Proposal: Pacioretty for Puljujarvi

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Pacioretty just isn't a fit on the currently constructed habs, but he'd be a perfect fit on McDavids wing. The toughest part of this trade for Montreal would be dealing with the backlash of trading their captain mid season, but with Weber on the roster you can easily just pin the "C" on him.

Do the Oilers do it?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Short sighted move for the Oilers. Even with the cap expected to rise, they likely need to shed some salary. Re-signing Pacioretty would be really difficult, and they'd lose a cost controlled winger with a lot of potential.

Reactions: THall4

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Pacioretty doesn't seem to really care about his salary in all honesty. I'm not sure he would do a sign and trade, but I imagine if he and McDavid connect, the Oilers will have zero problem resigning him in the offseason to a reasonable deal (perhaps 6.7m to honor his number 67?)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Pacioretty for Puljujarvi + 1st (top 5 protected) + 2nd

Puljujarvi has been struggling in the ahl and nhl this year
Him alone is no where near worth Pacioretty

I don't know if the oilers have the capspace to do it

Reactions: Qwijibo

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pacioretty for Puljujarvi + 1st (top 5 protected) + 2nd

Puljujarvi has been struggling in the ahl and nhl this year
Him alone is no where near worth Pacioretty

I don't know if the oilers have the capspace to do it

Pacioretty is not worth that. Even if we did make the playoffs with him history has shown he'd disappear at that point.

And Puljujarvi has not struggled. He's a volume shooter that needs better than Brad Malone as his C.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Puljujarvi hasn’t shown he can produce in the NHL yet. Until he does, a deal around him and Patches is a non-starter unless RNH is included.

Also, in all honesty, if Puljujarvi breaks out I see no reasons for the Oilers to make the trade. So for me, this basis is just a bad fit for both teams.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Pacioretty is not worth that. Even if we did make the playoffs with him history has shown he'd disappear at that point.

And Puljujarvi has not struggled. He's a volume shooter that needs better than Brad Malone as his C.

Then what is Pacioretty worth?

Puljujarvi has 5 pts in 10 ahl games, and 2 pts in 9 nhl games.
For a 4th overall pick of 2 drafts ago, I'd call that struggling

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The deal is Pacioretty for Puljujarvi straight up. You can also assume the Oilers are able to lock up Pacioretty in the offseason in the 6-7 million dollar range on a 6-7 year term.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The deal is Pacioretty for Puljujarvi straight up. You can also assume the Oilers are able to lock up Pacioretty in the offseason in the 6-7 million dollar range on a 6-7 year term.

If Pacioretty asking price is 6x7.. He’s NOT going ANYWHERE. I’m 100% positive on that

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Then what is Pacioretty worth?

Puljujarvi has 5 pts in 10 ahl games, and 2 pts in 9 nhl games.
For a 4th overall pick of 2 drafts ago, I'd call that struggling

To Edmonton he's not worth much. I'd suggest trying to rob the injury riddled 28th place team in the league of futures is destined for failure. Edmonton is an awful landing spot and is not going to pay what you want.

He's also not having a very good year which will hurt his value.

I'd say maybe try St Louis. They have some nice futures and should go for it.

Reactions: Skobel24

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Pacioretty doesn't seem to really care about his salary in all honesty. I'm not sure he would do a sign and trade, but I imagine if he and McDavid connect, the Oilers will have zero problem resigning him in the offseason to a reasonable deal (perhaps 6.7m to honor his number 67?)

Not everybody does what Crosby does

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
To Edmonton he's not worth much. I'd suggest trying to rob the injury riddled 28th place team in the league of futures is destined for failure. Edmonton is an awful landing spot and is not going to pay what you want.

He's also not having a very good year which will hurt his value.

I'd say maybe try St Louis. They have some nice futures and should go for it.

What Pacioretty is worth and what the oiler's GM would be willing to give are two different things
Pacioretty is at least worst Puljujarvi + 1st (top 5 protected) + 2nd.

Heck, Pacioretty is arguably worth more than Duchene, and Duchene got a much better package than that.

Whether oilers do that or not is a different matter.
If Chiarelli is feeling the heat I can totally see him doing that.

Also, his value shouldn't be hurt by his awful start (1 pt in his first 8 games, 15 pts in his next 19 games) considering he is a known quantity (also one of the most consistent players in the nhl) and is known to have bad start to seasons.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Although he doesn't strike me as the type to go for bank, his past 6 years have been highly productive, just on those merits he'd command 7m+. he's hit 60+ points in the last 5 full seasons and 30+ goals in all of them.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If MTL is targetting anyone from Edmonton it should be RNH who's a center and has looked good with Drouin.

Reactions: nyhabsfan

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
EDM isn't interested in giving up on Pulju, who still has big potential and has looked very good since being recalled, for a guy who would basically be a rental they can't afford to keep after next season. Makes no sense. This same trade has already been tried a week or two ago here, and we said the same thing. It's not a good fit for the Oilers at all. If we had cap space to re-sign him, then maybe. If we were higher up in the standings, then maybe. But those two things alone take us out of the "Patches Sweepstakes" picture. That's the reality. Try another team for once.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Doesn't make sense for Edmonton. Adding 4 million will guarantee Maroon's departure and likely RNH's as well with no cap going back. Oilers really need Puljujarvi's ELC. The only way Patches can be traded to the Oilers is if a big salary goes back. That leaves RNH who frankly will not be moved until absolutely needed, or Lucic who has a NTC.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He's playing with Danault and Shaw, and while the line is playing great, he's not a fit with them or with Drouin.

Pacioretty is absolutely a fit with Danault, they complement each other very well. The Patches-Drouin experiment was a disaster but he scored 30+ goals playing with Danault last year, just needs to find his groove. He's shooting at his all time low percentage and should start scoring on a better pace as the season goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad