Series Discussion: (P1) Anaheim Ducks vs (WC1) Calgary Flames

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
IMO Bennett has been playing fantastic these last 3 games. Him, Versteeg and Monny have really taken it to another level these playoffs

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
IMO Bennett has been playing fantastic these last 3 games. Him, Versteeg and Monny have really taken it to another level these playoffs

Bennett and Mony have really impressed me, on the other hand Tkachuk and Gaudreau not so much, but hopefully this experience helps for the future.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
You simply can't win with goaltending like that.

Brian Elliott should never start another game for this organization again.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You simply can't win with goaltending like that.

Brian Elliott should never start another game for this organization again.

I honestly believe it's better to give him a little more rope to hang himself with a la Hiller. So that the two groups are completely done with one another. He cannot leave saying we didn't give him a chance when he ran into a small unlucky period. We have an objective piece of information to cut ties. "Blew it in ploffs"

The only reason why I would contemplate not doing that, is if it gives us a chance to sign Elliott as a back up for less than he makes now.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Per TSN:

Calgary Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan would not commit to Brian Elliott as his starting goalie for Game 4 against the Anaheim Ducks.

The Flames are facing elimination, down 3-0 to the Ducks in their first round playoff series, and Elliott is coming off a tough Game 3, allowing five goals on 27 shots in the Flames' 5-4 overtime loss to the Ducks.

For the series, Elliott has a 3.67 goals against average and .887 save percentage.
Gulutzan said he would make his decision on who will start in net later Tuesday night.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
See. I think Johnny has been alright since game 1. The problem is that he can't be just "alright." He needs to step his game up too and play big. Monahan, Bennett, Backlund, have all stepped up. But Johnny has so much skill he can do more.

I thought Elliott was horrible last night. Yes there were deflections and bad bounces but he was below average. I'm an Elliott fan too but after this I don't think it's wise to commit to him as your No. 1.

Anyhow I'm going to the game tomorrow and cheering for a game 5. One game at a time

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I am typically a very negative fan (a way to shield myself from heartbreak) and criticize the Flames and always have a way to justify why they didn't deserve to win games they lost and sometimes even won. Game one was close, and I do believe the Flames were the better team slightly but penalties killed us. Game two was an awful start (Elliott specifically) followed up by 50 minutes of Flames being by far the better team but an unlucky no goal and penalties still bite us in the ass. Game three yet again the Flames are SIGNIFICANTLY the better team and Elliott played what he better hope is the worst game of his career because holy crap was that pure garbage. I was at the game and had my heart completely broken less than 12 hours before a big audit exam (which also did not go too well...). The most frustrating part about this is for once I actually watch the Flames and think alright the Flames deserve to win this game. What's the result three times in a row? One goal loss off of completely terrible goaltending, freak bounces, and questionable allowed/disallowed goals. It is nice that they are playing a much closer game than two years but I would rather lose games they deserve to lose cause **** this hurts.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Anyhow I'm going to the game tomorrow and cheering for a game 5. One game at a time

Agreed.

Random...
I sorta miss how Hartley used to do those 7 game... evaluations or whatever it was. Kept the kids playing with a mentality that didn't keep them looking too far and focusing on what is in front of them. Pros and Cons I guess. Something I'd like Gully to integrate into his method a little bit.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Both of the first two goals were awful there is no excuse for that in the playoffs. I don't really like or dislike Elliot but the last two games he's let up at least 4 weak goals (the first two in both games).

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Agreed.

Random...
I sorta miss how Hartley used to do those 7 game... evaluations or whatever it was. Kept the kids playing with a mentality that didn't keep them looking too far and focusing on what is in front of them. Pros and Cons I guess. Something I'd like Gully to integrate into his method a little bit.

Pretty much every coach does teh 7 game thing. Both Darryl and Brent did it too. Wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Gully does too.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
Bennett and Mony have really impressed me, on the other hand Tkachuk and Gaudreau not so much, but hopefully this experience helps for the future.

Yeah I really thought Tkachuk would be a lot better considering how he played in the playoffs last year with London and the Memorial Cup.

To me, Gaudreau seems like he's scared when he has the puck for some reason..

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Pretty much every coach does teh 7 game thing. Both Darryl and Brent did it too. Wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Gully does too.

Yeah, but Hartley would actually acknowledge it in pressers. But perhaps I'm just reminiscing the good old days or Hartleyisms.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Anyway, we have to win 4 straight. If we don't, I'll give my unbridled analysis of some of our key components then.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Yeah I really thought Tkachuk would be a lot better considering how he played in the playoffs last year with London and the Memorial Cup.

To me, Gaudreau seems like he's scared when he has the puck for some reason..

I think Johnny has to have a serious reset over the off season. I do think Anaheim is in his head because they beat the **** out of us two years ago and they beat us up most times they play us. I think this year is what it is and has had numerous hiccups along the way (contract stall, broken hand etc) but once it's said and done, Johnny has to increase his strength, maybe put on a tiny bit of weight, get in excellent condition for next season and then come ready to bust his ass and be confident. Hey, stars like Patrick Kane had injury and down years before they became bonafied superstars. Yeah, as much as a fan I am of Johnny's, and as much as I along with most have seen otherworldly talent, he is unfortunately tiny and sits in an uncomfortable spot between being "okay" or even a bust (for the contract size) and being a star. He's got to overcome what might be a massive hurdle and be the star we've all banked on, or he's going to go down as a disappointment.

Was going to save that for the off season, but that's my analysis and rant on Gaudreau :rant:

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Tkachuk hasn't been right since the Doughty incident. Not sure what's going on there but he's definitely off his game right now.

I think Johnny has to have a serious reset over the off season. I do think Anaheim is in his head because they beat the **** out of us two years ago, they beat us up most times they play us, and they broke his hand earlier in the year. I think this year is what it is and has had numerous hiccups along the way, but once it's said and done, Johnny has to increase his strength, maybe put on a tiny bit of weight, get in excellent condition for next season and then come ready to bust his ass and be confident. Hey, stars like Patrick Kane had injury and down years before they became bonafied superstars. Yeah, as much as a fan I am of Johnny's, and as much as I along with most have seen otherworldly talent, he is unfortunately tiny and sits in an uncomfortable spot between being "okay" or even a bust (for the contract size) and being a star. He's got to overcome what might be a massive hurdle and be the star we've all banked on, or he's going to go down as a disappointment.

Was going to save that for the off season, but that's my analysis and east on Gaudreau :rant:

Not to nitpick but Johnny broke his hand vs Minnesota, not Anaheim.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Tkachuk hasn't been right since the Doughty incident. Not sure what's going on there but he's definitely off his game right now.

Not to nitpick but Johnny broke his hand vs Minnesota, not Anaheim.

Oops, that's right . . . Will edit. My bad.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

I was talking to my friend about this yesterday, and the only thing we came up with is that the coaching staff or management have him on a short leash, I could be completely off like I normally am but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Was that the high stick goal?

Anyway, after they made it 4-3 IMO we should have taken a real one.

Nah, after they scored goal #2 and hit a post 30 seconds later, it was the second intermission. Tide was already turned at that point.

If they can't come out in the third with a different mentality, a 30 second timeout later in the game isn't going to do ****.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I seem to recall Gully saying he does 4 game segments.

I've been quiet after the Flames loss last night, but you know what we need? We need to play a full bloody 60 minutes, and that includes everybody.

The Flames are a really good team and so are the Ducks. However we aren't good enough where we can only play 40 minutes and expect to still win the game. They deserved to lose last night because of how they played in the final frame.

While the philosophy can be debated, the bottom line is they took their foot off the gas and the Ducks made them pay. The problem with this team is not the talent, I truly believe we're better than the Ducks especially with the injuries they have. Our problem is 100% mental.

We can't beat the Ducks in Anaheim.

We can't stay disciplined.

We can't play a full 60 min.

We can't have a game without allowing a bad goal.

It's one excuse after the next. If this team wants to win anything, every player needs to look in the mirror and its gut check time. If every player truly gave it 100% and did what they are EXPECTED OR ASKED TO, the Ducks probably wouldn't win another game.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016

I think its a direct consequence how the org (GG, Conroy?) handled his Doughty "incident." Kid shows balls and what does he get in return? An earful that he needs to tone it down yadda yadda yadda. Now he looks totally neutered, not playing his game at all.

Same thing with Ferland who's apparently a first line sniper now. Play to your players strengths you clowns. What a joke.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
giphy.gif

Agree 100%. It's mental. But it does seems that the team is learning. which is encouraging.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
giphy.gif

Agree 100%. It's mental. But it does seems that the team is learning. which is encouraging.

Well they're young, so honestly it's to be expected and that's why you want some vets who have won and been there. But are Bartowski and Versteeg really the leaders you want? Steeg has been great, but he wouldn't be my main guy. I think Brouwer and Frolik are really looked up to as well.

I guess the frustrating part for me is that this team has been fragile since going back to prime Iggy days. But I feel like the Gaudreau's, Monahan's, Bennett's and Tkachuk's of this group have what it takes to be winning core because of their makeup. But as you said it's a learning process and figuring out how to take that next step.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Honestly I think one year this team is going to break out and be a juggernaut for years to come.

I think the Flames are very close to being a great team but it just doesn't look like it's this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->