P.A Parenteau Discussion

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
his hero stats are impressive (combined last 3 years), I think he could be great on our second line, maybe even first without Phil. I want to make a game day thread based around misfit island Haha.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
his hero stats are impressive (combined last 3 years), I think he could be great on our second line, maybe even first without Phil. I want to make a game day thread based around misfit island Haha.

This team really does have the potential of being the misfit island of toys, where the sum is greater than the parts.

The HEROs of our acquisitions:

I'm including Winnik here because we didn't necessarily have to resign him, and his production was not impressive. Despite that, management saw to resign him.

AzV6GR6.png

For a guy who is slated to play on the 2nd/3rd line, he is really top-end at shot suppression, and even pretty good at generating assists.

PAP:

M12Qykr.png

PAP is basically the best 2nd liner in the past 3 years in every category, and fits that definition in ATOI.

Arcobello:

k2DpF0d.png

A 3rd line offensive producer, and a 1st line possession player.

Shawn Matthias:

Eu9n8mO.png

Really the only signing that doesn't have a much higher Corsi than relative to where he's expected to play. I maintain that Matthias needs to stay on the fourth line.. even if we roll four lines.

Marincin:

OsizJlk.png

Marincin will be a bottom pairing guy, and from there, he will be superb at controlling play.

Hunwick:

qpIKmSX.png

Likely joining Marincin on the bottom pair, they will really form a great possession pair.

It is very clear that this team is experimenting with a moneyball team construction approach that focuses on high possession players being undervalued in their net contribution to winning hockey games. I think it will work to the extent that we'll lose a lot less games by lop-sided scores, and that means that we can win a few more in the SO.

The top lines remain weak, though, so it'll be hard to see an increase in ROWs.... now, when Marner and Nylander join the team, we'll be flying.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
You guys did great on this acquisition. He's on pace to set a career high in goals, I don't know about his other play, but 20 goals and 40 points for $1M is fantastic. Good job blue bros.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
You guys did great on this acquisition. He's on pace to set a career high in goals, I don't know about his other play, but 20 goals and 40 points for $1M is fantastic. Good job blue bros.

He has been average defensively, but I think he is alot more hard working than I imagined. Cheers!

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Out of all the off-season signing he has been by far my favourite.

I should say "new" because I mean aside from Leo of course ...

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Parenteau-vechkin has been exactly what we hoped.

Mason Raymond v2, with Grabner being Mason Raymond v3.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
What's funny is that the Habs did away with him, and brought in Semin....talk about a mistake. They must be salty as hell right now. Habs can't buy goals right now, and this guy is selling them (cheap !).

I hope you guys don't move him at the deadline (if you are sellers), that would be a mistake I think. He's too useful and cheap to bother moving for a pick. Every team needs a PAP, we pay ours (Michalek) $4M !!

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
What's funny is that the Habs did away with him, and brought in Semin....talk about a mistake. They must be salty as hell right now. Habs can't buy goals right now, and this guy is selling them (cheap !).

I hope you guys don't move him at the deadline (if you are sellers), that would be a mistake I think. He's too useful and cheap to bother moving for a pick. Every team needs a PAP, we pay ours (Michalek) $4M !!

I'm actually really hoping we keep him, just like I wanted us to keep Clarky Mac. Sometimes, holding onto a player that does everything you ask is better than trying to get a player who COULD POTENTIALLY do more.

Bird in the hand and all that.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Was it really a mistake? Or do players with skill just have zero chance using their skill in Therrien's system?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

They have to trade him.

As good as he's been on his current contract, his value decreases considerably with a 3M+ contract and who knows if he goes through another big slump in play and goes through a lot of injuries again.

This is the perfect time to cash in on a pending UFA having a great season offensively. He's nowhere near a core or long-term player. This is what the Leafs wanted out of him when they signed him.

I'll be pretty miffed if the Leafs re-sign him or if they lose him for nothing at the end of the year. They simply can't be making the same mistakes Burke and Nonis did.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

Teams that don't want to move out of the bottom 5 in the standings (namely, the Leafs) don't need a guy like PAP. We can kill two birds with one stone by moving him, add maybe a 3rd round pick, as well as help our chances of getting a top 5 pick.

Not to mention that, PAP is likely to not be so cheap after this year, and these types of depth players can be found cheap in the scrap heap every year. The Leafs have had a string of such signings: Macarthur, Raymond, Santorelli, Winnik, and now PAP.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is there an indicator that shows a thread is old?
I saw this and thought he had been re-signed.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We signed him, on the chance he would be good enough to be moved for further assets. Stick with the plan.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Is there an indicator that shows a thread is old?
I saw this and thought he had been re-signed.

Did it not read Parenteau signed 1 year, $1.5 million?

How did you think that meant he was re-signed?

But, I usually just go in the thread and take a look at the date of posts if I am unsure. Quite simple.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

He's 32, on a rebuilding club who needs more picks, and is having his best season in a few years. Now is absolutely the time to trade him. He's not a long-term fixture on this team.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Did it not read Parenteau signed 1 year, $1.5 million?

How did you think that meant he was re-signed?

He signed in July, if he signed again would that not be re-signed?

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'm actually really hoping we keep him, just like I wanted us to keep Clarky Mac. Sometimes, holding onto a player that does everything you ask is better than trying to get a player who COULD POTENTIALLY do more.

Bird in the hand and all that.

Clarke MacArthur is actually a great example why there shouldn't be any hesitation to trade Parenteau.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Parenteau has exceeded my expectations and since being combined with Bozak and JVR, his production has gone through the roof, this is like getting a free wallet and I think he should be re-signed to an additional 2-3 year contract in the 2.5-3 mill range.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Clarke MacArthur is actually a great example why there shouldn't be any hesitation to trade Parenteau.

Good call, it is similar.

Leafs will have a tough call on him if they keep winning.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Parenteau has exceeded my expectations and since being combined with Bozak and JVR, his production has gone through the roof, this is like getting a free wallet and I think he should be re-signed to an additional 2-3 year contract in the 2.5-3 mill range.

Or, we could trade him for a draft pick, and sign another guy with potential to exceed expectations in the off-season. Or, like we did with Winnik, potentially sign PAP again this off-season after trading him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad