OT: PA announcer John Ashbridge has passed away

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Brutal. Great voice, guy was a legend on CKNW and as the PA announcer at the arena. That stinks, RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: NucksRock

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
How terribly sad. We were so fortunate to have an announcer whose voice was never irritating.

RIP

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
It is with great Sadness that this news comes tonight. The Canucks were terrible when I was a kid growing up in the 80"s but we had the best Play By Play Broadcaster in Jim Robson.... and the best PA announcer in John Ashbridge

God Bless you and your Family and thank you for the Memories

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I LOVED his voice, it sounded incredible in the arena. This is very sad, one of the best ever at the PA job.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Awful news... think one of my favourite moments was when he got a little choked up when announcing Linden as the 1st star in his final game.

Reactions: mcnucker

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Incredibly sad news.

For most of us, his voice was synonymous with the Canucks and we never knew any other. Even in the '90s, most of the league already had rah-rah collegiate-style announcers who would treat it as their job to fire up the crowd for the home team, but Ashbridge had this classy demeanor that he wouldn't waver from unless something was really important, and even then he'd only let a hint of satisfaction creep into his voice.

I became an active fan during the 1990-91 season, and his call on the winning OT goal in the Canucks' final regular-season game that propelled them to the playoffs at the end of a long turtle derby with Winnipeg is still completely etched into my brain. Cliché as it is, I can hear it mentally like it was yesterday. There was some doubt as to whether Trevor Linden's shot had gone straight in (which would have made it his 34th goal of the season) or whether Geoff Courtnall had tipped it (which would have been his 33rd), and in the midst of the excitement Robson/Larscheid were wondering aloud who it was...

Almost as if reading their mind from ice level, Ashbridge announced the goal with a what can only be described as a vocal wink, putting special emphasis on "thirty-third of the season", after which Robson confirmed "It's Courtnall!"

Of course with 14+ teams now missing the playoffs instead of 5, that Canuck squad would never have sniffed the postseason, but given its importance at the time (especially to young teenaged me) that one goal and its announcement still resonates big time with me today.

"Vancouver goal, his thirty-third of the season... scored on the power play... in overtime... by number ten... Geoff Courtnall!"

Goddamn it, now I'm tearing up.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
He was such a big part of the Canucks game experience. You can tell how much he was respected by the outpouring of support from past colleagues this morning.

A true Vancouver legend. He'll be missed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Voice of my childhood - Wyatt put it pretty well perfectly: every Canucks fan who grew up playing hockey dreamed of his voice announcing our goals. :(

I had the pleasure of talking with him before our Alumni game in Kitimat in April (he was going to attend but ultimately had to bow out due to his health). I was working on flight details and had to track down full legal names for all the participants. Wikipedia was a good resource for a lot of them. Anyway, I emailed the Alumni director that I'd had that good fortune but still needed a few names including Mr. Ashbridge's. Imagine my surprise when the next person to email me is John himself, quipping "I don't have a Wikipedia page because I'm not famous like those other guys!"

A very kind, humble man. With the voice of God. RIP, Mr. Ashbridge.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Sad news. Legendary voice. One thing I can't stand now is how TV broadcasts rarely pick up the in house public address voice on goal and penalty calls. I used to be familiar with most arena's voices and styles.,. I am not sure why they don't have the voices more prominent, but I'd wager it has something to do with selling more ads...somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad