News Article: Pacioretty: "Everyone has a shelf life" in Montreal

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don’t think it would’ve stopped Roy from being dealt. Serge Savard even said Roy thought he was bigger than the team at that point & took up too much space in the locker room which is why he had the Fiset + Nolan deal worked up.

Also, recall reading St Patrick & his agent (was it Lupien?) had devised a plan to set the wheels in motion for a trade.

If calmer heads had prevailed led by Corey, Habs would’ve got a better deal for Roy…but he was getting dealt that year no matter what
Even that Fiset and Nolan deal would have been a better deal for the team at the time. More experienced goalie until Theodore and Nolan would have been the big power forward that could score the team had been trying but failing to draft at the time.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Wickenheiser was the top rated draft eligible player that season.
Thanks for noting that. I just tried to look that up and although I can’t find any Central Scouting draft rankings for that year I did find a few articles on Wickenheiser that said he was indeed ranked first.

My memory of that 1980 draft was mostly about how Wickenheiser was that big centre the team sorely lacked. So yeah, it appears he was both BPA and filled a team need.

BTW, some of the articles talked about how Canadiens management mishandled him (apparently coach Ruel didn’t like him after wanting to draft Denis Savard) by sitting him in the press box for basically half of his rookie season (while Savard had a good rookie season that actually started with him scoring 2 goals for Chicago in his first game at the Forum). So I guess the history repeating itself is more about how a top draft pick centre failed to live up to expectations in Montreal, arguably a self-inflicted failure by Habs management in both cases.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Mr.Missionary is correct...everyone has a shelf life, even in Vegas. I'm guessing he will find that out sooner than later.

Depends on whether you have a flamboyant, egotistical GM who doesn't like being upstaged and a deplorable media who enjoy destroying players more than watching them. Everyone has to retire sometime, not everyone gets run out of town.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Even that Fiset and Nolan deal would have been a better deal for the team at the time. More experienced goalie until Theodore and Nolan would have been the big power forward that could score the team had been trying but failing to draft at the time.

Fiset was bad, but I tend to agree with you.

Nolan was the best player out of anything else the habs ended up getting, and they would have retained Keane too.

The habs probably envisioned Thibault to become the best player in the package coming back to Montreal, but it didn't work out that way.

In retrospect, you take the nolan deal, and expedite the goalie weakness through the trade/FA market.

However, we also have to remember the timing of these offers was different. The nolan proposal was during serge's reign, but the execution happened under Houle. Its quite possible that Lacroix no longer had the nolan deal on the table when Houle was in charge, and I believe that to be true because Lacroix found himself with more leverage after roy demanded to leave which allowed Keane to become a sweetener too.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Many players are in it for the wrong reasons imo. What Max says is mostly true, but I think that’s in the players, not Montreal.

If I was the star player in my sport I would welcome the opportunity to play in the sports Mecca, ie montreal/Toronto for hockey, but players don’t care about that anymore. They want their pay check and to be left alone. I would want to showcase my talents where they are appreciated the most. Oh well, we will likely never return to those days.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Many players are in it for the wrong reasons imo. What Max says is mostly true, but I think that’s in the players, not Montreal.

If I was the star player in my sport I would welcome the opportunity to play in the sports Mecca, ie montreal/Toronto for hockey, but players don’t care about that anymore. They want their pay check and to be left alone. I would want to showcase my talents where they are appreciated the most. Oh well, we will likely never return to those days.

some do... but that kind of drive/mindset doesn't mesh well at all with the controlling and short-sighted approach to coaching and management that we've seen in montreal for years. Hopefully Gorton is cut from a better cloth and builds a culture that supports and attracts athletes who want to shine in the brightest lights. They are out there, and our market offers a platform and spotlight that few other hockey markets can compete with.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He and Cammalleri are two players that did not like being booed. In their final seasons, both weren't producing and were booed. They could not stand it.

To be honest, they gave such good service that they shouldn't have been booed. They're both scorers that need someone to get them the puck, and it was management's fault for the weak center position.

Having said that, no Max, not everyone leaves on a bad note.
Well said. In my memory he was a good winger and a natural scorer. He wasn't the total package like Shanahan but I can't blame him for that. He was delivering what he was able to deliver. Like Cammalleri.

And like Cammalleri, he never had a true center. Blame management and scouting staff for that.
Sure there is some bitterness in that comment but he's human afterall and it's refreshing to read the real feelings of a player.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Koivu could have stayed forever, Markov, too. Kovalev wanted back. Ribeiro wants to coach the team. Bouillon works for the team. Gorges cried when he left. Gallagher will probably die on the ice battling for pucks. There are a ton of players that could stay forever.

But, EVERYONE wanted Patches gone. His talent and lacklustre play and his taking on too much responsibility sunk him. He wanted the captaincy, but it was too big for his shoulders. Paccio should not mistake his failure for some rule regarding MTL.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
IMO, he didn’t lie.

the issue is that he was put into a role way over his head.

he should’ve been our top sniper, maybe with a A and nothing more than that.

Montreal is an incredibly demanding market and he never had the outward bulletproof self confidence to handle it.

the club has a terrible habit of pushing people into roles that they clearly cannot handle. Patches is just example 500 out of 1000.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Pacioretty was one of the best scoring LWers in the game during his time in Montreal. He pretty much carried the offense at the forward position during the regular season. He gave Desharnais a career.

I'm shocked at the attitude some have towards him. Yeah, he didn't step in the POs, but he's literally one of the best goal scorers the habs have had in the last three decades. We currently don't have anyone in the line up that is as productive as him.

The fact that some are shitting on what was an honest and productive player kind of proves his point.

2012-16 was an absolute wasted period for the Habs and it will take me a long time to forgive Therrien and Bergevin for how they bungled that roster.

Reactions: MasterD and LarryO

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
The nolan proposal was during serge's reign, but the execution happened under Houle. Its quite possible that Lacroix no longer had the nolan deal on the table when Houle was in charge, and I believe that to be true because Lacroix found himself with more leverage after roy demanded to leave which allowed Keane to become a sweetener too.

Nolan had already been moved earlier that season for Ozolinsh

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
So Pacioretty thinks everyone has a shelf life in Montreal?
Kind of an odd culinary statement coming from a guy who couldn't stand the heat of a kitchen.

Reactions: amethyst

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So Pacioretty thinks everyone has a shelf life in Montreal?
Kind of an odd culinary statement coming from a guy who couldn't stand the heat of a kitchen.
But he could, and he did..........the guy had the ball$ to say what he thought, and he also produced, more often than not...
When he tanked, was when Radulov and Markov were shown the door, the summer of 2017 when Bergevin screwed the pooch............and then accused his C and the team for mailing it in, at Camp.....when after such a disaster of an offseason, even Price was left to wonder WTF just happened.

Don't blame Max at all.......if he was still here, he would be our best forward.

Reactions: zeeto

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
He surely found that, rather quick, for himself.

We all live and die, at some point. So yes, everyone has a shelf life.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If I’m not mistaken the team just told Saku they’d be moving on and didn’t offer him a contract.

Maybe I’m not remembering that correctly though.

Yes, that did happen, but the topic is that he left on bad terms.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
Fiset was bad, but I tend to agree with you.

Nolan was the best player out of anything else the habs ended up getting, and they would have retained Keane too.

The habs probably envisioned Thibault to become the best player in the package coming back to Montreal, but it didn't work out that way.

In retrospect, you take the nolan deal, and expedite the goalie weakness through the trade/FA market.

However, we also have to remember the timing of these offers was different. The nolan proposal was during serge's reign, but the execution happened under Houle. Its quite possible that Lacroix no longer had the nolan deal on the table when Houle was in charge, and I believe that to be true because Lacroix found himself with more leverage after roy demanded to leave which allowed Keane to become a sweetener too.
Right, Keane’s comments on the lack of necessity for the Habs’ captain to speak French pissed off the usual suspects in the press, and he became a throw-in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad