He is a great goalie but I would not give up a 7th round pick for him because of the term/age associated with the contract.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Let's stop with the Pacioretty to Edmonton stuff, it won't happen, Max will be traded to the States if he is traded at all.

For those who think PoolParty gets you Pacioretty, just stop... please stop...
PoolParty and RNH is what it would take. It's just not gonna happen.

Max leads the league for game winning goals in the past 5 years for Christ sake... Realistic hockey fans know he has a very high value and teams with elite centers know he would be aconsistant 40+ goal player for manyyears to come... This is pathetic.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Let's stop with the Pacioretty to Edmonton stuff, it won't happen, Max will be traded to the States if he is traded at all.

For those who think PoolParty gets you Pacioretty, just stop... please stop...
PoolParty and RNH is what it would take. It's just not gonna happen.

Max leads the league for game winning goals in the past 5 years for Christ sake... Realistic hockey fans know he has a very high value and teams with elite centers know he would be aconsistant 40+ goal player for manyyears to come... This is pathetic.
Jesse on pace for 33 goals :sarcasm:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The Habs look to be turning things around, and make a push for the playoffs, Then anything can happen. Why not just keep him?

If there is a team that's willing to pay the cost, it will likely be a team that's in a firm contending position and that will have hopes -- and at least the potential cap space -- to extend him beyond next season. I think the Habs keep him until the TDL, then see where they're at in the standings, and weigh the offers. Oilers certainly aren't a good fit for a trade to happen today or probably any time soon. Oilers are just in a bad spot to pay top dollar for him. It would be stupid, and everyone here would crucify Chia for doing it; let's be honest about that.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It could be built in his value, depends how a teems sees it, he can also be re flipped next season..
The thing is Edmonton wouldn't be able to afford Patches next contract anyways. With McDavid (12.5), Draisaitl (8.5), RNH (6), Lucic (6, NMC) already they won't have room to pay Patches the 7-8M+ that he's going to command. For that reason Jesse is already more valuable to the team. Even if Jesse doesn't ever become what Patches is (I will be surprised if Jesses not at minimum a 50-60P winger) he has 6 more RFA years after this and can be a cost controlled piece to go with our high paid centres.

There's absolutely no incentive for Edmonton to move a guy like Puljujarvi.

Reactions: spaghtti

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
The thing is Edmonton wouldn't be able to afford Patches next contract anyways. With McDavid (12.5), Draisaitl (8.5), RNH (6), Lucic (6, NMC) already they won't have room to pay Patches the 7-8M+ that he's going to command. For that reason Jesse is already more valuable to the team. Even if Jesse doesn't ever become what Patches is (I will be surprised if Jesses not at minimum a 50-60P winger) he has 6 more RFA years after this and can be a cost controlled piece to go with our high paid centres.

The whole trade idea makes no sense.
No trade to be made here.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He might get 4 years at 8/9, but not 8 years at 10.5.

Is anyone getting those kinds of deals until they're just short of 40?

Has their ever been a 38 year old elite goalie?...maybe 3 or 4 in the history of the NHL.

Bob will probably want the same as Price (who certainly inflated the market price for goalies) and what's CBJ going to do? They can't let him walk, right? He might get a little less than Price though because of the lower taxes (Montreal has the highest in the league iirc) but you can be sure he's not gonna take a huge discount just to save his team from cap trouble.

Franchise goalies don't get traded anyway. Montreal would be stupid to do that and so would the team trading for him.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This I find somewhat mind blowing.

Patches is like JVR with an extra year....how is that worth more than pool party.

Patches might even be worth less than JVR...MP is off to a terrible start. If he’s not on your top line, with top Centers and PP minutes, he’s not that great.

At least Kessel is his own offence. MP, not the same type of player.

I think MP’s stats for the last few years are just a touch inflated...there’s no one else, so he gets 100% if the prime minutes.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think MP is as valuable as the numbers make him look...declining, 1.5 years till ufa.

The Habs most valuable trade chip was sergachev...and they shipped him for Drouin.

Have you ever seen Patches play? He certainly is able to create his own offence, guys like DD and Danault are far from good enough playmakers for a top goalscorer yet there he goes and puts up those numbers. Patch is a powerful straightforward goalscorer who can generate offense anywhere in the lineup. He's on a down year now so far though, you're right about that, but such prolific goalscorers don't come at cheap price and wouldn't you think saying he's declining, at age 29, a couple of months removed from a 35g season, is a little premature?

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013

This is 100% accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad