Proposal: Pacioretty for 1st-round pick (Ekblad)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Obviously if someone offered Malkin we'd trade him, but the point is that Pacioretty should only be traded for a massive overpayment and we shouldn't actively be trying to trade him.

Neither do I. At least we agree on something.

i would listen but i wouldnt trade him straight up for any pick in this draft

Same here.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Ekblad would take years to get into the NHL? :biglaugh:

Wow...

Again, Ekblad isn't going to take years to develop.

PS. I wouldn't trade for Ekbald either. He's going to be great, but not worth the price-tag.

Do you know how many prospects they have said this same plethora of cliches about?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Do you know how many prospects they have said this same plethora of cliches about?
How many #1 overall picks have busted in the last 30 years?

Patrick Stefan, Alexandre Daigle, Joe Murphy, Bryan Berard?

Three of those players played over 600 games and they're the worst of the bunch.

DiPietro? Maybe.. but that's not really a fair assessment all things considered. He was a good goalie until the injuries hit and you can't predict that.

Chris Phillips isn't your typical 1st overall pick, neither is Roman Hamrlik.. but both guys had amazing NHL careers. Hamrlik played the 34th most games in NHL history and has an Olympic gold medal. Phillips has played the 140th most games, and has a chance to maybe reach the Top-50.

pine*

Especially in the new scouting era, the 1st overall pick is the closest thing to a sure thing. Just take a look at the recent 1st overall picks...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Especially in the new scouting era, the 1st overall pick is the closest thing to a sure thing. Just take a look at the recent 1st overall picks...
Exactly.

The last bad #1 overall pick was Stefan (DiPietro if you think he wasn't going to be good).

I'm sure some people would say Fleury was a bad pick, but he's won a Stanley Cup (and was awesome when it mattered), so I doubt they consider it bad.

Yakupov is the only pick people don't know about yet and my guess is that he'll be pretty great, especially if he gets out of Edmonton - although I felt Ryan Murray should have been the #1 overall that year anyway.

Ekblad is the consensus #1 and all things point to him being a great NHL player.

Halifaxhab*

Exactly.

The last bad #1 overall pick was Stefan (DiPietro if you think he wasn't going to be good).

I'm sure some people would say Fleury was a bad pick, but he's won a Stanley Cup (and was awesome when it mattered), so I doubt they consider it bad.

Yakupov is the only pick people don't know about yet and my guess is that he'll be pretty great, especially if he gets out of Edmonton - although I felt Ryan Murray should have been the #1 overall that year anyway.

Ekblad is the consensus #1 and all things point to him being a great NHL player.

The problem isn't value, its timing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only first overall draft pick I would consider dealing MaxPac's for, is next year's -- of course, you'd have to add to MaxPac, but the chances of that pick failing are low. We're talking about a generational talent.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
You'd have to give more than Pacioretty for the #1.

Team's overvalue picks, even in weak draft years.

Look at Toronto's apparent offer.

8th overall, Nazem Kadri, and Dion Phaneuf.

Montreal would have to do something like;

Pacioretty, Tinordi, 26th.

Kadri and F'nuff don't excite me (in fact, F'nuff would be a white elephant) and the 8th in 2014 will be a chancy pick. I'd be surprised if that offer is accepted.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Trade away a 39G scoring Winger who is only paid $4,500,000
For a guy who hasn't played a game in the NHL.
Excellent!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Trade away a 39G scoring Winger who is only paid $4,500,000
For a guy who hasn't played a game in the NHL.
Excellent!
Probably one of the dumbest ways to look at things, no offence.

Again, I wouldn't do this trade - but this type of statement means you wouldn't have traded Pacioretty (current) for Crosby, MacKinnon, or Stamkos either.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Right cause Ekblad will never be more than a #4D. Ekblad battles is a warrior on the ice plays with passion and has the tools to become the best Dman in the world.

I'll take the side less travelled Guy is right you don't win with guys that don't give it their all leading you. Max is suppose to be our best forward but is virtually invisible most of the time. He's easily the most overrated Hab on this team. If someone offers you something worth while for him this summer you jump on it.

Patches isn't the type of player that will be scoring every game, he'll disappear for a few games then go on a hot streak during a string of games. If he can score 39 goals at 4.5m/year then there's no way the habs should let go of him. For all we know he was just having a cold streak during the playoffs like we saw him have at the beginning of the season...that's the type of players a lot of goal scorers are including patches, we've always known that about him.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Probably one of the dumbest ways to look at things, no offence.

Again, I wouldn't do this trade - but this type of statement means you wouldn't have traded Pacioretty (current) for Crosby, MacKinnon, or Stamkos either.

Ekblad isnt even in the same league as those guys as a prospect and all of them have proven themselves. You should use drouin & Mcdavid as examples

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ekblad isnt even in the same league as those guys as a prospect and all of them have proven themselves. You should use drouin & Mcdavid as examples
It doesn't matter who I used. He stated that you don't trade 39 goal scorers for guys who haven't played a game in the NHL.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Patches just had his first playoff run and granted he should have been better but I would give him another shot at the post season before I trade him away. It will be interesting to see if Bergevin has any plans to ship dd out of town, that is where I would be concentrating. If he goes into next year with pretty much the same team as this year, the results will be the same. Lets not get crazy and trade max away.

Halifaxhab*

Patches just had his first playoff run and granted he should have been better but I would give him another shot at the post season before I trade him away. It will be interesting to see if Bergevin has any plans to ship dd out of town, that is where I would be concentrating. If he goes into next year with pretty much the same team as this year, the results will be the same. Lets not get crazy and trade max away.

For all the dissapeared in the playoffs talk, he scored. 6ppg, two series clinching goals, and was only one of 18 people that dissapeared in the Rangers series.

For his first real playoff run he did ok.....but for a 1st line LW, we need more.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
What really blows my mind is the ''he disappears for few games than get on a hot streak''. That's the case for any player not named Crosby, particularly players labelled ''goal scorer''. If goal scorers werent streaky, a 39 goals season would not be enough to get in the top5. Anyway, we are still lacking high end talent at forward position in my opinion. For the first overall in 2015...now that's another debate.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
This year's first overall? Nope.

For Mcdavid? Hmm..

I'd do it for McDavid. Pacioretty is amazing but I wouldn't even think twice when doing that trade, McDavid looks like he can be a top-5 player in the league for years to come.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
So we trade a 39 goal scorer who will probably hit 30 in most years from here on out, for a guy who might not even pan out to be a number 1 guy.

39 goal scorers do not grow on trees.

His contract is amazing as well.

Trading Pacioretty for a 1st is a long term lateral move at best, people around here overrate draft picks so much it's not even funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad