Proposal: Pacioretty for 1st-round pick (Ekblad)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah and then the salary cap would laugh at you.

Well, yeah, if the trade is taken at face value. But if the team has Phaneuf, they don't need one of Markov/Emelin. Heck I'd even say they wouldn't need either.

Anyways, that trade will never happen.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
How many #1 overall picks have busted in the last 30 years?

Patrick Stefan, Alexandre Daigle, Joe Murphy, Bryan Berard?

Three of those players played over 600 games and they're the worst of the bunch.

DiPietro? Maybe.. but that's not really a fair assessment all things considered. He was a good goalie until the injuries hit and you can't predict that.

Chris Phillips isn't your typical 1st overall pick, neither is Roman Hamrlik.. but both guys had amazing NHL careers. Hamrlik played the 34th most games in NHL history and has an Olympic gold medal. Phillips has played the 140th most games, and has a chance to maybe reach the Top-50.

While this coming draft has several nice player available, none of them have the certainty of achieving the level of performance that Pacioretty has achieved. Unless you have a very strong feeling about one player and your crystal ball is better than everyone else's, it's very dangerous to trade an existing, performing, elite player for an uncertain future one. There are some exceptions, but , in this writer's opinion, none of them are available in this draft. And while all the factors that militate against trading Pacioretty that others have raised ( Pacioretty's contract, Montreal's current ascendancy, etc.) have validity, the uncertainty of trading for a future unproven asset, should be the determining factor.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
How many #1 overall picks have busted in the last 30 years?

Patrick Stefan, Alexandre Daigle, Joe Murphy, Bryan Berard?

Three of those players played over 600 games and they're the worst of the bunch.

DiPietro? Maybe.. but that's not really a fair assessment all things considered. He was a good goalie until the injuries hit and you can't predict that.

Chris Phillips isn't your typical 1st overall pick, neither is Roman Hamrlik.. but both guys had amazing NHL careers. Hamrlik played the 34th most games in NHL history and has an Olympic gold medal. Phillips has played the 140th most games, and has a chance to maybe reach the Top-50.

I was talking more about 1st round picks in general. Most of them fade into oblivion.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Pacioretty at $4.5mil/year...for:
2014-2015
2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019.

Good bargain (''major keeper'' contract).

Would take a lot to get Pacioretty!
(and I'd take 29 goals instead of 39 during the regular season IF he scored more goals during the playoffs...he can do it...I'd wait for another 2 more playoff seasons to see how he does).

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This year's first overall? Nope.

For Mcdavid? Hmm..

I would say McDavid would cost Patches + and I think I'd still do it at that cost especially after seeing what a guy like McKinnon has done in his rookie year.

He's going to be really good, really, really good and cheaper than Patches is now.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I'd do Patches for 1st pick in a heart beat, he is a perimeter player that can exploit weak defenses. Against better teams he becomes ineffective and I don't believe will ever be a player that fights through advisory.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
This team cant score as it is.how is trading our only pure goal scorer gonna improve the team? What a dumb thread.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What a stupid idea..
These dumb reactions are exactly why some players find Mtl too nuts to handle.
39 goal season, exceed expectations, get 2 wins from Stanley Cup final, end result? Let's trade our best goal scorer. Oh, did I mention he arguably has one of the best contracts in the NHL?

Put the freaking pipe down.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
What a stupid idea..
These dumb reactions are exactly why some players find Mtl too nuts to handle.
39 goal season, exceed expectations, get 2 wins from Stanley Cup final, end result? Let's trade our best goal scorer. Oh, did I mention he arguably has one of the best contracts in the NHL?

Put the freaking pipe down.

There are 30 teams, at least 30 hockey boards, and all of them have crazy ideas out there for all to see. I doubt anyone gives a crap about this thread.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There are 30 teams, at least 30 hockey boards, and all of them have crazy ideas out there for all to see. I doubt anyone gives a crap about this thread.

I obviously wasn't being literal. For sure, there are crazy ideas from crazy fans all over. We probably have the biggest fan base, which means more nuts fans, and more nuts ideas, and more stupid criticism.

However, clearly, MaxPac doesn't like to hear about one of the best goal scorers in history, a Mtl legend, simply bash him. Neither did the organization I suspect, seeing how Lafleur downplayed his words the following day. So ya, I'm sure some people do give a crap.
Wouldn't you do your own research of how critical people/media can be when looking at a job offer here?? I certainly would.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pacioretty at $4.5mil/year...for:
2014-2015
2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019.

Good bargain (''major keeper'' contract).

Would take a lot to get Pacioretty!
(and I'd take 29 goals instead of 39 during the regular season IF he scored more goals during the playoffs...he can do it...I'd wait for another 2 more playoff seasons to see how he does).

Bingo. Same with Bourque. I'd hang onto both, big time. And sign Vanek too.

Halifaxhab*

What about

Bourque - he really showed up for these playoffs, scored 8G, 11pts. Truly produced. A real playoff warrior.
For
1st OA

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Just think about this. MaxPac is making less than Clarkson for the next 5 seasons. So no don't trade him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I would say McDavid would cost Patches + and I think I'd still do it at that cost especially after seeing what a guy like McKinnon has done in his rookie year.

He's going to be really good, really, really good and cheaper than Patches is now.

It is almost a certainty that no general manager will be willing to trade either the first or second overall picks in the 2015 draft and lose a chance of drafting either McDavid or Eichel. Since general managers are by their nature very conservative in their approach to team building, and securing either of these elite prospects would involve many assets, a trade involving either of these picks is highly unlikely. To gauge what it would cost to acquire either pick one only has to review what the Flyers paid for Lindros and what Montreal was prepared to pay. Also, it must be remembered that the Lindros trade was an anomaly since it was forced on the Nordiques by Lindros' refusal to play in Quebec. Those dynamics don't exist today. General managers will take the safe route and avoid either overpaying or under selling in a transaction that will be closely analyzed and which could mean immediate termination if it fails to work out.

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Pacioretty has one more playoff year to redeem himself before he must be expelled from the bowels of this team, preferably before he joins the "over 30 club". One first round pick is not ambitious enough,

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Man, talk about the 'Shiny New Toy' fixation. What is it with some of you? Why is it that our best player is always the next one?

Some people wanted to trade Max last November after a slow start. Turned out to be a dumb idea then, just as it's a dumb idea now. You simply don't walk away from a 39-goal scorer -- our team's only sniper -- to satisfy an itch for what's behind door number 1.

Halifaxhab*

Man, talk about the 'Shiny New Toy' fixation. What is it with some of you? Why is it that our best player is always the next one?

Some people wanted to trade Max last November after a slow start. Turned out to be a dumb idea then, just as it's a dumb idea now. You simply don't walk away from a 39-goal scorer -- our team's only sniper -- to satisfy an itch for what's behind door number 1.

Wait until the 2030 draft.....my son is a speed demon.....he DOMINATES timbits.

Halifaxhab*

I'll give you Subban and a muffin to be named later.

Wait... do I have to help him with homework? Have enough of that with my own kids...

Yes. He needs a real education to fall back on if he gets hurt.....Don't want him in the military like me when hockey isn't an option anymore.

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
I dont understand why we should NOT trade Paciorretty ? Im not saying we need to shop him for garbage but most of the proposal including maxpac are with some legit top player coming back. you dont trade maxpac for a 1st overall ? I would gadly have made this trade last year to have Mackinnon....Now i dont know much about Ekblad but if Timmins and his team tell MB he's going to be close to Pronger level , than I hope MB make this trade.

personally , I would rather trade maxpac for Drouin

Halifaxhab*

I dont understand why we should NOT trade Paciorretty ? Im not saying we need to shop him for garbage but most of the proposal including maxpac are with some legit top player coming back. you dont trade maxpac for a 1st overall ? I would gadly have made this trade last year to have Mackinnon....Now i dont know much about Ekblad but if Timmins and his team tell MB he's going to be close to Pronger level , than I hope MB make this trade.

personally , I would rather trade maxpac for Drouin

Unless its an immediate upgrade......no, you Don't trade him. Drouin is not that. He's going to take a good 3 nhl seasons to hit his stride. He needs to step up his off ice work ethic though.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pacioretty has one more playoff year to redeem himself before he must be expelled from the bowels of this team, preferably before he joins the "over 30 club". One first round pick is not ambitious enough,

Agree. This was his first real test. Now he knows. He's cheap, we could even keep him around as a second liner (assuming we are able to put together a real first line without him.......).

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Unless its an immediate upgrade......no, you Don't trade him. Drouin is not that. He's going to take a good 3 nhl seasons to hit his stride. He needs to step up his off ice work ethic though.

Have a little patience, Drouin will be someone enjoyable to watch in the meantime even if he takes a few years to hit full stride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad