Management Ownership: Jeremy Jacobs & Family

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
1 cup in 50 years and we are "spoiled rotten"? :biglaugh:
They are so spoiled, they started using the 1 Cup in 50 years thing a year or two before, when it was 2 Cups in 50. All because they couldn't be patient.

Veruca Salt was totally a Bruins fans.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think we all know the B's are now in rough seas as there are teams in the Atlantic that have been bottom feeders that are now trending up.

Jacobs gave the keys to Harry for 30 years

Charlie convinced Papa that they needed to bring in an outsider to run hockey ops and Chia was hired but they also hired Cameron to be the public face of the club.

Thankfully the B's did not overreact after the 2010 disaster with the Flyers but Cam was ready to fire Chia and Julien in 2011 but...................

A Jacobs owned team has made it to the SCF 7 times

1977, 1978, 1988, 1990, 2011, 2013, 2019

:dunno:

1979 didn't get to the finals but losing to the Canadiens in Game 7 OT was virtually a final. Closer to the Cup than most of the other finals appearances.

In 30 years of Sinden as GM only Montreal & Philadelphia had a better record over that time. Only Montreal and Edmonton scored goals at a higher rate. And only Montreal, Philly, Edmonton and the Isles won more playoff games.

Reactions: Bradely and Kegs

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I remember when they lost to the Flyers in 2010, Chiarelli cited that they were the only franchise in the league to make it to the 2nd round both of the past two seasons.

Then, Charlie points to the .600+ regular season winning percentage during Sweeney's tenure.

The whole thing smacked of "More days in first place".
They're clearly happy to perpetually just be in the mix.

Starts at the top.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Personally, I don't really care if the owner of the sports teams I cheer for actually cares about the sport or winning in general. As long as they supply the money and keep the public embaressment episodes to a bare minimum or better yet, non-existent, they're doing their job in my eyes. It's up to the management and players to find success.

For some business types, what they run is a passion project. For others, it's all about making money. Either way isn't wrong or more right than the other. Everything changes when it's your money on the line and you're the one spending it - EVERYTHING. It's hard to see that as a fan/customer.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
This.

Spending to the cap is the bare minimum. It's the cheaping out on the behind the scenes things like facilities, scouts, support staff, etc.

I think there was a report last year that the Bruins are one of if not the leading team in assets spent on their analytical department. The training facility at warrior seems pretty top notch as well.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
This.

Spending to the cap is the bare minimum. It's the cheaping out on the behind the scenes things like facilities, scouts, support staff, etc.
The facilities part I agree with as there's no reason in today's day/age for bad ice period. But with staff and scouts etc - is it being cheap or not having the "right" people as judged by the fanbase. A large contingent here feel if you don't win the cup you have the wrong people and to me that generalization is flawed.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I hate to be the guy to defend him every time, but here I am again. Jeremy Jacobs is a good owner, and dare I say he may be the best owner in professional hockey.

The owner's job isn't to win cups. It's to maintain an efficient business and lead an organization that is profitable with a sustainable balance sheet. He provides the budget to the hockey operations department and it's hockey operations' job to use those resources to put the team on the ice with the goal of winning. And Hockey Ops is accountable to ownership because winning/losing affects the balance sheet, etc. And in the cap world, you can't blame ownership for being cheap anymore.

The characterization of Jacobs as just money grubbing and leeching off the Bruins isn't even true. There have been some NHL owners who were rapacious grifters looking to line their own pockets - Bruce McNall, the Atlanta group, etc. Jacobs by contrast has set up a very healthy organization with a long-term scope. Per Forbes the Bruins are the 5th most valuable franchise in the league, but they're actually in healthier shape than the organizations ahead of them: the Rangers (1) and Leafs' (2) ownership groups are really leveraged. Like, majorly. The Habs (3) are always at the mercy of politics and local economics, and since the last Forbes list came out the Blackhawks (4) have taken massive hits to their value for on and off ice reasons. The Bruins are not leveraged very much at all compared to the rest of the league, they own their own television and arena, just opened a new practice rink and other facilities in the last few years, etc.

In a 32 team league it's hard to win a cup. But the Bruins have consistently been in the hunt for the last 13 years and made it to three finals and got one cup over that span. The idea of an owner going all in with resources or meddling in operations because they treat the franchise like a toy and winning becomes a higher goal than stability like a Jerry Jones type usually causes more trouble than success (look at Jerry Jones' Cowboys). The Rangers, Leafs, and Habs haven't won anything in a long time. But there's some perception that Dolan cares more because he can be a spendthrift, but they usually have a small window where they're competitive for 3 years then out of the playoffs for 5 years, etc. Snyder in Philly was the same, chasing cups and failing for 30 years causing rebuilds every 4 years. At least the Bruins have sustained something.

People mainly hate that JJ didn't open the wallet to spend a lot on free agents back in the 90s when the Red Wings and Rangers were going crazy, etc. and they also blame him for Harry Sinden being too much of a hardass in negotiations. And the things that the Wings, Rangers, Blues, Stars, etc. were doing in the 90s led to a massive work stoppage and threatened the viability of the league.

Not trying to praise the guy and say he's perfect, but he's far too hated now and doesn't get credit for the good organization that he's built here. The Bruins might be the healthiest organization in the league financially right now and that will give hockey operations the resources to be competitive. It's on Neely/Sweeney to turn that into cups.
Rapacious Grifters

The name of my next band!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That NYT article was disturbing, but it's also worth keeping in mind that in certain places in certain industries in the 60s and 70s (earlier and later at times) it was pretty much impossible not to have some interaction with organized crime. It was the cost of doing business for many, if they wanted to keep doing business whether we are talking about flat out protection rackets, or union activities, or supply chains etc. It is what it is. I don't think it necessarily makes the Jacobs' any slimier or more corrupt than anyone else.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017
The real question is who are all of you people to judge him what have you done in your lifetime that makes you so much better of a business owner than Mr Jacobs how come he is elected on every board every major tournament every major decision he has set his family up nicely he is a very successful person in all areas of life so stop complaining just be glad we're not save our fans or coyote fans or basically half the league never wins anything anytime

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Really? So he spends as much as he can every season but somehow is cheap? Blame him if you want for the 90s early 2000s but please don't blame him for the past two decades he has spent to the cap would you rather have some of these other owners like in Buffalo Detroit Arizona list could go on and on the bruins for the past 2K decades have been much more successful than most of the NHL
He's not cheap - now that he has what he wanted.

But now that he has his Cap, he generally spends right up to it because he has to. Bruins fans would not settle for playoff cusp teams if they didn't spend to the Cap -- ultimately they'd vote with their asses (seats).

Reactions: BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
That NYT article was disturbing, but it's also worth keeping in mind that in certain places in certain industries in the 60s and 70s (earlier and later at times) it was pretty much impossible not to have some interaction with organized crime. It was the cost of doing business for many, if they wanted to keep doing business whether we are talking about flat out protection rackets, or union activities, or supply chains etc. It is what it is. I don't think it necessarily makes the Jacobs' any slimier or more corrupt than anyone else.
I don’t disagree. I just found it a really compelling read.

A throwback to a bygone era for sure.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Aside from the ice plant, how have they cheaped out (specifically) on things like facilities, scouts, support staff (analytics), etc?
This! The narrative of cheap owners has to stop.

The management group building the team should always be questioned. There have been some obvious dumb moves that have hurt this team.

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The real question is who are all of you people to judge him what have you done in your lifetime that makes you so much better of a business owner than Mr Jacobs how come he is elected on every board every major tournament every major decision he has set his family up nicely he is a very successful person in all areas of life so stop complaining just be glad we're not save our fans or coyote fans or basically half the league never wins anything anytime

If the rest of us also got handed a businesses late in our 20s from our father I am sure a few of us would also see similar success.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If the rest of us also got handed a businesses late in our 20s from our father I am sure a few of us would also see similar success.

Not necessarily. I know people who have inherited businesses and failed. Spectacularly. I inherited a business from my father and I have struggled at times to keep it going plus I know others who have gone through the same struggle.

There are no guarantees when it comes to success. Or failure for that matter.

Reactions: GordonHowe and Kegs

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Not necessarily. I know people who have inherited businesses and failed. Spectacularly. I inherited a business from my father and I have struggled at times to keep it going plus I know others who have gone through the same struggle.

There are no guarantees when it comes to success. Or failure for that matter.

That's why I said a "few of us" and not all. Luck plays an uncomfortably large factor in some businesses being successful vs others.

Also in this specific example the business Jacobs took over from his father was already well established. Its not like it was some budding startup that hadn't established its footing yet.

Reactions: Spooner st and BMC

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I think ownership is trying it’s best to be honest. I think they love the sport. I don’t know how much they care about the planet or world issues so I can’t make an opinion on if I like them or not :p. When I was a kid ownership was way worse. I think they have evolved and learned. I think they are better now then 20 years ago. Over all the last decade + has been very good. They spend to the cap. They appear to spend a lot on player development and scouting ? It’s easy to be an arm chair owner. But I think they are only getting better with time. I guess we will see. Technically there’s new ownership. Hopefully the offspring are even better than the father grew to be. At the end of his ownership he did win the cup which I’m thankful for. Lots of teams can’t seem to ever win the damn thing.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Personally, I don't really care if the owner of the sports teams I cheer for actually cares about the sport or winning in general. As long as they supply the money and keep the public embaressment episodes to a bare minimum or better yet, non-existent, they're doing their job in my eyes. It's up to the management and players to find success.

For some business types, what they run is a passion project. For others, it's all about making money. Either way isn't wrong or more right than the other. Everything changes when it's your money on the line and you're the one spending it - EVERYTHING. It's hard to see that as a fan/customer.
I care. And I really do think the jacobs family is trying to win.

First reason: rich ppl tend to be very competitive. I feel like owning a sports team is something only a very rich very competitive person would ever consider. Don’t most professional teams lose money?

Second reason: spend to cap. Lots of focus on player development.

Third reason: winning makes u way more money than losing. Show me a list of bad teams that still make money? Winning a cup means more $. The amount of merchandise they sell combined with ticket sales tv rights sponsorships ect.

Nike cited it best “winning takes care of everything”

Edit:googled the quote to make and fixed it :p

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
The fans are spoiled rotten? Seriously? JJ has made a TON of money off the spoiled Bruins fans in 50 plus years .

I'd say he's the spoiled one, the fans show up night in and night out for half a century lining his pockets.
Ya, totally spoiled rotten. We're like oh my god, what a crisis, we didn't win the cup this year, while so many other teams just dream of simply making the playoffs. That my friend, is spoiled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad