Series Discussion: (P1) Anaheim Ducks vs (WC1) Calgary Flames

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
https://thewincolumnblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/high-stick-scientific-analysis-of-nate-thompsons-goal/

Have a feeling this is Anglesmith's blog. What with the math and the science.

Put the Ocho in for Game 4, it's no different than what you've been doing all year after a goalie had a bad game. Would also like to see Lazar in. And for the Flames to win one ****ing playoff game.

Haha naw. Honestly, this wasn't something that made me mad last night, really. It's ultimately down to the call on the ice 9 times out of 10 due to the lack of proper camera angles, and it's extremely difficult for them to see it accurately live.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Whatever happens between now and the end of the series, I really hope management doesn't go out and do anything hilariously drastic, like fail to extend Brad, or sink another 4+ million into garbage players, or trade any of the good players that the Flames actually have.

The Flames are capable of playing good to great hockey and next year should be even better.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Whatever happens between now and the end of the series, I really hope management doesn't go out and do anything hilariously drastic, like fail to extend Brad, or sink another 4+ million into garbage players, or trade any of the good players that the Flames actually have.

The Flames are capable of playing good to great hockey and next year should be even better.

New goaltender?

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Does anybody else really want to see gillies in net tomorrow? Realistically we're probably not bringing Elliott or Johnson back and gillies will be our backup next year. There's no way we win the series now, so give him a shot.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
New goaltender?

I mean even with playoff worst goaltending they've only been outscored by 3 goals. They just need to find someone average at best.

Drastic would be trading Gaudreau for Matt Murray or something.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would really like to see Gillies in net tomorrow. They've got nothing to lose.

But it's almost definitely not going to be Gillies starting; most probably Elliott though with a small chance of Johnson.

Johnson hasn't played in a long while and book's out on him anyway (glove side is automatic); going with him is essentially spotting the Ducks a two or three goal lead. Elliott's struggled mightily since game one and decent chance an already mentally weak group has lost their confidence in him. But there's no way the Flames, given their veteran first approach, go with a rookie. Present day Flames probably wouldn't have even added a 31 year old Makarov because he had 0 NHL experience.

Kind of funny though that the Ducks have a pair of rookies aged 21 and 22 playing key minutes on their defence and are up 3-0. But it's all luck and clearly has nothing to do with development.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Does anybody else really want to see gillies in net tomorrow? Realistically we're probably not bringing Elliott or Johnson back and gillies will be our backup next year. There's no way we win the series now, so give him a shot.

Yes and most on CP want Gillies as well.

What's the point in putting Elliott or Johnson in? Try and claw you're way back in the series? Why not do it with your future goalie rather than two guys you won't bring back. No way they bring back Elliott after these playoffs.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would really like to see Gillies in net tomorrow. They've got nothing to lose.
Except they literally have 2 things to lose, the game and the series. If Gulutzan throws in the towel by throwing a guy with 1 career start into net, he deserves to be fired the moment he turns in the line-up card.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Lazar in for Bouma, literally anyone (but wideman) in for Bartkowski, and who cares in net

game 4 is ripe for the taking

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
It'll be Elliott, he was the horse that brought us here, he's going to be the one GG goes with. He'll expect him to be a battler after the game 3 debacle and come up large.

You only plan to win one game at a time and although very few believe we have a hope in coming back in this series, GG's focus is micro, not macro at the moment.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Gillies had looked convincing in his start, it might be a little more of a decision, but he had poor rebound control and looked nervous. His performance in the AHL doesn't make it seem like he's fully cooked, either.

As much as you want him to get more looks at the NHL level, I don't think the pressure-cooker of an elimination game is the right environment. You could really hurt his confidence if he got lit up.

Elliott played us into the playoffs. He deserves to have the ball in his hands when it's on the line. You can't knee-jerk yourself into a mistake.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is pretty short-sighted stuff. I don't even think Gillies thinks Gillies should play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It'll be Elliott, he was the horse that brought us here, he's going to be the one GG goes with. He'll expect him to be a battler after the game 3 debacle and come up large.

You only plan to win one game at a time and although very few believe we have a hope in coming back in this series, GG's focus is micro, not macro at the moment.
It's like people have forgotten Kirprusoff's poor games, they weren't exactly rare, he would just follow them up with great games. In fact they have forgotten all together how Kipper was good for a softie a game for the most part.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Elliott lets in a weak goal early in game 4 you give him the hook right away and put Johnson in.

I feel like we lose tomorrow though no matter who we start. Don't want to be pessimistic but my gut says we lose. My gut said we'd win all the other games though so who knows.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Except they literally have 2 things to lose, the game and the series. If Gulutzan throws in the towel by throwing a guy with 1 career start into net, he deserves to be fired the moment he turns in the line-up card.

GG deserves to be fired already the way he ran this playoff

Too bad, he was doing a good job but the guy has some fatal flaws. I doubt if he can bring this club to be a contender unless he makes some major self changes

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

Too bad, he was doing a good job but the guy has some fatal flaws. I doubt if he can bring this club to be a contender unless he makes some major self changes

What kind of changes are you suggesting GG needs to make to keep his job, and/or coach them into contention?

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I think we will just see Lazar in for Bouma.

I really can't see GG taking Elliott out. As bad as he was last game, he's a battler and had to battle through adversity all his career. We can do nothing except pray that he will come back mentally strong and not let bad goals get to his head. Starting Gillies is nothing more than setting him up for failure.

Somebody needs to give Johnny a kick in the arse though. He seems confused whether to shoot or pass in situations. He appears to be giving no ****s in the defensive zone, which has also been the case for parts of the regular season. Some evident lack of effort in the D zone last game when he literally let a Ducks player cut across the middle where he could've stood in his way or used his stick more fiercely. At one point he also gave up chasing the puck carrier in the D zone when he clearly should've because it was an Anaheim rush.

I hope Guy Gaudreau is giving Johnny the hockey dad treatment with some calls since GG strikes me as someone who doesn't really call out his top players.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

I disagree. And further, I'll remind everyone here that we (this very board) were screaming our heads off early in the season when this team was still getting used to GG's system. And so the brilliant plan moving forward is to thrust a brand new system upon them? Good luck replicating the kind of sensational run we needed to get back into the race this year. That kind of stuff is one in a million.

If we can expect players to learn and grow from season to season, why can't we expect the same of our coach, who will actually get a full season of his players buying in to the system next year?

I think we will just see Lazar in for Bouma.

I really can't see GG taking Elliott out. As bad as he was last game, he's a battler and had to battle through adversity all his career. We can do nothing except pray that he will come back mentally strong and not let bad goals get to his head. Starting Gillies is nothing more than setting him up for failure.

Somebody needs to give Johnny a kick in the arse though. He seems confused whether to shoot or pass in situations. He appears to be giving no ****s in the defensive zone, which has also been the case for parts of the regular season. Some evident lack of effort in the D zone last game when he literally let a Ducks player cut across the middle where he could've stood in his way or used his stick more fiercely. At one point he also gave up chasing the puck carrier in the D zone when he clearly should've because it was an Anaheim rush.

I hope Guy Gaudreau is giving Johnny the hockey dad treatment with some calls since GG strikes me as someone who doesn't really call out his top players.

Agreed on this. Lazar in for someone is most likely. Would like to see anyone in for Bartkowski but that's doubtful since Bart is GG's guy. Also it's probably most likely Elliott starting because coaches tend to go with the guy that got them there. Johnson would be interesting but doubtful. Starting Gillies is a laughable idea.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
If anyone is in for Bartkoski it will be Wideman. I'm 99.9% sure he's the only extra defenceman we have up.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As terrible as Elliott has been (and he has been terrible), throwing Gillies into a pressure cooker must win game won't do anyone any favors.

We should ride or die with Elliott.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the coaches will evaluate every scenario with their netminders between Elliott, Johnson and Gillies. All discussions will lead back to Elliott, they really do not have a choice. Johnson has done nothing in the last 2 months to show he's a better option at getting a W than Elliott. There is more reason to suggest that Elliott will bounce back.

And lastly starting Gillies makes no sense. You're talking about putting a kid with 1 NHL game under his belt in a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs and what is also the most important position on the ice. That just wreaks of setting him up to fail. It what it is, if we lose so be it we have next season, if we win that's awesome and good for Elliott.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I think we can win this one. Its winning game 5 that worries me. Having said that if we did win game the next 2 games that would plant a seed of doubt on Anaheim as they can't win a game 7 at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad